Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe I still haven't managed to make time to come see it for myself, and this from a Lamborghini fetishist. Sure I lust for a Biturbo, but because it's obtainable. Lamborghinis have always been my never going to happen apex predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

14 INCH DICK posted:

I can't believe I still haven't managed to make time to come see it for myself, and this from a Lamborghini fetishist. Sure I lust for a Biturbo, but because it's obtainable. Lamborghinis have always been my never going to happen apex predator.

We demand Lambo/Honda pictures.

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

They aren't as bad as you think. For instance you can get an 08 Gallardo for 70/80K and they are very reliable, far more than the Murci's. While I know that number it on the higher end for the median household income, it's still feasible for upper middle class I think.

A friend of mine has a Super Trofeo and he's a Seattle Police Officer and his wife teaches gradeschool. They saved for quite some time and chose to live about an hour out of Seattle (nice house but costs much less that far out) to do it.

Point being, you don't have to be "rich" to own something Italian.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

If you are going to get an older Gallardo (such as those that you will find for 70-80k) for the love of god do NOT get the e-gear. The older ones especially absolutely eat through clutches and I believe it's the same clutch in the Murcielago and will run you around $10k. The early ones go through them every 15k miles or so I've heard.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Worthington posted:

They aren't as bad as you think. For instance you can get an 08 Gallardo for 70/80K and they are very reliable, far more than the Murci's. While I know that number it on the higher end for the median household income, it's still feasible for upper middle class I think.

A friend of mine has a Super Trofeo and he's a Seattle Police Officer and his wife teaches gradeschool. They saved for quite some time and chose to live about an hour out of Seattle (nice house but costs much less that far out) to do it.

I don't know, the real problem seems to be where that money should be going.

Yeah, if you're a police officer and your wife is a schoolteacher, you could buy one of those, but it's just smarter to put that amount towards retirement, or your kid's college fund, or your mortgage...

If you can put that towards retiring and still still have the cash on hand to purchase an Italian exotic, that's when you really can afford one.

I'm not saying nobody that earns 70/80k can afford one, just that most can't afford one.

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

CornHolio posted:

Yeah, if you're a police officer and your wife is a schoolteacher, you could buy one of those, but it's just smarter to put that amount towards retirement, or your kid's college fund, or your mortgage...

If you can put that towards retiring and still still have the cash on hand to purchase an Italian exotic, that's when you really can afford one.

I'm not saying nobody that earns 70/80k can afford one, just that most can't afford one.

Good points Corn.

They are good stewards with their money. Daughter's education is paid, house is paid and I would assume they are in a good place with retirement.

One thing to keep in mind, a number of these cars actually appreciate in value too. He had his Superleggera for 2 years, tracked it a few times and put plenty of miles on it and still made a nice profit when he upgraded.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
How is the gated shifter in that? It looks like the gates are notched to smoothly guide the lever into the next gate which is a nice little touch.

Edit: Also my friend shipped his 1M and Mclaren MP4-12C to Seattle, you should probably hang out with him :v:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 14, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Worthington posted:

What do we have available in the $200/mo including insurance and upkeep category

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

Muffinpox posted:

How is the gated shifter in that? It looks like the gates are notched to smoothly guide the lever into the next gate which is a nice little touch.

Edit: Also my friend shipped his 1M and Mclaren MP4-12C to Seattle, you should probably hang out with him :v:

Right on, there are 2 that come out actively, third one was just sold -to be replaced with an Aventador.

What color is his?

Worthington
Mar 8, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

What do we have available in the $200/mo including insurance and upkeep category

Insurance might put you over though.

Good news is that it doesn't take much space in the garage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CornHolio posted:

If you can afford two, then you can afford one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH DICK posted:

Well, my insurance is $80/month for full coverage, upkeep consists of typical maintenance.

How bad do you want a Saturn?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

14 INCH DICK posted:

We have for you a beetle with a really bad Testarossa body kit. And a bag of finest Washington state owl pellets.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

The shifter is fantastic. It's very, very crisp and I've never even come close to missing a gear. The edges guide you towards the next gear, and it wants to be in neutral so if you leave it alone it will pop back there.

The clutch is also very light, oddly. I believe it's hydraulic and I know mine is aftermarket.

Was running errands in it today, and got stuck behind a school bus. About a dozen junior high aged kids came sprinting out to pose next to the car before the light turned. I had to rev it for them to 7500 and drove off to them cheering.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

That's one hell of a good effort. I'm sure it's something he'll always remember.

Remembering something for a few months shouldn't be too hard

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dislike button posted:

Remembering something for a few months shouldn't be too hard

You're obviously harsh and edgy, a true badass.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I keep seeing a newish lambo in the mill creek area with seahawks livery all over it, can't decide if it's a team member with poor taste or not.

edit: that lamborghini lab is amazingly cool, would love to work there.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 16, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I keep seeing a newish lambo in the mill creek area with seahawks livery all over it, can't decide if it's a team member with poor taste or not.

edit: that lamborghini lab is amazingly cool, would love to work there.

I'm pretty sure that's Roy Cats (dealership owner) car. I've seen it at his dealership a couple of times.

I really don't think a team member would advertise that much. They get enough attention as is.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Here's the engine in the car:

And out of the car:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
again? goddamn son. and I thought Rovers were allergic to powertrains.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Comrade Flynn posted:

I had to rev it for them to 7500 and drove off to them cheering.

You are a good supercar owner.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

again? goddamn son. and I thought Rovers were allergic to powertrains.

No, mine is fine. The shop I take it to had an engine out for work and I grabbed a picture of one since it was shockingly huge.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Comrade Flynn posted:

And out of the car:

That starter looks like it would be fun to get the top bolt out.

Re: revving, 2nd-ing that your a good supercar owner.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Worthington posted:

Right on, there are 2 that come out actively, third one was just sold -to be replaced with an Aventador.

What color is his?

They're both white. I think he ordered a 675LT but I don't know the color.

Comrade Flynn posted:

The shifter is fantastic. It's very, very crisp and I've never even come close to missing a gear. The edges guide you towards the next gear, and it wants to be in neutral so if you leave it alone it will pop back there.

The clutch is also very light, oddly. I believe it's hydraulic and I know mine is aftermarket.

Was running errands in it today, and got stuck behind a school bus. About a dozen junior high aged kids came sprinting out to pose next to the car before the light turned. I had to rev it for them to 7500 and drove off to them cheering.

You're a good man.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 18, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

Re: revving, 2nd-ing that your a good supercar owner.

But be careful with the revving, that's how the new Lambo caught fire last week. (note: I know nothing about Lamborghinis and revving, I just saw this video earlier and was reminded with the above comment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyTdevV4KA

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

But be careful with the revving, that's how the new Lambo caught fire last week. (note: I know nothing about Lamborghinis and revving, I just saw this video earlier and was reminded with the above comment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PyTdevV4KA

Aftermarket exhaust. If I took another set of cats off mine it'd spit flames as well. But, well, I don't want my car catching on fire.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Comrade Flynn posted:

Here's the engine in the car:

And out of the car:

gently caress the EPA, those goddamn exhaust manafolds are loving retardard

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

TEAH SYAG posted:

gently caress the EPA, those goddamn exhaust manafolds are loving retardard
What's wrong with them? They look like equal length headers sheathed in an insulation shield?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Come on now, the American Dream is to have a brand new lifted 4x4 in a 50 year old singlewide out in the backwoods, while your kid fails every class at school except shop. :911:

Urban version:

I envy the car, and if I won the lottery, I would buy one and drive like a douche bag everywhere.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Come on now, the American Dream is to have a brand new lifted 4x4 in a 50 year old singlewide out in the backwoods, while your kid fails every class at school except shop. :911:

Urban version:

I envy the car, and if I won the lottery, I would buy one and drive like a douche bag everywhere.

I kind of feel like that. My house is fairly small (2500 sq ft on a very tiny lot) and only has a one car garage.

My wife has banned me from buying any other cars until we get a place with a bigger garage. She wasn't happy when I ordered the Focus RS.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Comrade Flynn posted:

More importantly, the car always makes me smile. Wide open throttle 1-2 shift will actually make me laugh it's just such glorious fun with the V12 screaming right behind you. I've done a Make A Wish day for a dying kid and the family said when he saw the car, it was the first time he'd smiled in 6 months.

60 Minutes is just about to air an interview with the MaW people, if you're into that sort of thing.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

I kind of feel like that. My house is fairly small (2500 sq ft on a very tiny lot) and only has a one car garage.

My wife has banned me from buying any other cars until we get a place with a bigger garage. She wasn't happy when I ordered the Focus RS.

Eh 2500 sq ft sounds pretty average although the 1 car garage sounds lovely. I assume the Lambo parks inside? Serious question, how do you feel about parking the Lamborghini in public? I assume always at the very back of the lot a mile away from jealous people with keys?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

Eh 2500 sq ft sounds pretty average although the 1 car garage sounds lovely. I assume the Lambo parks inside? Serious question, how do you feel about parking the Lamborghini in public? I assume always at the very back of the lot a mile away from jealous people with keys?

The only issue is it's REALLY wide. I've actually parked taking up two spots before because in smaller spots there's no way it will fit. People are usually really cool about it, shockingly.

It fits into my garage with about 6" to spare on each side.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Flynn posted:

This is the really fun part about owning a supercar, if you're the type who likes to share and talk about it. When I was roadtripping the blue Viper a group of Germans on rented Harleys at Zion were absolutely fascinated with it. They got plenty of photos and we had some fun revving in the canyons.

You need to mic up that exhaust and feed it into a GoPro through some open roads. The sound of that 12 is spinetingling.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crotch Fruit posted:

Urban version:

Aah hahahahahahahahahahahaha that loving haus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nowhere near the same level as a Lambo, but one time at a set of lights I heard a kid yell "MUM LOOK A PORSCHE!" at the 911 in front of me which sedately turned around the corner. I upstaged him by dropping the clutch in my 240sx at 4 Grand and sliding through the bend on the limiter while he had a mix of terrified and amazed on his face. His mother looked mostly disgusted.

Im glad you are not a typical lovely super car owner. :)

Making kids happy with cars is great.

• Locked thread