Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Several months back I posted this thread, which I completely neglected to keep updated. Sorry!

So to bring everybody up to speed, I'm coming up on the end of my first act of driving around the US. I'm 15,000 miles in, and currently camped out in San Francisco. I quit my job, sold my motorcycles, my F-150, my WRX.... guys, I even sold my miata. I have driven from Philadelphia across the US, and driven almost the entire Alaskan road system.

I felt my old thread was a little premature and I posted it as I was quite excited to make a statement. But now, having actually lived this lifestyle, I'm ready to field some questions. I will do my best to update regularly from now on, as I have wifi for the week, but feel free to throw questions at me!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
FAQ

How much did this cost? or YOU ARE SO LUCKY

This is the most common question and comment I get. The answer is that it depends. Seriously, you can do this as cheaply or as expensively as you’d like. I met a girl in Alaska who has been on the road for 2 years and spending roughly $11/day, but she hitches everywhere. We are spending about $55/day for 2 people.

Our cost breakdown is typically:

$20 gas
$25 food
$10 misc

Feel free to ask for more specifics.

Now, for the 2nd part about how I'M SO LUCKY.

I'm really not. At least I'm not 'lucky' compared to the average US homeowner, or married person, or parent. Traveling around the US has been great, but if you're reading this, it's likely far from beyond your means. $6000 for 4 months of travel is small potatoes.

(more to come)

Blaise fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 20, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
So what's interesting about SF that you're out here? Come to gawp at our wretched excesses and inevitable collapse? Or just to eat at the El Tonayense taco truck for a week.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Das Volk posted:

So what's interesting about SF that you're out here? Come to gawp at our wretched excesses and inevitable collapse? Or just to eat at the El Tonayense taco truck for a week.

Once we toured Alaska, we decided to head south to keep some sunshine and warmth.

And since we are technically homeless and unemployed, you tend to follow where the opportunities are. Currently we are hanging out in Mill Valley, as a family friend is out of town and gave us her home to house-sit. Thus the 'chill time.'

If you have a place for me to change my oil that would be great, I'm more than a little overdue :eek:

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Whats one piece of gear/equipment that you didn't have when you started out that you wish you would have had?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How long do you plan on travelling for?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

What's been your favorite place you've stayed at so far, and how long do you generally spend in one area before moving on?

Where do you plan to go in the future?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Ardemia posted:

Whats one piece of gear/equipment that you didn't have when you started out that you wish you would have had?

This is actually the 2nd most asked thing, and it's a great question! The answer is actually what we wish we DIDN'T pack. It is SO easy to overpack your car. We left philly with crap piled to the roof. Now its more like this:

The car has the following items packed into it, aside from standard clothes stuff.

Trunk:
-Yeti Tundra 65 Cooler
-Reliance 7 gallon water container
-Dry Pantry Container (woman's area)
-Kitchen Container (again, would have to ask the lady)
-2 burner stove & propane
-axe

Back Seat:
Clothes, laptop, etc. Not much
Small Husky toolbox with a full set of tools and a hex-drive impact. JB weld, etc. I'm prepared.

Top Box: All camping gear
-2 self inflating pads
-tent
-pillows
-2 chairs
-sleeping bag
-fishing gear
-tarp

Up front:
-Garmin GPS, 2006 era. THANK GOD WE HAVE THIS.
-Big Flashlight
-Bug repellant
-Sunscreen

The real takeaway is that you don't need a lot of stuff. Bring less. Always.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 20, 2015

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

mariooncrack posted:

How long do you plan on travelling for?

We are headed to SE asia for 6mo a few weeks from now. Thus the time to sit down and reflect/write/share. I would like to travel for 2-2.5 years before returning to 'normal life.'

Previa_fun posted:

What's been your favorite place you've stayed at so far, and how long do you generally spend in one area before moving on?

Where do you plan to go in the future?

The best part about quitting work is the lack of schedule. We stay as long as we want to. Some places we leave immediately, some places we hang out for MUCH longer than anticipated. It's really dependent on the location.

My favorite place so far has easily been Alaska, and I will be writing a lengthy post about Alaska here tonight. So stay tuned. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
(reserved for big alaska post)

• Locked thread