Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm considering going to school to learn about repairing musical instruments. I 'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with this as a vocation.
I won't be able to start until my daughter is in kindergarten so I have about 4 years to plan and think about this.
There is a training center for this about 30 miles from my house.
This job seems attractive to me - it requires skill, I have some mechanical aptitude, it may be profitable if I am good at it. I can also work out of my home or garage!
There is also the savings on repairing my own instruments. Saxophones are hideously expensive to work on!
Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I have some knowledge in this. My wife has been a repair tech for about six years now.

I'll just start from the top and go with the major stuff I remember/know.

-the course she took lasted a year at a tech school and was pretty neat, I got to sit in a few times.

-you'll have to sign up for a paid membership to napbirt, it's the major repair tech association and they have cons and stuff every year.

-napbirt is how you'll be finding jobs as every music shop in the country posts jobs on their website.

-this is the big one. If you're serious about working in this industry, prepare to move far. The listings can be all over the country and rarely where you actually want to go. Since we've been together, my wife and I have lived in Portland, Seattle, texarkana Texas, and as of now, liberty Missouri.

-pay varies from great to just above minimum and it's very easy to get stuck in a dead end job, but anywhere that gives hourly plus commission is usually good.

-unless you can afford a whole giant set of your own tools, you most likely won't end up fixing your own personal instruments. We had a nice tenor sad for years that she never fixed, either never had time at work, couldn't get take stuff home or just wanted to have nothing to do with work at home.

-like most retail based businesses, customers suck. Most of you customers will be music teachers/parents who don't understand what you do takes time.

-last thing I know is that most other techs in the industry fall into one of two catagories, 1) old men who are set in their ways and are grumpy or 2) young nerds.

If you want some more technical stuff I'll ask my wife to write something up tomorrow, as she just went to bed.

• Locked thread