Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I don't know anything about booze, what should I choose?

Store bought nog was a let down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I bought $15 jim beam, $15 meyers, and $15 e&j brandy. seemed fine but someone earlier in the thread commented that I spent money on good stuff? I wouldn't call any of that good. Booze is so cheap in the USA I love it.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Kaedric posted:

On the one hand I want to make this, but on the other I don't wanna spend 75 bucks in booze. Can I make this with white rum, which I happen to have lying around, or will that taste like rear end?

EDIT: To be clear I mean like, ONLY white rum. Just pour in a big jug of it into some eggs.

I wouldn't go only white rum. The booze is what's flavoring the nog. Thats why you use 3 types, to build a flavor.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
I nogged!

Followed the Alton Brown recipe with about 50% more booze - a mix of cheapish dark rum, brandy, Evan Williams and a nice blended whisky. 5 days in and it tastes exactly like baileys (?) Hoping it will take on a noggier character when it hits the two week mark.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ranter posted:

I bought $15 jim beam, $15 meyers, and $15 e&j brandy. seemed fine but someone earlier in the thread commented that I spent money on good stuff? I wouldn't call any of that good. Booze is so cheap in the USA I love it.

Yeah I used E&J, Evan Williams, and some similarly-priced dark rum that I can't quite remember. I guess it's the "good stuff" because it's not the bottom shelf.

Kaedric posted:

On the one hand I want to make this, but on the other I don't wanna spend 75 bucks in booze. Can I make this with white rum, which I happen to have lying around, or will that taste like rear end?

EDIT: To be clear I mean like, ONLY white rum. Just pour in a big jug of it into some eggs.

George Washington's recipe linked earlier calls for "Jamaica rum" which I guess may or may not be white. But he still put some whiskey and sherry in there for more flavors. Do 50/50 with something dark, or 1:1:1 with two dark liquors. I had kinda the opposite problem myself where I didn't have enough rum and brandy alone and had to toss in some bourbon. I was worried at first but it turns out 3 different kinds is ok.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Should I age it with nutmeg in it?

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

goodness posted:

Should I age it with nutmeg in it?

I am :shrug:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I ended up not because they didn't have fresh nutmeg.

I'll admit after it was made I was afraid it was going to be terrible. Smelled like straight alcohol. Tried a little and it was strong but the egg/dairy soothe it pretty fast. Really weird and awesome .

Would make again

The brandy bottle is green

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 11, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
yesssssssssss we are now nog brothers.

I thought the recipe said to add fresh grated nutmeg when serving, not when making.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
The smell is pretty intense when you first make it but it mellows out after a while.

I have a quart from summer 2015 left and going to make a couple more gallons this year. How is it with spiced rum? Used meyers last time but have a big costco spiced rum bottle laying around that seems like it would be a good use for.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, not making it this year. I got a request for it sprung on me on short notice, but none of the grocery stores around here have pasteurized eggs. I know the odds are low of any egg having salmonella, but I don't want to risk it and 1 week isn't enough time to be sure of alcohol killing it.

At least I've got enough booze to make a double batch when I get around to it for next year. Let it smooth out nice over 10-12 months. Have enough to give pints as a gift to a few people who I know particularly like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
By modern safety standards I think you'd have to eat one egg a day for 10 edit: 27 years before you had a 50/50 chance of getting an egg with salmonella.

Your bigger concern is that it's probably not going to taste good after one week, it'll probably still be harsh

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Salmonella is also not really a huge risk in healthy adults. It's not like your 1/20k chance of rolling a bad egg each time is a 100% chance of death. You face greater odds of catching a comparable stomach bug every time you go into public this time of year.

also if you've got a sous vide rig within borrowing range you can pasteurize your own eggs

e: some sites say to do it for much longer but here's a well-cited nerd post which concludes that 75 mins at 135F is adequate to pasteurize the eggs without changing the texture: http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/13902/how-to-pasteurize-eggs-in-a-sous-vide-machine-in-the-shell

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 12, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

El Disco posted:

Yeah I used E&J, Evan Williams, and some similarly-priced dark rum that I can't quite remember. I guess it's the "good stuff" because it's not the bottom shelf.

George Washington's recipe linked earlier calls for "Jamaica rum" which I guess may or may not be white. But he still put some whiskey and sherry in there for more flavors. Do 50/50 with something dark, or 1:1:1 with two dark liquors. I had kinda the opposite problem myself where I didn't have enough rum and brandy alone and had to toss in some bourbon. I was worried at first but it turns out 3 different kinds is ok.

In the 1700s, "Jamaica rum" would have been heady, dark, pot-stilled stuff with plenty of dunder (the foul crap left over from the previous distilling, thrown into the next batch for added flavor). Smith and Cross, an explicit attempt to recreate that now-dead style, is the standard booze nerd suggestion. David Wondrich also suggests a 50/50 mix of Wray and Nephew Overproof and generic dark rum (myers, gosling, coruba, etc)--both bottles are widely available at BevMo or whatever and maybe half the price of the S&C.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

In the 1700s, "Jamaica rum" would have been heady, dark, pot-stilled stuff with plenty of dunder (the foul crap left over from the previous distilling, thrown into the next batch for added flavor)

:stonk: I'm both horrified and intrigued.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
The process likely got started because it's really good at kickstarting fermentation--after all, dead yeast contains a pretty good blend of nutrients for growing your next batch of yeast. American whiskey uses a very similar concept, which they call sour mash, though to the best of my knowledge sour mash doesn't undergo further bacterial decomposition after being pulled out of the still in the same way dunder does.

Chemically speaking, the dundering process is supposed to be ideal for creating distillate that's heavy on esters--large-ish molecules that almost universally have extremely potent flavor/aromas (sometimes pleasant, sometimes not). All sorts of ridiculous tall tales have been told about dunder because the stuff apparently looks and smells so indescribably bad that you could believe it's spiked with rabbit poop or chicken blood or whatever.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The Australian in me wonders if it would make good Vegemite (leftover brewers yeast extract)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

El Disco posted:

Other notes, depending on your price level and desired degree of historical sperginess:

- George Washington's brandy would have been hopefully something french and pricey, but very young by the standards of the modern brandy industry. Look for something that is, if not cognac, at least French, but don't bother dropping the money on a VSOP or a XO. Even a modern VS will have spent more time in wood than almost all 1700s brandy.
- George Washington's sherry could have been of many different styles, some of which are more or less impossible to find today. In general, most punch recipes from the era use oloroso sherry, a style on the sweet end of dry, and looking at the recipe that's probably your best shot. Olorosos are not particularly hard to find, but in a pinch you can sub the slightly drier Amontillado style or even a quality ruby port/full-bodied Madeira. Do not use cream sherry.

For both the brandy and rye, it would have been relatively customary back then to sell them at "full-proof" e.g 100 proof e.g quite a bit more alcoholic than most modern spirits. As you might imagine people found all sorts of ways to adulterate or water down spirits and it would have been fairly rare for your average person to be drinking full-proof spirits, but George Washington would probably have had access to the good stuff. For an ~authentic~ experience, consider either rejiggering the ratios of alcoholic/nonalcoholic ingredients, or seeking out full proof spirits.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 13, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I was reading one of Kenji's articles about Nog and he suggested combining fresh and aged. Has anyone given that a shot? I'm considering doing it (which would also have the advantage of giving me a greater volume of nog that I could use for Christmas gifts).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That's not a bad idea. The aged stuff is definitely missing out on the custardy flavors of "regular" nog

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Trying out Alton Brown's recipe with some variations. My nog's been in the fridge for about a week so far. We used a mix of bourbon, coconut rum, and sweet vermouth. I went ahead and added nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove right at the start so I hope I didn't mess it up too much! We're not doing to drink it until Christmas, but it's hard to maintain this level of discipline so I may try a sip before to see how it's coming along.

It really smelled strong of alcohol but when I checked it tonight it didn't smell as strongly, so I'm going to take that as a good sign that flavors are marrying. Hopefully.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So last night I made hot chocolate spiked with last years nog. It was real good.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Does anyone have any experience with making regional Eggnog-like drinks, like Coquito or Rompope?

It seems like there is a greater demand for the nog I've made this year, and I'm considering giving one of those a shot. But now that I've read the age/fresh mixture idea, I might have to try that.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with making regional Eggnog-like drinks, like Coquito or Rompope?

This is a Coquito recipe that always got linked in the DIY Gifts thread, I think it's a goon's family recipe - https://justpaste.it/mj

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Just made a third batch of eggnog, help

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Just made a third batch of eggnog, help

try a beer bong

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just poured myself a glass of egg nog I made last year. Still tastes good, hope I don't get sick.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Is there any reason I can't make an eggnog with Baileys and spiced rum instead of bourbon and cognac?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Baileys is 17% abv and yet the instructions say not to use it after it's been opened for 6 months. Some bogs have less alcohol and keep better so maybe Baileys has an ingredient that just doesn't keep well. It might work but then again it might not!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 28, 2016

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My blended nog was a great success! I think I'll keep a little bottle round for next year, see how it turns out.

Since eggnog isn't really popular in New Zealand, I'm carving myself a nice Holiday party niche, introducing people to the boozy fun.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Baileys is 17% abv and yet the instructions say not to use it after it's been opened for 6 months. Some bogs have less alcohol and keep better so maybe Baileys has an ingredient that just doesn't keep well. It might work but then again it might not!

Never knew it said that. Pretty sure I've had bottles around for much longer than that.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My kosher salt has an expiration date so who the hell knows why dates are set like that

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Is there any reason I can't make an eggnog with Baileys and spiced rum instead of bourbon and cognac?

Baileys is irish whiskey and cream which is kind of redundant to add to nog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

This explains why a bottle I opened a few years ago that had been in a cabinet for at least twenty years, maybe closer to thirty, was completely solidified inside.

• Locked thread