Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
she got it through dreamspark at her school, and when she logged in today they said it's invalid

so now even though they are giving away win10 for free to literally everyone she has been on the phone with tech support for an hour while they tell her it was never a valid key and they don't know what a dreamspark is

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
unrelated

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
i have a laptop with a partial windows key (sticker rubbed off) do u recko theres a way to brute force the letters im missing? like there's definitely some kind of checksum going on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
windows 7 forever

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

windows 7 forever

for real windows 7 will never die. 10 is so bad they're giving it away to people blatantly pirating 7/8

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

bobbilljim posted:

i have a laptop with a partial windows key (sticker rubbed off) do u recko theres a way to brute force the letters im missing? like there's definitely some kind of checksum going on

idk call ms and yell that this is unacceptable and demand to speak to a mgr it worked for my roomie

echinopsis posted:

windows 7 forever

:hfive:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

idk call ms and yell that this is unacceptable and demand to speak to a mgr it worked for my roomie

:hfive:

hmm i could try this. i already did it to lenovo and they told me to eat a dick bascially. customer service in NZ is nothing liek the US of A

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
my dreamspark account still works and i finished uni last year. not sure what's going on but i'm fine with it.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

focal ischemia posted:

my dreamspark account still works and i finished uni last year. not sure what's going on but i'm fine with it.

it lasts for 10-12 months iirc before you need renewal

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
windows 10 upgrade is ballmer's last gift to an ungrateful world

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

bobbilljim posted:

hmm i could try this. i already did it to lenovo and they told me to eat a dick bascially. customer service in NZ is nothing liek the US of A

windows 7 on prebuilt things don't use those keys on the stickers.

they have what is basically a bios flag, and then there's a pre-installed image from lenovo or whoever that embeds their key. activation just matches the bios flag with the key, and if it matches, you're good to go.

So what you can do is install from retail disk, somehow obtain the lenovo key, and it will work

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lol definitely do this if you love having 10 second response times
you can't get reliably fast service even for tiny apps on azure without paying $55+/mo. that's why I don't use it for my personal projects.
also love that they claim to give students $200 in credit (that expires in 30 days. what student is just casually spinning up that kind of resources on their own?)

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pepito sanchez posted:

it lasts for 10-12 months iirc before you need renewal

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
i like how you can't paste your key into the text field in win10 because it's behind a UAC prompt

• Locked thread