Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

indigi posted:

podcasts > radio

you know what, sometimes I'd rather miss episodes than accumulate infinite backlogs I'll never go through

we don't lose enough data imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

man late 90s/early aughts consumer electronics were ugly as gently caress

transparent_plastic.jpg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

I never got one of these. woulda owned back in the day

they made it because the GBA/DS built in sound chip was absolutely atrocious

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

hackbunny posted:

we don't lose enough data imo

Agreedo

(Something something wish wed lose your posts)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silver Alicorn posted:

I never got one of these. woulda owned back in the day

they made it because the GBA/DS built in sound chip was absolutely atrocious

How on earth would external speakers have any effect on the sound chip?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dat thing hanging out da bottom??

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

me in high school

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that itty lil joystick was loving garbage but that thing was otherwise perfect in every way

i killed the joystick by playing too much doom on rockbox lmao

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

How on earth would external speakers have any effect on the sound chip?

the ds and gba had a poo poo 1 bit dac that only did 32000hz, so for music they released a cart you could plug in with a real dac

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

indigi posted:

podcasts > radio

lol yea. let me janitor my own audio entertainment instead of letting a literal professional curate my content for me. podcasts are the linux of aural entertainment

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
*guyy at a cocktail party who listens to autismal tech podcasts 24/7*: "i like lamp"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

true crime and creepy podcasts are where its at. theres some good poo poo you can listen to on a cold, rainy night drive. youll find yourself saying "oh jesus christ", "oh god no" out loud at the gross parts and its a hoot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Skarp posted:

my old zune OWNED except the software cut off song titles that were longer than the device width lol

i finally stopped using my zune when the software started crashing a few months ago

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i still have a zune hd, but no charging cable. monoprice doesn't even carry them :effort:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FopeDush posted:

I recently put a garbage-tier android head unit into my garbage-tier car. It had a usb port so you could just plug in a memory stick with all your music. I got a 128gb stick and put my whole collection on there, and the built-in music player app just created one long playlist with 80,000 tracks sorted alphabetically by filename. It also had no search function

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I had one of these when I was a legal intern going to college

It was actually really good.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I put rockbox on my

Made it miles better, esp. wrt battery life and font.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rockbox owned

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Silver Alicorn posted:

the ds and gba had a poo poo 1 bit dac that only did 32000hz, so for music they released a cart you could plug in with a real dac

:eyepop: i would totally buy that but its probably rare now

Im surprised they have a pcm out on the catridge slot too. So no more aliasing noise?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that was my first tape player

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I had a fisher price record player. I wonder how many of my moms records i ruined on it :corsair:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
this could almost be fishmech

my brother had one. it was p okay i guess

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

when stebe was sick, someone at apple thought the ipod shuffle had too many buttons, and the earbuds had too few. and the shuffle with a clip didn't even talk to you.

i set up ipod linux to play video on my 20 gb ipod clickwheel. monochrome, ghosty, and low framerate. the instructions to set the video up required installing cygwin and some bespoke mix of mplayer and a few other video programs, and im pretty sure the output had no compression.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 17, 2015

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

qirex posted:

that was my first tape player
same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

:eyepop: i would totally buy that but its probably rare now

Im surprised they have a pcm out on the catridge slot too. So no more aliasing noise?

that's the idea

I tried using my ds as a music player w/ the regular headphone jack and it didn't sound good at all

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also they are really rare now yeah, like $300 on amazon

coulda got one for $75 when they were new

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yeah that much for a novelty doesnt make sense

for reference, my smartphone (which plays music files quite well) was 160 :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
however it kinda sucks for video games

touchscreen controls ftmfl

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

then i had this one (still have it too, and it still works!):

it could also play awful choppy 10fps xvids with almost no contrast and dammit that was cool as heck
:hellyeah: zen mx supremacy

hackbunny posted:

like, I used to think it would be ~romantic~ to share your earbuds with a girlfriend but it's actually just awkward, because you can neither listen to the music properly nor have a conversation.
lol if u didn't get a double adapter

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Smythe posted:

podcasts are the linux of aural entertainment

You say that like it's a bad thing.

If you feel like pissing away money, there's always this

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Keldoclock posted:

mods pls ban for anime

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Keldoclock posted:

couple of those look like a cigarette box

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

jony ive aces posted:

:hellyeah: zen mx supremacy
lol if u didn't get a double adapter

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i was reading this thread at work and scrolled over that and didn't even notice goatse, just "oh hey that's the same player I've got alright" and kept going and then scrolled back up for something and went "oh yeah this image is probably not something i should have up at work"

so thanks for pretty much desensitizing me to goatse to the point where i no longer even really see it SA.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

except i see it everywhere else, whenever there's four lines on either side of a circle. sigh.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i was just reminded that the "zen mx" that i own is a later and possibly less-good version of the identical-looking "zen" that other posters itt had. mine can't play xvids; only some awful bespoke video format (apparently based on sequences of jpegs lomarf) with bloated filesize. i think the one advantage of that is a better framerate on playback but lol if anyone ever bothered to actually wait forever for creative's lovely desktop itunes ripoff to transcode instead of just un/never installing it

it sucked for video but by definition so does any other credit card-sized thing without internet connection, still owns for mp3z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jony ive aces posted:

i was just reminded that the "zen mx" that i own is a later and possibly less-good version of the identical-looking "zen" that other posters itt had. mine can't play xvids; only some awful bespoke video format (apparently based on sequences of jpegs lomarf) with bloated filesize. i think the one advantage of that is a better framerate on playback but lol if anyone ever bothered to actually wait forever for creative's lovely desktop itunes ripoff to transcode instead of just un/never installing it

it sucked for video but by definition so does any other credit card-sized thing without internet connection, still owns for mp3z

i mean i might be remembering it wrong and i might have had to transcode the xvid first. i only ever watched like, 30 minutes of one movie once when i was waiting for someone at the mall and even though you could barely tell what was going on it was still :krad: because look everyone i have a movie in my pocket :smug:

• Locked thread