Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

The Purpose

You know what I love to do? Find any excuse to play games that I have beaten before in a fresh and more challenging way (especially if the game has only one difficulty level).

I noticed whilst browsing the Let's Play sub-forums that there is no thread for challenge run LPs (not counting Archives since I do not have access to the Archives... YET). The purpose of the thread is to post challenge run LPs that are fun and give people a new way to play or experience a game they may have already completed. An excuse to get that good ol' feeling of nostalgia, while playing the game in a different way. So post your ideas and videos of challenge for the rest of the SA community to enjoy (or as a subtle cry for help).

Beating a game or completing a game in a standard manner is not a challenge run since that is what the point of games are in the first place.

Here's to hoping it's not just something I like to do!

Examples of challenge runs
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Speedruns

Well the most common challenges you see are speedruns (beating any% or 100% completing a game as quickly as possible). Whilst these runs are a common challenge, they are still welcome to be posted here.

Handicaps

These challenges involve handicapping yourself. It may be that you must beat the game without being able to use certain attacks or items.

X vs. Y

Your challenge run could actually be a test to see what is more useful to the player (e.g. A playthorugh with just Weapon X, and a playthrough just with Weapon Y - to determine which weapon in better).

Head to Head Races

A challenge between you and a friend or a bunch of friends to beat a game faster, or get more completion within an hour, or with your own restrictions)

Target Challenges

Beat a game with the fewest deaths possible is an example of this kind of challenge.

Blind Challenges

Perhaps one of the most fun kinds of challenges. Play a game blind with a challenge in mind (such as a blind play-through on the hardest difficulty) or better yet challenge a friend to play a game you know, blind, with challenges attached.

Rage Challenges

Play a very difficult game, or a standard game in a difficult way, until you can't take it no-more and want to throw your fist through your screen.

Other Challenges

Of course the challenges you want to do may not fall into any of these categories. Even better. Find fun and interesting ways to challenge yourself or each other, and then post the results to laugh at or pity. Be creative and if there is a challenge run up that you think you can do better at, prove it! I'll post a challenge run I have started as an example.

Challenge Run Contents

X vs. Y Challenges

Spyro the Dragon: Flame vs.Charge (1 | 2 | 3) - Manic X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
A lot of LPs involve challenges, even if the title doesn't mention them. And sometimes someone else will do a challenge run in a main LP. There's even a tag in the LP Archive just for challenge LPs.

That said, I like the idea of a general challenge thread, especially for either shorter games or for LPs where you want to focus on gameplay rather than anything else in the game. Hope this thread does well and I may even try my hand at a run or two if I can squeeze in the free time.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 23, 2015

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Yeah, well the one thing I enjoyed about doing the LP for Spyro, is that I got to enjoy the game in a whole different way, and it's pretty cool when you overcome the challenges that crop up. What games would you look at doing?

• Locked thread