Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the yellow dog
Dec 27, 2007

It never did anything, it just stood there, being small and yellow...I couldn't pass if The Yellow Dog was there.
My cat Binners has had problems with constipation on and off for a while. (By on and off, I mean it's happened 2 or 3 times in the past year - frequently enough that it's drawn my attention but not enough that it seems chronic.) Every so often he gets - this is gross, I'm sorry - poop stuck in his butt, and he cries. It's upsetting for everyone involved.

The first time I fed him some wet food with a few drops of vegetable oil (I usually feed him dry food) and kept that up for a few days, and then went back to just free feeding him dry food (on the advice of the vet). The second time, a few months later, I did the same. After that, I tried to give him a little wet food twice a day while still free-feeding him dry food.

I gradually got neglectful and stopped the wet food entirely two or thee months ago, and then two weeks ago it happened again. It was Saturday night and the vet wasn't open, and the receptionist at the emergency vet said to see how he was in the morning. By then things were better, or at least less-bad. They also recommended pumpkin puree.

I've been giving him a tablespoon of pumpkin puree mixed with a tiny bit of tuna (maybe half a teaspoon) twice a day and he LOVES it. I'm happy, he's happy, everything is great but I'm concerned about the tuna. Is there too much mercury? Should I switch to mixing the pumpkin with wet food? Should I dump the pumpkin all together? It really seems to be helping and his dry food is really high protein so I'm wondering if he needed more fiber? I don't know.

Anyway I logged in to SA after about 2 years and found that I had gotten a custom av and title from a post I made in a PI thread, so I figure I'd post here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What exactly are you feeding him? Pumpkin and stuff like psyllium is a good source of fiber for cats so feel free to keep that up. Tuna's fine as a treat but might not contain enough taurine for your cat's health, which can lead to poor eyesight/blindness in the long term. It also sounds like he's not getting enough water when he's off wet food to keep his poop soft so you might also want to put more water dishes around, or a water fountain to encourage drinking.

As for food if you can keep up the wet food routine, that'd be great. Or look into switching dry food to one with a higher quantity of fiber in it or adding supplemental fiber to it.

• Locked thread