Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Question about some unusual behaviour in cats - moved into a new place sharing with a girl and her two cats.
Both cats have food and water out all day, but they almost certainly won't drink from the water bowl if somebody is around. Instead they jump into the bath tub and meow ever more loudly until somebody turns on the faucet and then they drink.

I'm curious if it's possible to train out this behaviour? At first I went along but lately I've noticed they'll jump into the bath tub in turn (so one will drink for five minutes, then leave, and the other will jump in just as I'm switching off the faucet) or one will demand a drink from the tub every ten-fifteen minutes.

I hope I'm not seen as being cruel to them, as I said they're fed, given a supply of water and well looked after by the three of us living here. Any ideas? Or should I just forget about trying to change their habit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's quite common for cats to not like drinking from standing water and only wanting to drink from a source of running water. It's probably something to do with the fact that they presume the running water is fresher, or maybe they are just being furry assholes.

Anyway, you might want to look into getting a cat water fountain so that your cats can get running water themselves without having to screech at you to turn on the tap, they aren't too expensive.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

MikeCrotch posted:

maybe they are just being furry assholes.

Diagnosis - is cat.

Also try filling a people glass and setting it up on an elevated surface for them. My former cat only drank from a glass.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jet_dee posted:

Question about some unusual behaviour in cats - moved into a new place sharing with a girl and her two cats.
Both cats have food and water out all day, but they almost certainly won't drink from the water bowl if somebody is around. Instead they jump into the bath tub and meow ever more loudly until somebody turns on the faucet and then they drink.

I'm curious if it's possible to train out this behaviour? At first I went along but lately I've noticed they'll jump into the bath tub in turn (so one will drink for five minutes, then leave, and the other will jump in just as I'm switching off the faucet) or one will demand a drink from the tub every ten-fifteen minutes.

I hope I'm not seen as being cruel to them, as I said they're fed, given a supply of water and well looked after by the three of us living here. Any ideas? Or should I just forget about trying to change their habit?

One of our cats has a behavior where he's associated us turning the bathtub on with, beyond fresh water, everything else awesome in life. So, if you're in the bathroom with him and he wants to be fed or pet he'll also jump into the tub and start rubbing his face all over the faucet :kimchi:

It's really just a thing cats do. The best thing you can do is not respond to every verbal whine they make and just turn the tub on for them when you're using the bathroom or walking by. We don't sit and babysit ours, we just get the faucet again on the way out/back

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Then you have our little bastards...who refuse to drink from a fountain, but all tubs/faucets are fair game. And, if we don't turn one on when they yell, they do it themselves :(

It is just to the point where we make sure the one bathroom is open, and close all the other bathroom doors so they only have one they turn on. We just go in as we pass and turn it off again. It's like a game....

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

One of our cats has a behavior where he's associated us turning the bathtub on with, beyond fresh water, everything else awesome in life. So, if you're in the bathroom with him and he wants to be fed or pet he'll also jump into the tub and start rubbing his face all over the faucet :kimchi:
Kiska kind of does this too :3: Not as insistently now that she has a fountain that has a stream like that, but in her weird little cat head she goes "THE BATHROOM IS THE PLACE WHERE GOOD THINGS HAPPEN" and if she is awake (and sometimes she wakes up if she hears you), she will come in with you and transform into lover-cat who loves you and loves the faucet and loves the rug and loves everything. She has this Pavlovian response that when the toilet flushes she flops onto her back in the doorway because someone will be coming out soon and they can RUB HER BELLY.

Anyhow, OP: Buy a fountain. The Drinkwell Platinum has a stream that's more like a faucet and Kiska, who is so bad at drinking and thus bad at peeing that I often just call her the pisscat, loves it. It's kind of a pain to clean but if you keep on top of it it's not bad. I can't speak to any of the others.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you buy a fountain-type water bowl, don't put it right next to the food bowl. If you do that they will inevitably get food into the fountain bowl and it will get all disgustingly mushy and then it will clog everything up and it will be horrible and you will hate it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

If you buy a fountain-type water bowl, don't put it right next to the food bowl. If you do that they will inevitably get food into the fountain bowl and it will get all disgustingly mushy and then it will clog everything up and it will be horrible and you will hate it.
This is also exceedingly true and also SO loving GROSS.

Kiska's fountain is now at the other end of the hallway.

jet_dee
May 20, 2007
Blah blah blah Nationstates is cool blah blah blah
Cool, thanks for all the replies!
Fountain sounds like a way to go. I was just beginning to worry about not being able to visit the bathroom at night anymore because the cats hear someone moving around and start meowing loudly, which wakes every other person in the house until someone gets up to let them drink from the tub. I'm usually too sleepy to want to hang around for five minutes while they drink!

Admiral_eX_laX
Jul 8, 2009

Historically Inaccurate
My 2 cats started drinking from the toilet. I live in a townhouse, and the food / water bowls are upstairs. They'll drink from the upstairs or downstairs toilet.

So I started keeping the toilet lids closed. Started washing out water dishes and filling them with fresh water every day ( sometimes twice a day ). Put 2 water dishes downstairs because I discovered they're lazy as hell and won't bother to run up stairs for water - nope, toilet is convenient!

Weird thing is, I'll fill the downstairs water dishes back up, and then they'll trot over to them, stare at the water for a while, and paw at the water ( they don't do this upstairs ). Eventually they'll drink. They love the downstairs water bowls now.

Admiral_eX_laX fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 14, 2015

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
This brat loves to drink water only from the tub. We did get a fountain for him, which he drank from at the beginning but then stopped randomly. I only turn on the water for him when I'm in the bathroom too, so all other times he just sits in the tub and pathetically mews. When we go on vacation for a few days I assume he has to drink out of the water bowl since our petsitter isn't going to baby him.

english muffin
Feb 1, 2012
the likes of you and I
My Bengal mix/terrorcat will only drink from a people glass set on the kitchen counter.

I am a terrible, disgusting person. And so is she.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you have a cat that likes drinking out of a people glass, try using a teacup and only fill it half full. Then you get the joy of seeing your dumb cat squeeze their entire dumb head into a tiny teacup, which apparently is my cats preferred way of drinking liquid.

Chiparus
May 7, 2012
Nthing the fountain, but also my old dumb cat would drink out of the toilet until I moved her water bowl away from her food bowl. Apparently they don't like having the water source next to the food source.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Mine only drinks from the toilet. Tried multiple water bowls in multiple places to no avail. We just clean the toilet more often now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Definitely get a fountain. I'm lazy, so I have a Big Dog fountain for the dog (and one cat) downstairs that gets cleaned weekly, and a regular Drinkwell with the giant expansion jug on the back upstairs.

Penelope requires drinking from the tub while I'm in it and only while I'm in it. I guess she likes people soup.

• Locked thread