Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Admoon posted:

This yamishibai show is some good horror. Watching the first season atm.

Everytime it scares me though the ED comes in with Hatusne Miku singing and I just have to laugh.

s2 also has a Miku ED and it's miles better than s1's (which has a ton of random crap going on).

Admoon posted:

OK done with season 1 now. That was proper scary I thought. There were a couple episodes that I think were a little funny or not that scary. The toilet episode was gross as heck. And screw any story involving creepy girls with long black hair!! Those are my kryptonite.

Tomorrow when I watch season 2 I know to keep the lights on....

ah yeah...i just wrapped up s1 and had been dreading a rewatch a bit. Hair especially stuck with me as an episode i wasn't eager to revisit (though it's honestly not that bad). the scraggly black haired ghosts are surprisingly effective, though i think the vaguely modern setting does a lot for the show too. it feels like these things could still happen and my imagination runs away with that to make me on edge that a Talisman Woman might show up in my bedroom doorway or that i could be locking up at work and the copier i turn off could suddenly start printing stuff.

i kinda felt like breaking down the episodes a bit between which ones i think work very well and some other categories.
favorite episodes: Hair, Contradiction, Video, Tomonari-kun
some that are effective/solid stories: Family Rule, Cursed, Umbrella Goddess, Talisman Woman, Zanbai
others (Overhead Rack, Next Floor, The Moon) are just kinda flat or hokey and while Tormentor has some goody rotoscoping, i feel like it at least is surprising and has horror value because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

umbrella goddess is freaky as hell

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Condiv posted:

umbrella goddess is freaky as hell

i love her, that was a jump scare i could actually appreciate.

anyway just finished season 2 so i'll throw out a bit on those/rank them.
favorites: Locker, Capsule Toy Machine, Farewell Confessional, Ominie-san
other good ones: Taro-chan, Inside, Nao-chan, Bugged, Netsuke

my favorites all share some connection to customs or everyday objects (maybe why they're my favorites), but with a horror twist. strange funeral proceedings that revive a vengeful corpse, innocuous gacha machines/coin lockers that can kill, and moving to a new town with a strange delicacy that inspires frightening obsession.
again, some of the failures this season fall on the animation style (Wall Woman) or just fall apart at the end (Bringer Drums, Picking Up, Kitchen?). between the two seasons there's a lot to like though, and i'm excited to see the third next year. Kagewani (currently airing show by Yamishibai's director) has also had some strong episodes that make me optimistic the team still has their horror touch.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I forgot to post the next show, whoops! Being sick didn't/doesn't really put me in the mood for a long post though.

Starting today, we'll be watching Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World. It's a dystopian/post-apocalyptic thriller set many years in our future. The direction and sound design are what gives this show its horror chops, creating an eerie and sometimes frightening atmosphere. It's streaming on Crunchyroll (link in OP) and also has a physical English release. 3 episodes a night, M-W-F, will have us finishing the show (and simul as a whole) in 3 weeks.

Enjoy!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah good I haven't watched any of this one and was wondering when we'd get started on it. I kinda ended up skipping out on the last chunk, having already seen Pupipo when it aired and tbh I like Yamishibai but not as something to watch in a protracted fashion, more like an episode or two here and there when I'm in the mood for it, so I didn't get all the way through.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From the New World is one of my favourite series from the past couple of years and everyone should watch it.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Okay so season 2 of Yamishibai was not as good as season 1. I think the only ones that stood out were the puppeteer episode and the wall woman.

I watched Pupipo as well and that was really good! It was incredibly adorable and I thought it would be just cutesy ghost stuff the whole way through. The last 5 episodes were cool but man that took a turn I wasn't expecting. It got pretty real at the end there but it was super sweet.

Shinsekai Yori is in my top 3 all time shows so I'm hyped for the rewatch. I'll start it tomorrow I think.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

aaaghh~ the most immediately noticeable thing is how great this show is at cliffhangers. even having seen it before, the end of episode three just makes me want to keep watching!

there are definitely some early bits that are enriched by knowing the full story, but other than that i've mostly been paying attention to the music. there's just such a great balance between tracks that seem more in line with the traditional culture the characters live in, and others that are just meant to evoke a feeling like the happier/carefree tracks or the video game-y stuff during Carryball.

i have definitely forgotten the overarching story they tell via the intro clips, but i think i'll refrain from looking it up for now. between those and the flashbacks, i really enjoy that the show plays with its animation style, or brings in alternate directors for those segments. it's both useful and interesting that the different time periods are delineated by some wild visual differences. and my quickly growing favorite showed up in episode 3: campfire stories/urban legends, this time about implausible creatures (at least one of which is real). i suppose it tickles me more because there's some dramatic irony at play in addition to just being foreshadowing (which the show does fairly often, and well). these kids are all debating over things that, as a second time viewer, i know and have seen. the idea for the Balloon Dog is such a weird one though, it almost seemed like a joke to me.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

dogsicle posted:

aaaghh~ the most immediately noticeable thing is how great this show is at cliffhangers. even having seen it before, the end of episode three just makes me want to keep watching!

Imagine you've had to stop after Episode 2, which ends on just about the most startling cliffhanger I've yet seen in anime. Also another example for the quality of this show's directing, since that cliffhanger only works so incredibly well because Maria hasn't received any actual characterization up to that point.
(Do we need spoiler tags for the "current" episodes?)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

Imagine you've had to stop after Episode 2, which ends on just about the most startling cliffhanger I've yet seen in anime. Also another example for the quality of this show's directing, since that cliffhanger only works so incredibly well because Maria hasn't received any actual characterization up to that point.
(Do we need spoiler tags for the "current" episodes?)

nah, no spoiler tags needed unless you're talking about stuff that's further than we are (supposed to be) on a given day.

somehow i never made it to the back half of episode 2 while this was airing, so i never got that :wtf: cliffhanger. it's placed so early i think i even forgot about it the first time i was fully watching the show lol. it's definitely a big one, though personally it's not delivered on soon enough to have the same impact a lot of others do. a big driver of my binge instinct is the gratification of getting the answer relatively soon, where dragging one out makes me take a break/feel dissatisfied.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
aaaah y'all weren't kidding about the cliffhangers. It was really hard to stop after 3 episodes haha. The opening clips being different styles and showing past events is really neat.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

dogsicle posted:

it's definitely a big one, though personally it's not delivered on soon enough to have the same impact a lot of others do.

Funny, that's precisely what I like about it. From ep. 2 onwards, absolutely everything relating to Maria is coloured in by this one moment, even the most innocent things - because you're always waiting for it to be followed up on. It's such a simple narrative device with such a lasting effect.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

The soundtrack is even better than I remember.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyjkbb_wareta-ringo-full-version-romaiji_music

I love, love, love this ED. I usually don't care about them and skip them (even more so than OPs) but I make sure to listen to this one every single time. I was a little sad it didn't have an OP when I first watched but I've come around to it. Showing the credits over the beginning of the episode fits the atmosphere much more IMO.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Admoon posted:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyjkbb_wareta-ringo-full-version-romaiji_music

I love, love, love this ED. I usually don't care about them and skip them (even more so than OPs) but I make sure to listen to this one every single time. I was a little sad it didn't have an OP when I first watched but I've come around to it. Showing the credits over the beginning of the episode fits the atmosphere much more IMO.

I'm catching up after falling behind and can't get enough of the ED. It's so good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

doing some catching up and, uh, wow. dunno how i forgot about the french kissing scene :staredog:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

dogsicle posted:

doing some catching up and, uh, wow. dunno how i forgot about the french kissing scene :staredog:

Don't gloss over that amazingly cheesy moment with Saki and Maria in a frame of flowers :allears: Really, one of my favourite aspects of this show is how it manages to depict such passionate relationships without devolving into pandering to the usual suspects.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Gah, Yami Shibai is super intense! I'm doing S2 tomorrow but wow, that s1 finale with the binoculars was really effective. The Miku (I assume) ED is super cool though :)

Mononoke was amazing, although I still wish Medicine Seller had kept some of flirty, playfulness that he had in Ayakashi. Still super cool though, and I loved the shows style

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

i kinda felt like breaking down the episodes a bit between which ones i think work very well and some other categories.
favorite episodes: Hair, Contradiction, Video, Tomonari-kun
some that are effective/solid stories: Family Rule, Cursed, Umbrella Goddess, Talisman Woman, Zanbai
others (Overhead Rack, Next Floor, The Moon) are just kinda flat or hokey and while Tormentor has some goody rotoscoping, i feel like it at least is surprising and has horror value because of that.

Pretty much agree with your breakdown, although that last scene looking through the binoculars in Tormentor really drew me in for whatever reason :) I got spooked

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

dogsicle posted:

i love her, that was a jump scare i could actually appreciate.

anyway just finished season 2 so i'll throw out a bit on those/rank them.
favorites: Locker, Capsule Toy Machine, Farewell Confessional, Ominie-san
other good ones: Taro-chan, Inside, Nao-chan, Bugged, Netsuke

my favorites all share some connection to customs or everyday objects (maybe why they're my favorites), but with a horror twist. strange funeral proceedings that revive a vengeful corpse, innocuous gacha machines/coin lockers that can kill, and moving to a new town with a strange delicacy that inspires frightening obsession.
again, some of the failures this season fall on the animation style (Wall Woman) or just fall apart at the end (Bringer Drums, Picking Up, Kitchen?). between the two seasons there's a lot to like though, and i'm excited to see the third next year. Kagewani (currently airing show by Yamishibai's director) has also had some strong episodes that make me optimistic the team still has their horror touch.

:agreed: again :)

Season 2 was a lot less frightening than S1 but there were some cool little stories in it. Ominie was my favourite I think, although the Wall Woman managed to be pretty effective on me until the reveal undercut the earlier tension

Going to start Shinsekai Yori soon, I've never seen it before so this should be really fun!

e. Both of the Yami Shibai EDs were really drat cool imo

Knorth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 4, 2015

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I'm glad knorth is keeping this thread alive. Once I finish SSY I'm sure I'll post about it. It's nice seeing another person watch it for the first time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where are we as far as schedule goes? I'm still behind on SSY (I stopped at ep 7 and haven't had a chance to watch more) but I know we still have a few more things to get to, so I was going to try to wrap it up this weekend if it was getting close to time to move on to the next shows.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

Where are we as far as schedule goes? I'm still behind on SSY (I stopped at ep 7 and haven't had a chance to watch more) but I know we still have a few more things to get to, so I was going to try to wrap it up this weekend if it was getting close to time to move on to the next shows.

Today would be the final episode actually! It's okay because obviously I've been slacking too, but my plan was to have everyone skip ahead and watch Dokuro and Wasurenagumo this weekend. People can and should continue what they have left of SSY or whichever other shows, but I'd do the usual thing of leaving the thread open for a week before closing it (so, on the 11th).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just finished episode 10...

:(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
From the New World is one of the few things I've seen that's made me feel so completely ill that I just stopped watching. I finished it, and I'm glad I did, and it totally earns the moment I'm obliquely referring to, but I found it so staggeringly horrific that I briefly questioned why I was even watching the show. I'm referring to (full season spoilers) Squealer's treatment of Maria and Mamoru, which is all the more horrific for not being depicted at all, and barely even gestured at. Actually, I think that's what makes it so impactful and awful -- the show asks you to put two and two together yourself, and suddenly you've wandered into rape and lobotomy.

Probably one of the best anime I've had the chance to watch, though the animation itself is a little basic. Shamefully unappreciated, actually, though it's probably because the individual episodes aren't as strong as the overall story its telling.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

horror anime is good

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I had hoped to get through SSY before the end of the simul but I just couldn't watch it that fast. I will finish because it's really good and I regret not watching it sooner but it isn't a feel-good show and I've had to spread it out.

I enjoyed the Mononoke rewatch a lot! I'm going to dig out my dvd of Twilight of the Dark Master here in a bit and watch it to wrap up, and maybe take in another chunk of SSY later. Good content for a simul overall, just maybe too much at once to cover everything. I probably would have kept putting off SSY without it though so I'm glad it gave me a reason to get started on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Alright, well it's time to close up shop. Sorry for the lackluster finale guys, but simuls seem a bit tougher than I expected, and we didn't have quite the turnout. Thanks for the people who did participate and I'm glad some of you took chances in a genre you may not be as comfortable with, and on some strange choices as far as animation styles go. Of course I'd recommend finishing off SSY and checking out Wasurenagumo and Dokuro if you ever have the chance.

Look forward to Srice's Eva simul next!

• Locked thread