Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Wang posted:

Yeah, but what if you're gonna have diarrhea?

You can build a shitter into a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dr. Wang posted:

Yeah, but what if you're gonna have diarrhea?

you slide open the toilet hatch, poo poo straight onto the road and the cars behind you will get the message and compost it

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ma i married a tuna posted:

Half of the resistance to self-driving cars is all about the 50s myth that cars mean FREEDOM and getting laid in the back seat and your parents don't even need to know. But that's bullshit. And people like the OP are like, why would I want to give up the pleasure of driving a bespoke italian supercar on a racetrack. But that's not the issue at all.

Almost all of the driving people do is awful, and they're awful at it. It's sitting in traffic dropping off kids at school in Honda CRV. Going to a strip mall in a rotting Chevy. Hauling lumber in a lovely pickup. That's the driving people are overwhelmingly doing - slow, predictable, boring, and semiskilled at best. It's so boring and low-demand that lots of people jazz it up - by playing on their phones, or turning it into a weird zero-sum game of aggression to save 4 minutes on their 2 hour commute. Cars are places where we waste our time.

Who can claim with a straight face that they love driving so much that they want to relish the typical experience - driving a lovely econobox early in the morning, or tired from work, through a graceless suburb or office park through stop-go traffic. We need machines to do that, and we need them yesterday. The machines don't even need to be very good, because the advantage of not having a cell phone, or noticing kids in the back seat, or being disappointed with how their life turned out will put them miles ahead of human drivers by default.

Long ago, when most of the metroplex wasn't overly built up and turned into suburbs, I'd love to drive around. Go drive around back roads at the break of dawn listening to the radio or a bunch of CDs. One of my most loved jobs was working as a courier and just chillin' to the radio as I drove to out of the way places. Driving around, listening to music and hearing your own thoughts.

But yeah, gently caress commuter driving. The thing is, with all those happy experiences, I could do that on a train or a bus without having to worry about falling asleep at the wheel or getting into an accident.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Long ago, when most of the metroplex wasn't overly built up and turned into suburbs, I'd love to drive around. Go drive around back roads at the break of dawn listening to the radio or a bunch of CDs. One of my most loved jobs was working as a courier and just chillin' to the radio as I drove to out of the way places. Driving around, listening to music and hearing your own thoughts.

But yeah, gently caress commuter driving. The thing is, with all those happy experiences, I could do that on a train or a bus without having to worry about falling asleep at the wheel or getting into an accident.

Also driving on the more attractive highways like the famous route 1 in california owns

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Has anyone says self driving bars yet? Cause self driving bars.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Helpimscared posted:

I have to agree, I love driving. But if self driving cars would mean less room for human error, and therefore less accidents I'm willing to sacrifice that.

There will still be accidents the good part is your life is in the hands of the responsible, honest, and caring automotive industry rather than your own useless feeble ones who are soft and supple from doing womens work

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
The spirit of Rush's Red Barchetta lives on, in you, gentle goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
lol if you don't want to gather 5 friends and have a car party in your self driving car

when you get hungry you can just yell CAR MCDONAALLDSS

• Locked thread