Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I guess that Instant Noodle shortage must've been a big deal to be mentioned :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Well yeah, can't have a magical girl w/o a dark queen version.

Also,

is that the Fat Man bomb in Jiro's section?

I was looking for a webm i saw in here to post elsewhere and stumbled upon this post.

so close...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Why the hell did i guess Fat Man? It's clearly the Little Boy device since it was Hiroshima and Jiro is, uh, a little boy, and it looks like this:

:doh:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Why the hell did i guess Fat Man? It's clearly the Little Boy device since it was Hiroshima and Jiro is, uh, a little boy, and it looks like this:

:doh:

i think this was before the hiroshima reveal, the first time demon queen Kikko showed up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah yeah, that's probably the case. At this point I've forgotten what was revealed when, and the non chronological order only adds to that confusion.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Ah yeah, that's probably the case. At this point I've forgotten what was revealed when, and the non chronological order only adds to that confusion.

Yeah my memory of s1 isn't great. I'm enjoying this show so much i'm planning to rewatch the whole thing once s2 finishes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
This episode. :stare: :drat:

The pacing for this second cours feels really weird, right now. There were a couple of episodes genuinely progressing things, but still a lot of episodes only tenuously connected to the "main" plot or whatever you want to call it, and now this week's episode just feels like it's jumped straight into the conclusion while skipping several stages inbetween.

Also :lol: at Jaguar's theory about nuclear energy and world peace.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 10, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, I dunno how I feel about it. Nothing feels off-base, but I think this could've been expanded across two episodes. Last ep could wrap things up well though.

e: I also had a kneejerk reaction to them referencing "another" (our) world, though that was silly since the entire show's been founded on being an alternate 60s-70s with superhumans and Jiro. Little afraid they'll go for something like "accept reality, stop dreaming" *wubwubub* *conrevo world becomes the real world*. Though "a world without superhumans" is explicitly Satomi's goal, so I doubt that'd be it, at least not from that angle.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 10, 2016

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That taiyaki song was an actual hit song, BTW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq2xiLxAiIs

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So with this episode Jiro has betrayed everything he stood for and become everything he's hated. He wanted justice, but found the bureau to be lacking so he left, but was unable to find a meaningful alternative. He has now completely given up and is starting a battle for selfish reasons. He hated Kaiju, but later learned his blood creates them and has now accepted he is one himself. Considering all this it is incredibly thematically appropriate that the episode ends with him killing Shirota, who was the first superhuman we saw him help at the very start of the show.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't agree that he betrayed everything he stood for and become everything he hated - he started a war to help a loved one protect the oppressed. It's not "absolute justice" or any such stupid, childish concept, but I don't see how you can argue that defending the youkai from humans whose plan is literally to dissolve them in acid over and over again for all eternity to power their cars isn't just.

A lot of the show so far has been about Jiro wavering back and forth between his childish ideals and some kind of compromise with reality, and this just fits in with his whole character across the entire show.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

What Master Ultima and Satomi are trying to do isn't just either, but Jiro admitted himself he's not fighting for justice anymore, pushed the Youkai into full-scale war when before that they were in (presumably peaceful) discussions for independence, and declared himself the enemy of all humanity.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In any case, I'm slightly disappointed Magneto isn't Emi.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

This episode. :stare: :drat:

The pacing for this second cours feels really weird, right now. There were a couple of episodes genuinely progressing things, but still a lot of episodes only tenuously connected to the "main" plot or whatever you want to call it, and now this week's episode just feels like it's jumped straight into the conclusion while skipping several stages inbetween.

Also :lol: at Jaguar's theory about nuclear energy and world peace.

I like the accelerated pace since it gives a real feeling of when poo poo goes bad it goes bad very quickly and since they've had 2 seasons to let the world and characters breathe it doesn't need big swathes of exposition to make sense of everyone's motivations.

Droyer posted:

What Master Ultima and Satomi are trying to do isn't just either, but Jiro admitted himself he's not fighting for justice anymore, pushed the Youkai into full-scale war when before that they were in (presumably peaceful) discussions for independence, and declared himself the enemy of all humanity.

I'm with Lemon-Lime since Jiro only really went on full on killer when he found out Raito was killed and while he didn't know the circumstances, the superhuman army was going to come destroy that city either way. Also it was finally nice that the 'justice' that was tossed around endlessly turned out to be as meaningless as it sounds in just about every story ever made (especially anime) and friends/family/love is more important.

this dumb awesome show has me seriousposting about anime :negative:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I definitely feels like something was rushed along the way and they're trying to wrap up in a hurry. There's also at least one cut where the animation is sorta lacking. I think I noticed in in the Grosse Augen fight with a distinct lack of shading (just the flat colors) and another where it's just the pan over Kikko's chest where her guardian/familiar/whatever was while it was talking, but had no animations for it.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Who was the girl with the black hair that went to ultimapolis with the S Planetarian?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Who was the girl with the black hair that went to ultimapolis with the S Planetarian?

The band member who can become gigantic due to Jiro's blood.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

The band member who can become gigantic due to Jiro's blood.

Was she in a disguise? I remember her having green hair, no glasses, and being a lot taller

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 12, 2016

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Was she in a disguise? I remember her having green hair, no glasses, and being a lot taller

Wrote it from memory. Yeah, it's not Aki.

I actually had to check the VA list in the credits to find out who she is:
https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=80192

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Lurking Haro posted:

Oh no, does this mean the guy she's usually with is either working for the government, got captured or worse?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Oh no, does this mean the guy she's usually with is either working for the government, got captured or worse?

Maybe he's watching the children?
It's still weird that she looks that different, but she's listed and doesn't appear otherwise in the episode. Maybe she wears green contact lenses?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

It's not her either though. I dunno if she has a name but she's a friend of Rei'ichi. She tried to heal the russian master ultima shot down in s1 and was the one who welcomed Rei'ichi back last ep.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Xelkelvos posted:

I definitely feels like something was rushed along the way and they're trying to wrap up in a hurry. There's also at least one cut where the animation is sorta lacking. I think I noticed in in the Grosse Augen fight with a distinct lack of shading (just the flat colors) and another where it's just the pan over Kikko's chest where her guardian/familiar/whatever was while it was talking, but had no animations for it.

They might have been cut down in episodes, that's why - I'm reasonably sure it wasn't always going to be just 11 but for whatever reason a number of shows have had their runs cut off below the usual 12/13.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

They might have been cut down in episodes, that's why - I'm reasonably sure it wasn't always going to be just 11 but for whatever reason a number of shows have had their runs cut off below the usual 12/13.

That would make a lot of sense. That's really unfortunate. As for why the amount of episodes were cut, that's probably still a mystery and it's a shame they couldn't go a route where the final episode(s) goes to OVA and the broadcast is basically a cliffhanger.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Droyer posted:

It's not her either though. I dunno if she has a name but she's a friend of Rei'ichi. She tried to heal the russian master ultima shot down in s1 and was the one who welcomed Rei'ichi back last ep.

This is getting weird. I'm starting to think she's just an unlisted character and somebody erroneously put Takahara in the credits/I completely overlooked her.
She might even be a secondary role by Takahara's VA.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

This is getting weird. I'm starting to think she's just an unlisted character and somebody erroneously put Takahara in the credits/I completely overlooked her.
She might even be a secondary role by Takahara's VA.

Probably the latter. Neither of them are super important, so it wouldn't surprise me if they had the same actress do both roles.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat it, i stumbled across a great gif of the immortal family (successfully!) sneaking away in plain sight and now i can't find it again. :mad:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

God drat it, i stumbled across a great gif of the immortal family (successfully!) sneaking away in plain sight and now i can't find it again. :mad:

was it this one? http://i.4cdn.org/a/1465594336090.webm

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

YEs! Thanks :D

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cool ending, cool show, though I stand by my sentiment that it would've benefited from at least a few extra minutes worth of time (or better direction in general). My only major reservation is that they so swiftly sped through shoving Satomi in a bio-Destroyer pod and and most superhumans peacing out that it almost felt comical, and came off as the staff grasping for a way to resolve the inter-superhuman conflict and remove most of the them from the world, but without anyone dying for fear that it'd drown out the tone they were going for in the final scene.

Motto fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 17, 2016

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I was worried that the ending was going to be unsatisfying, but thankfully i found it really good! it's probably true that it would have been better with an extra episode or two, but i am still very satisfied with this show and it'll probably end up as my AOTY 2016.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

also from the perspective of a literalist baby I wish Jiro had shown up on the crosswalk and married Kikko

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I need every scene of this in a chronlogically ordered supercut before I re-watch it. What a trip.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
That was one of my favorite series in the past few years. It really benefited from having enough time to flash the world and characters out then having the balls to end with a bittersweet ending instead of going for shock value. Also I liked that Satomi wasn't even that bad from a purely human perspective despite being the big bad overall.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://jii.moe/Nk2MQ10Eb.webm
:unsmith:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Motto posted:

Cool ending, cool show, though I stand by my sentiment that it would've benefited from at least a few extra minutes worth of time (or better direction in general). My only major reservation is that they so swiftly sped through shoving Satomi in a bio-Destroyer pod and and most superhumans peacing out that it almost felt comical, and came off as the staff grasping for a way to resolve the inter-superhuman conflict and remove most of the them from the world, but without anyone dying for fear that it'd drown out the tone they were going for in the final scene.

I agree that if everything was paced a little better and given more room to breathe near the end, it could have come out a lot better. If the last three or four episodes were spread out to four or five, I think it would've been perfect. It's not as though this series was lacking for characters or setting details so having it go three cours would've likely been feasible if not potentially better since it'd give a bit more room to the secondary characters as, at a certain point, they kinda just run together and become forgotten.

I want to say the meteor being referenced is the Tunguska event, but it could've likely been a slew of other things. Also, it seems there never ended up being a Fat Man bomb by the US, just Little Boy.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
That was a very well animated episode, but I can't help but feel dissatisfied at how the ending just pretty much resolves everything in under 30 seconds, and I don't think the show ended up quite as good as I thought it would when the first cours concluded. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad Kikko finally got her princess carry.
:allears:

• Locked thread