Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can you recommend a rejuvenating massage for a cancer patient post-lymphectomy?

The missus has just finished her cancer treatment that involved a double mastectomy, removal of lymph nodes under her arm, extensive chemo and radiation. Suffice it to say that it really kicked her rear end and now she is "healing from the cure". She snd I used to go to spas together to get massages, but we are both concerned about a massage possible triggering lymphedema.

She goes to a physical therapist regularly to work on range of motion of the affected arm. Are there massage therapists who specialize in post cancer massages? What is the potential impact of massage triggering lymphedema?

Obviously we will be consulting with her doctors about this, but I'm curious to know the masseur's point of view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Actually yes, some massage therapists do do trigger point release techniques, but that's for working on a knot in one part of the body in order to handle pain in another part. If you just want the knots out, they'll work on them, but doing stretches on your own will help a lot. If it's a particular part of your shoulder bothering you, I can suggest some stretches you might find useful, base on where the knots are.

There's a super big deep stubborn exceptionally painful knot in my right lat muscle, complicated by a small benign tumor sitting on top of it so it's pretty much impossible to access unless you dig at it from just the right angle. By exceptionally painful I mean when they hit it just right my entire right arm and neck explode in pain. They dry needled it and it was the 3rd worst pain I have felt in my life just behind a kidney infection and dental work sans novocaine.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Agrikk posted:

Can you recommend a rejuvenating massage for a cancer patient post-lymphectomy?

The missus has just finished her cancer treatment that involved a double mastectomy, removal of lymph nodes under her arm, extensive chemo and radiation. Suffice it to say that it really kicked her rear end and now she is "healing from the cure". She snd I used to go to spas together to get massages, but we are both concerned about a massage possible triggering lymphedema.

She goes to a physical therapist regularly to work on range of motion of the affected arm. Are there massage therapists who specialize in post cancer massages? What is the potential impact of massage triggering lymphedema?

Obviously we will be consulting with her doctors about this, but I'm curious to know the masseur's point of view.

From a masseur's point of view, I'd say talk to a doctor first. Massages reduce lymphedema and help the lymph nodes circulate, so I'd think it'd it'd be good for her, but I KNOW you're doing the right thing in talking to a doctor first.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

There's a super big deep stubborn exceptionally painful knot in my right lat muscle, complicated by a small benign tumor sitting on top of it so it's pretty much impossible to access unless you dig at it from just the right angle. By exceptionally painful I mean when they hit it just right my entire right arm and neck explode in pain. They dry needled it and it was the 3rd worst pain I have felt in my life just behind a kidney infection and dental work sans novocaine.

Ugh, that's terrible, if I was approaching this I'd lay you on your side and see if I couldn't shift your arm around in such a manner that I could work on the lat without aggravating the tumor. Does alternating between heat and cold cause pain on that lat?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Ugh, that's terrible, if I was approaching this I'd lay you on your side and see if I couldn't shift your arm around in such a manner that I could work on the lat without aggravating the tumor. Does alternating between heat and cold cause pain on that lat?

Haven't tried heat and cold yet, heat does seem to help somewhat.

I'm planning on going back to the doctor to see if I can get the tumor removed since its starting to interfere with my lat movement. If I go to the gym and do lat pull downs the lat will get stuck on the tumor till it pops free. It's an unpleasant sensation.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Was working on models weird/ awkward at all? Ever had an ... er... inconvenient physical response?

My wife carries a lot of tension in her shoulders and neck and likes a LOT of pressure; what sorts of risks/dangers should I be on the lookout? Any warning signs that something might be dangerous other then "Oww that hurts"?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Xand_Man posted:

My wife carries a lot of tension in her shoulders and neck and likes a LOT of pressure; what sorts of risks/dangers should I be on the lookout? Any warning signs that something might be dangerous other then "Oww that hurts"?

Generally that's the best indicator, if you feel a really heavy pulse under your fingers you're on a artery and may knock her out, doing a stretches and pressured stretches (you basically press and flex the muscle you want to work) should give her a decent benefit.

Xand_Man posted:

Was working on models weird/ awkward at all? Ever had an ... er... inconvenient physical response?

Well, during my training I worked on the sixty year old couple that owned the massage school and the guy's dick flopped out while I was turning him over, the only dick flop in my entire career and after her massage the wife hit on me a bit.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009
I have a li'l fibroid problem that's pressing on the nerves running down my right thigh--are there any stretches or exercises you can recommend to me that might help with the weird shooting pains, numbness, etc. that I get sometimes? It's usually after sleeping in the wrong position for too long, I think, that I feel the most symptoms.
Also, I'm starting massage school in january myself, I am really looking forward to it. Love your thread!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
for me, success means I'm at a place where I can get one or two massages a week during my lunch break.

For those here that work in an office and deal with stress, the lunch-time massage is one of our greatest benefits.

Just had one.. and I feel loving great and relaxed :)

edit: on the male/female thing, I like to be massaged exclusively by women. It's not really sexual, but I won't deny I just enjoy having a women run her hands over me as opposed to a man. Being young and pretty also helps, which I know probably sucks for those that want to talk about objective therapy but I'm paying and I'm just being honest. It's never led to sex or anything in Australia, the massage I had before the girl was being really nice and after chatting for a while we built a little bridge. But generally it's just that if I have to be in close proximity to someone for half an hour and they're touching me all over, young women just automatically put me at ease in that situation. I've had male therapists before but I just can't relax properly.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 11, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

for me, success means I'm at a place where I can get one or two massages a week during my lunch break.

For those here that work in an office and deal with stress, the lunch-time massage is one of our greatest benefits.

Just had one.. and I feel loving great and relaxed :)

edit: on the male/female thing, I like to be massaged exclusively by women. It's not really sexual, but I won't deny I just enjoy having a women run her hands over me as opposed to a man. Being young and pretty also helps, which I know probably sucks for those that want to talk about objective therapy but I'm paying and I'm just being honest. It's never led to sex or anything in Australia, the massage I had before the girl was being really nice and after chatting for a while we built a little bridge. But generally it's just that if I have to be in close proximity to someone for half an hour and they're touching me all over, young women just automatically put me at ease in that situation. I've had male therapists before but I just can't relax properly.

I've never had a satisfactory massage from a young woman. Every truly good massage I've gotten has been from either a middle aged or older woman, or from a man.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
In Thailand was one of my best.

She was small (as most Thai women are) but she was so drat strong. It was a combination of stretches that she would set up and the assist in the stretch, and then the usual kneading and rubbing. It was just very vigorous and I'd been working out before in the hotel in Bangkok and went across the road to the massage place that was there. She would make a clucking sound with her mouth when I'd yell out (it hurt, man) and that made me ashamed to cry out so I just clenched my teeth and let her beat the poo poo out of me.

Best 300 bhat I ever spent.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

now post that somewhere else without context

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

errol _flynn posted:

I have a li'l fibroid problem that's pressing on the nerves running down my right thigh--are there any stretches or exercises you can recommend to me that might help with the weird shooting pains, numbness, etc. that I get sometimes? It's usually after sleeping in the wrong position for too long, I think, that I feel the most symptoms.
Also, I'm starting massage school in january myself, I am really looking forward to it. Love your thread!

That's a hard one to gauge over the internet, I'd usually have to do a full range of motion and feel where it's activating, but if you can give me a few examples of anything else that sets it off I might be able to make a few suggestions.

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That's a hard one to gauge over the internet, I'd usually have to do a full range of motion and feel where it's activating, but if you can give me a few examples of anything else that sets it off I might be able to make a few suggestions.

Well, mr Pibbleton, running sometimes will set off a knee buckling, and if I sit in my car and drive for over an hour, I'm sure to get a weird pinging nerve reaction. Like a burning electric shock or a numbing tingly feeling.; it's strange.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

errol _flynn posted:

Well, mr Pibbleton, running sometimes will set off a knee buckling, and if I sit in my car and drive for over an hour, I'm sure to get a weird pinging nerve reaction. Like a burning electric shock or a numbing tingly feeling.; it's strange.

It's affecting directly in the knee and not down through the glute? Sorry I haven't had any clients with that, I can't really advise on that. :sigh:

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

It's affecting directly in the knee and not down through the glute? Sorry I haven't had any clients with that, I can't really advise on that. :sigh:

Yeah, I get sciatic nerve pain as well, sorry about not including that. ( No idea what the buckling knee is about, other than my doc pointed out that it was probably the first sing of the fibroids hitting my nerve/.)

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What's your opinion on ashiatsu barefoot massages, hot stone massages, and acupuncture? A place nearby offers all three and has great reviews. I still feel kind of tight after my last Massage Envy appointment. Felt like they couldn't get the knots out.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

Last time I had a massage I was about half an inch from passing out from the pain/everything going fuzzy and barely managed to wave the masseuse off. (For reference it was a cheapish Chinese massage place in the mall which may have affected that somewhat.) I've been tossing around the idea of massage again, especially since I have a job that's supposed to be starting up so I have some money I can spend on self-care like that.

What are some good questions to ask pre-massage to make sure something like that doesn't happen again? I've got a number of muscle/joint problems (fibro, some sort of tendonitis from an accident, carpal tunnel) which doesn't help things, and I'm planning on going somewhere where the masseuse speaks fluent English so I don't have to be nervous about miscommunication again which is why I didn't tell him to back off fast enough.

(Most of my pain is in my lower legs/ankles and shoulders/lower arms/wrists, and any massage that hits my back muscles is just kind of painful if this is relevant to questions that I should be asking.)

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Any practical tips for loosening up my soleus? I had monstrous knots in my calves that were ruining my life and they had to be dry needled out. Now it's just kind of my soleus and I can't seem to beat it. Basically I do calve stratches with my knees bent and I foam roll the poo poo out of it and use a lacross ball on it. I'm tempted to just pony up for an hour long massage, but I was going to just see if there were some things that I can do, say, while watching TV at night that could do it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What's your opinion on ashiatsu barefoot massages, hot stone massages, and acupuncture? A place nearby offers all three and has great reviews. I still feel kind of tight after my last Massage Envy appointment. Felt like they couldn't get the knots out.

I've had all three and the only one that seemed really effective to me was ashiatsu. Hot Stone is the equivalent of them placing tiny heating pads on specific points of your body, I think laying down on a heat pad for a few minutes then doing some stretches would be more effective. Acupuncture works for some people, I'm just not one of them.

A GODDAMN TYPO posted:

Last time I had a massage I was about half an inch from passing out from the pain/everything going fuzzy and barely managed to wave the masseuse off. (For reference it was a cheapish Chinese massage place in the mall which may have affected that somewhat.) I've been tossing around the idea of massage again, especially since I have a job that's supposed to be starting up so I have some money I can spend on self-care like that.

What are some good questions to ask pre-massage to make sure something like that doesn't happen again? I've got a number of muscle/joint problems (fibro, some sort of tendonitis from an accident, carpal tunnel) which doesn't help things, and I'm planning on going somewhere where the masseuse speaks fluent English so I don't have to be nervous about miscommunication again which is why I didn't tell him to back off fast enough.

(Most of my pain is in my lower legs/ankles and shoulders/lower arms/wrists, and any massage that hits my back muscles is just kind of painful if this is relevant to questions that I should be asking.)

The best thing you can do is be upfront about your issues in advance and talk with the massage therapist a bit. The second best thing, drink a lot of water and take a piss before the massage, being well hydrated will help with your muscles relaxing and should make the massage more pleasant. They might need to take some time working lightly on your back before going deep, but just in case work out some signals in advance for low pressure, stop and deep, like tapping on the side of the table.

bollig posted:

Any practical tips for loosening up my soleus? I had monstrous knots in my calves that were ruining my life and they had to be dry needled out. Now it's just kind of my soleus and I can't seem to beat it. Basically I do calve stratches with my knees bent and I foam roll the poo poo out of it and use a lacross ball on it. I'm tempted to just pony up for an hour long massage, but I was going to just see if there were some things that I can do, say, while watching TV at night that could do it.

I say drink some water, heat em up with an electric blanket or something for 5-10 minutes, do the stretches and foam rolling, then rub them down with an ice pack for about five minutes. Taking some anti inflammatory medicine like ibuprofen before you start may be helpful.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I did have multiple women ask for extra, never any men though.

How did you respond? Polite 'no'? Laughing it off? Snark? Threats to call the cops?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

BiggerJ posted:

How did you respond? Polite 'no'? Laughing it off? Snark? Threats to call the cops?

Polite no and "It's not that kind of place." with a smile. Part of the reason I moved on to more therapeutic settings away from spas.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I have had female clients who refused to take off any clothing at first but eventually they got more comfortable with me.

I've been interested in getting a professional massage, but what's stopping me is that I have a bunch of skin issues on my back and legs (non-contagious, but unsightly/rough/embarrassing, like psoriasis, acne, follicular hyperkeratosis, etc.) and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of exposing my awful skin to a stranger and making them have to touch it. (I know massage therapists probably see a lot of people with this kind of thing and it's no big deal, but I know my own insecurity would prevent me from relaxing and enjoying the massage.) So it's good to learn that it's not uncommon for people to leave their clothes on.

My questions are: 1) Would it be awkward for me to mention this when I'm setting up the appointment? and 2) What would be the most convenient clothing for me to wear, from the massage therapist's POV? I'm thinking a fitted tank top and yoga pants/leggings?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you do it in a spa setting, they'll scrub it off in addition to a massage. That's a big reason people go there, so they'd be used to it.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've been interested in getting a professional massage, but what's stopping me is that I have a bunch of skin issues on my back and legs (non-contagious, but unsightly/rough/embarrassing, like psoriasis, acne, follicular hyperkeratosis, etc.) and I'm uncomfortable with the idea of exposing my awful skin to a stranger and making them have to touch it. (I know massage therapists probably see a lot of people with this kind of thing and it's no big deal, but I know my own insecurity would prevent me from relaxing and enjoying the massage.) So it's good to learn that it's not uncommon for people to leave their clothes on.

My questions are: 1) Would it be awkward for me to mention this when I'm setting up the appointment? and 2) What would be the most convenient clothing for me to wear, from the massage therapist's POV? I'm thinking a fitted tank top and yoga pants/leggings?

1. Not at all, that's the right time to mention things and ask questions Go with, "I have a few questions/concerns" as a preface while scheduling it. 2. Most convenient clothing is nothing at all, most people go in nude or with just their underwear, yoga pants will prevent them from using lotions or oils on your legs, same with the tank top, working on bare skin is preferred and more effective.

Just so you know, you're right, we do see a LOT of people with issues like this and it's not gross at all, it's just something we have to be conscious of. I worked on a lady who apologized for the moles on her back and literally every square inch of her back had at least one mole in it, it felt WONDERFUL on my hands and forearms, I've had clients with sunburn that sloughed off and formed balls inbetween my fingers and people who had balls of dead skin flop out from the folds of fat they had. None of those bothered me, not even the guy who took blood thinners and bleed through his skin on his arms, didn't warn me about it mind you, so I had to get some gloves on that one.

Anne Whateley posted:

If you do it in a spa setting, they'll scrub it off in addition to a massage. That's a big reason people go there, so they'd be used to it.

You'd have to specify you wanted that particular treatment when setting up the appointment, not all spas do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah sorry, I mean you would book an exfoliation treatment.

• Locked thread