Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
What's the policy with dwarven title inheritance? Say, if a noblewoman's prince husband were to meet an untimely fate...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

RandallODim posted:

What's the policy with dwarven title inheritance? Say, if a noblewoman's prince husband were to meet an untimely fate...

That's a good question! My immediate instinct would be to say that the Prince's property would return to the Prince's family, but I guess it'd be more interesting if the Prince's titles and holdings transferred to their wife (there's a historical precedent for this type of arrangement, but it's got one of those Latin names I can never remember!), obviously with the assumption that the Wife will bear a legitimate heir to take on those titles later on.

Let's go with the second one, because if we do end up going Wife it'll allow for more interesting potential narratives.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Bad End-wise? Are we genre savvy now?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I still want to bear an axe.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Voting Wife, if we're going for politics over rear end-kicking.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Wife. Murder. New home.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Axe-bearer. We can find a husband later, and woo him with gold-plated orc skulls.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Axe-Bearer

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Wife

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
Axe-Bearer

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Apologies to everyone waiting for a continuation, I had one of those weekends. Seems like we're currently tied 4 - 4 between Wife and Axe-Bearer, so short of someone coming over to break the tie we'll have to ask the Die of Fate where our Dwarven lady's life lead them next. I'll make a longer post after work today.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Let it never be' said that we resort to unsightly gambling to decide our lives! My vote goes to Wife maximum GoT.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Wife.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Wife it is! We get the Clan-wise skill as well as the trait Dispute-Settler, which counts as a call-on trait (used to break ties in our favor as well as allowing for rerolls) for Persuasion, Coarse Persuasion, and Oratory.

Also, who is our Husband? (I'm thinking Dwarven Prince.)

With our character's life plotted, it's time for our Beliefs and Instincts!

Dwarves have a special thing related to Beliefs: due to their Oathsworn trait, they get to start the game with a fourth Belief, expressed as an Oath. This has to be related to a specific character in the setting, and we also have to buy a relationship with that character using our resource points!

Given our character's background as a Rune Caster, it might also make sense to phrase one of our Beliefs as something we have read from the rune.

So, four Beliefs:
  • One general Belief, perhaps relating to our ambition?
  • Another general Belief, maybe outlining how we see ourselves in relation to Dwarven society?
  • An Oath, related to an NPC from our background? Maybe we've made an oath to our husband, or someone else?
  • A Belief related to our reading of the Runes, maybe something having to do with us rising to greatness following our husband's untimely death?

Instincts!
  • We are a Dwarf and we will probably end up opening Haggling as a skill. Never pass up an opportunity to haggle?
  • We are a Rune Caster, and the Rune Casting skill can be used as a linked test in preparation for any roll. Maybe an Instinct about always reading the runes before dedicating ourselves to a task?
  • Third Instinct, no clue.

Once again, I'll let you people brainstorm as well as guiding the process a bit when suitable Beliefs and Instincts are presented.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
Our husband is a warrior who lead his troops to a great and prestigious victory. He was raised to the Nobility, via our marriage, to strengthen our noble house.

We swore an Oath to our lowborn lover that we would be together eventually
Our husband will be King. The runes do not lie.
The nobility is incompetent and corrupt. They will either change or die.
The lowborn need help and we will give it to them.

A dagger is always useful. We always have a hidden weapon on us.
Always read the runes before doing anything important.
Always haggle no matter the deal.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

Klingtron posted:

Our husband is a warrior who lead his troops to a great and prestigious victory. He was raised to the Nobility, via our marriage, to strengthen our noble house.

I like this

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I think it might be useful to know what we're actually Greedy for before we decide on the beliefs since they are a big part of virtually every dwarven character (resisting or giving into greed are both interesting). I know there were a couple options and you picked only some of them. Power, riches, beauty and maybe another?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Olanphonia posted:

I think it might be useful to know what we're actually Greedy for before we decide on the beliefs since they are a big part of virtually every dwarven character (resisting or giving into greed are both interesting). I know there were a couple options and you picked only some of them. Power, riches, beauty and maybe another?

This is a really good point! There are four things that Dwarves are greedy for: Riches, physical beauty, craftsmanship, and power. We choose three of the four categories.

So, what we really need to know is, which of the four categories are we not greedy for?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

With the politics theme, gotta drop physical beauty. Too many uniquely ugly politicians to do otherwise.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Greed for physical beauty doesn't necessarily have to mean our own personal beauty, does it? Could it mean wanting to surround yourself with beautiful things, like ornate jewelry and a stylish house? Because if that's the case, I'm gonna say drop Craftsmanship; we obviously want power, money goes hand-in-hand with power, and nice things are an outward reflection of having the money and the power. Of course, if Craftsmanship is the actual greed for nice things, forget I said anything, and drop Physical Beauty.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I'd say drop riches because when you've got power you don't need money. Plus, our craftdwarfship must be the highest quality.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

RandallODim posted:

Greed for physical beauty doesn't necessarily have to mean our own personal beauty, does it? Could it mean wanting to surround yourself with beautiful things, like ornate jewelry and a stylish house? Because if that's the case, I'm gonna say drop Craftsmanship; we obviously want power, money goes hand-in-hand with power, and nice things are an outward reflection of having the money and the power. Of course, if Craftsmanship is the actual greed for nice things, forget I said anything, and drop Physical Beauty.

I'd assume physical beauty doesn't necessarily mean our own beauty, would at the very least mean wanting to have a handsome husband and/or lover, and craftsmanship would be the nice things, because otherwise one of the greeds straight up doesn't apply to most of dwarf society.

drop physical beauty

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
Drop riches. A fixation with money will detract from our fixation with power. Money is a means to an end, be it power or beauty, never an end in itself.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Physical beauty is pretty clearly about beauty in others: one of the examples of an Obstacle 6 test for Greed is "Beholding a beauty in nature a Dearf can never attain: a perfect sunset, a perfect spark of a forge, a glitter on water, an Elf maiden's sweet voice."

According to Luke Crane, Gimli asking for a lock of Galadriel's hair was just the result of him failing a Steel test because of Greed. :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

We've got three votes for dropping Physical Beauty and two for dropping Riches, so I guess we're dropping Physical Beauty. Our Greed idiom relates to Riches, Craftsmanship, and Power.

Also, I think what Klingtron posted in terms of Beliefs and Instincts is good:

Klingtron posted:

I'm getting a good kind of Lady Macbeth vibe from our character.

Anyway, I'll be out of town at a wedding for the rest of the day, so don't expect an update for a while. However, unless there are objections to the BITs that Klingtron posted, I'll be able to post a finalized character sheet tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
:ohdear: Cliffhanger for the next season of House of Runes.

• Locked thread