Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Rented a tent a tent a tent
Rented a tent a tent a tent
Rented a tent
Rented a tent
Rented a rented a tent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't like the phrase "so it goes" but I kinda like Kurty V

It's better than loving "grok" though .

I love Slaughterhouse 5 and Galapagos very much (and Cat's Cradle and God Bless You Mr Rosewater) but Welcome to the Monkey House is an endearing favorite because it's set in the zoo in my hometown so I can imagine the setting really well.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 12, 2015

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

lol that is one dead old dude.

between shuffleboard im pretty sure kv is smiling up at us from hell

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Cat's Cradle is all anyone needs about religious stuff (maybe with Wise Blood). Mother Night was still the most meaningful for me though, didn't matter at all if it wasn't 'literary.'

edit: his random generic romances in womens' magazines are pretty funny

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I recently read slaughterhouse 5 and liked it

probably going to read cats cradle at some point

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Horniest Manticore posted:

the favorite author of people who don't read

Stop being so dang mean to everyone. Goddammit, you've got to be kind!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Asclepius Hot Rod posted:

Yes! That's one of my favorite scenes, makes me wish we had bomb and bullet vacuum planes. Flame sucking airplanes that removed fire from buildings in faraway lands and keep the little children of the people in the faraway land from combustion. It's a nice vision.

Someone was literally bitching about this years ago and it was so utterly baffling. They did the same thing in goon favorite Come and See in fact. I hate this forum.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baby Boomers loving adore Vonnegut. He needs to chill out a bit I think

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

mind the walrus posted:

hard to get any more chill than the chill of death

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hocus Pocus is underrated

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I read Galapagos and SH5, I thought they were okay

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
My favorite of his was Cat's Cradle, but let's not talk about stuff like that, let's talk about how he was a lovely untalented writer because he is a popular author and this is the something awful forum where popularity most certainly means your work is total dog poo poo and the world is a better place because you're dead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Slaughterhouse 5 was overrated dogshit when I was a kid but then after I got raped it really started to make more sense to me and I got where he was coming from.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mods!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Obligatory Handle posted:

My favorite of his was Cat's Cradle, but let's not talk about stuff like that, let's talk about how he was a lovely untalented writer because he is a popular author and this is the something awful forum where popularity most certainly means your work is total dog poo poo and the world is a better place because you're dead.

if you're not willing to say something is dogshit when it's dogshit you're a coward. doesn't mean you can't like dogshit. dogs like dogshit just fine.

i think the unwillingness to admit something you like is garbage/the unwillingness to like something that you admit is garbage is a big hindrance to the development of robust taste.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
also, only 2 or 3 people said "kv is garbage" (myself included) everybody else just said "i like xyz." why does your mind zero in on those isolated cases? why is your world composed of negative vibes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asclepius Hot Rod
Apr 5, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Which is kinda funny because half of the boomers that love him don't actually get the message.

Goes *zoom* right over their heads.

• Locked thread