Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I was at least mildly impressed that a good deal of the company's employees donated significant chunks of their cut to charity. I was fully expecting something like "we'll livestream putting all your money into a shredder with your name on it" after the literal boxes full of poo poo.

One of them bought a $3,000 gold-plated vibrator, though, which was way more in line with my expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, it's good to see people give money to the Cards Against Humanity folks, given the company is struggling so hard. What, they aren't? Oh. Well, at least it was given to charity, like their other fundraisers! Oh, only a little? Well, thanks for letting me know what they spent it on, invisible strawman.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
:buddy:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm just surprised so many people work at this company.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Covok posted:

I'm just surprised so many people work at this company.

I know that if I spent $160,000 on an MFA and ended up designing Cards against Humanity expansions for the rest of my life, I'd be spending a lot of long, cold nights staring in the mirror.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Daeren posted:

I know that if I spent $160,000 on an MFA and ended up designing Cards against Humanity expansions for the rest of my life, I'd be spending a lot of long, cold nights staring in the mirror.

What's an MFA?

Also, I feel like the team could be downsized and be just as efficient. This isn't exactly rocketscience.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Covok posted:

What's an MFA?

Also, I feel like the team could be downsized and be just as efficient. This isn't exactly rocketscience.

Master of Fine Arts degree. Artists, novelists, filmmakers, theater, scriptwriting, photography, graphic design, etc. etc.. Creative, artistic careers. It's generally an extremely expensive degree, a victim of credential inflation, and your odds of getting your money's worth back on it by publishing the next Great American Novel or writing for Jurassic Park 5 or choreographing Les Miserables 2 are about as good as a high school football player making it to the NFL.

...says the man in the process of getting a Master of Library and Information Sciences degree.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

What's an MFA?
Master's in Fine Arts. For when your bachelor's degree in art doesn't get you a job and you decide to double down on your student loans.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sounds like a poor fiscal decision, but still better than being an accountant...

...says the public, tax accountant.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Daeren posted:

...says the man in the process of getting a Master of Library and Information Sciences degree.

But you have so much to live for.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The final nail in the coffin for me with CAH was when my friends let their 12 year old son play with us. It's just crass garbage jokes with no depth. Saying it's a replacement for the lowered social inhibitions of alcohol is accurate. People want an excuse, no matter how thin, to be lovely. CAH takes the place of the barroom misogyny and racism of our father's days.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

grassy gnoll posted:

But you have so much to live for.

Look if I really wanted to make a career out of my true passions I'd design games for a living, in which case I'd be living in a cardboard box and probably pursued by at least twenty people who swore blood vengeance upon me and my whole line for saying something they disagreed with. Or, should I win the cosmic jackpot, be kicked around like a hackeysack in a major video game company, in order to live with a comfortable wage and be pursued by twenty thousand people who swore blood vengeance on me and my whole line for taking out three animation frames of a schoolgirl's underwear showing.

Worst comes to worst I can leverage a MLIS degree into IT work, and library pay isn't actually that bad assuming you find a job. Plus, I've always found information systems fascinating, so that doesn't hurt.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

No, seriously. I've spent the past five years working at public and academic libraries of all sizes and specializations. You would get paid more as a beta tester at EA, you'd have more job security, and you'd hate yourself less.

Most of your bosses will be nerds who got shoved into lockers most of their lives, gone mad with a very moderate amount of power. Anyone with a soul leaves for careers that pay well and don't put multiple-degree-holders on weekend night shifts. The good academic jobs aren't opening for another five to ten years barring a very specific plague. The public jobs are disappearing, or you'll work at a pittance at just under the number of hours where they'd have to give you benefits, until the municipality cuts funding to your branch entirely so they can repave the road in front of a council member's house.

If it's truly working with the community and not money that motivates you, consider majoring in social work. At least if you're working elder care or rehab cases, you get paid slightly more when you have to clean up an exploded pair of Depends.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

grassy gnoll posted:

No, seriously. I've spent the past five years working at public and academic libraries of all sizes and specializations. You would get paid more as a beta tester at EA, you'd have more job security, and you'd hate yourself less.

Most of your bosses will be nerds who got shoved into lockers most of their lives, gone mad with a very moderate amount of power. Anyone with a soul leaves for careers that pay well and don't put multiple-degree-holders on weekend night shifts. The good academic jobs aren't opening for another five to ten years barring a very specific plague. The public jobs are disappearing, or you'll work at a pittance at just under the number of hours where they'd have to give you benefits, until the municipality cuts funding to your branch entirely so they can repave the road in front of a council member's house.

If it's truly working with the community and not money that motivates you, consider majoring in social work. At least if you're working elder care or rehab cases, you get paid slightly more when you have to clean up an exploded pair of Depends.

Funny thing, therapy/social work was my first choice, but I eventually wrote it off when I realized it'd put me under a mountain of student loan debt and almost assuredly kill me via burnout due to my empathy not having an off switch, but welp. I'm already a good way through the degree, so, :suicide:

Guess I'll be looking at the tech branch of the degree a lot harder in my remaining time??

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Look on the bright side - somebody's got to win the lottery! :v:

I wanna say Mors is also a librarian? And maybe someone else around here, but I couldn't say for sure. Anyway, maybe they're the persons to bug for more positive stories.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I worked in a local library during college and... uh... it was close to home? That's about as positive as I can get about it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I'm just sort of desperately hoping that they don't find a way to automate lab technician jobs before I finish my degree. I'm reasonably sure working as lab bitch is my only way into the pharmaceutical industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I'm a public librarian, and it's... well, it's a job, alright. The job market isn't quite as bad as it was when I graduated years back, but it's still not healthy by any means, and odds favor you'll need to move unless you live in NYC, LA, DC, Chicago, etc. At the moment, there are a lot of openings in the South, and in under-served rural areas, but these aren't going to be happening awesome spots that you actually want to live in, and depending on what your focus is, might not want to work at because you won't be able to do all the cool poo poo you want to to buff your resume for your second job.

The pay is poo poo, but if you're working for a municipality, there's often an alright benefits package and retirement depending on which party controls your state. I never go to bed wondering if I made a net positive contribution to the world at large, though, so if self-righteousness if your thing, it's a good career for that, but if you don't like working with the poor and the undereducated, and if you can't stand answering the exact same question over and over and over, then aspects of the job will infuriate you.

Because it's a government job, the level of security is weird. Basically, once you get hired most places, you're impossible to fire without extensive documentation and effort, except for when the city council decides that a new football stadium and tax breaks for the mayor's cousin's construction firm are more important that library services that year and everyone gets laid off. This has the exact effect you might think that it does, where people are alternately terrified of the sky falling and so complacent and lazy that there's no motivation to work hard or do anything beyond the bare minimum because all the raises are set according to a schedule and there's no merit pay or extra productivity bonuses or anything.

If you're a dude, expect people outside the profession, and especially in city government, to assume you're either gay or a weirdo for wanting a woman's job. Yes, I'm serious. If you're a woman, expect the usual level of condescension and patronization from jerkbags that you find in most professions, even though this is a career field that is around 70-80% female. This is a definite problem that is known and is being discussed, but is far from solved.

We chat more about libraries and being librarians over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703604

• Locked thread