Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonToadGoat

how far away and how fast would we have to go so that we could see what happened on earth 10,000 years ago, assuming we had perfect telescopes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision

by VideoGames
10,000 miles, duh

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
assuming 2x the speed of light, 10k light years

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
but then youd be moving back in time as well, so that stuff wouldnt have happened yet

Nosfereefer

hm, i need to chew on this for i while op

my new dog

by Nyc_Tattoo
science host: if you are zip 10 0 0 0 light yeaers away thats literally far out: that how far out you would have to be to see the world (countdown until next topic starts) host: ugh you could see the world as it was 10 000 years ago *beeP* host: 100 00 years ago was when cave people lived.. *producer storms in* producer: no transitions. Keep going! host: errrr utsi froze in the ice in italy i think and ... (note: the host had to keep talking for a long long time, and the producer would kill him otherwise :/ )

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

DemonToadGoat posted:

how far away and how fast would we have to go so that we could see what happened on earth 10,000 years ago, assuming we had perfect telescopes

No amount of distance you can travel could let you see what happened on Earth 10,000 years ago, since your movement is also capped by the speed of light. So even if you could accelerate to near light speed, travel to 10,000 light years away, then turn around and point your telescopes at Earth, you'd just be seeing the Earth as it was shortly after you left it.

Nosfereefer

if you were somehow able to bend space?

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
if you used a wormhole, 10,000 miles and instantaneously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

DemonToadGoat posted:

10k years ago probably wasn't that exciting. how slow do I have to go in order to see what happens 10k years from now.

• Locked thread