Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Well youve come to the right place because I have a lot of pigs ive got 18 piglets on the ground rn and well here are some pictures of all the pigs

thanks for lookin at all my pigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
they look delicious

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Very nice pigs thank you for sharing!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

they look delicious

Ya I butcher the boars at 8-12 weeks for sausage and as small roasters, and the gilts I grow out for a year or so for hams and bacon and lard and other poo poo

That'll do pig

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Superconsndar posted:

Ya I butcher the boars at 8-12 weeks for sausage and as small roasters, and the gilts I grow out for a year or so for hams and bacon and lard and other poo poo

That'll do pig

Why that young for sausage? Do mature boars have some kind of taint in their meat?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Why that young for sausage? Do mature boars have some kind of taint in their meat?

If they are not castrated they can develop a strong taste in the meat.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

they look delicious

Deelicious.

Boot's tryna get a chut to move her butt.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Those are the cutest animals I can't eat :allears:

Fuzzy pigs, man. Mom-pig (I assume) reminds me of like, a blue merle sheepdog with her coloring.

Now please send me the orange one with a fuckton of spots so I can have him forever.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Apprentice Dick posted:

If they are not castrated they can develop a strong taste in the meat.

Yeah, this. Boar taint is genetic and I'm selecting against it so I just cull any that show it really early. I am learning to castrate so will eventually probably keep some barrows to grow out with my gilts but I'll still cull the majority of boars just because pigs have enormous litters and I don't have the pasture to raise every single pig born to size, and only so many are good enough to sell as breeding stock. They make really nice rabbit sized whole roasters at 8 weeks or so; just salt and pepper them and throw them in a roasting pan with some aromatics. I do that with the ones that show only mild taint, and the ones where its really strong I just grind for spiced sausage. Females I'll usually keep to grow to size.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

That's a lot of adorable sausage.

Besides sex causing a different flavor to the meat, does breed at all differ the taste? Or do domesticated pigs all taste the same?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

That's a lot of adorable sausage.

Besides sex causing a different flavor to the meat, does breed at all differ the taste? Or do domesticated pigs all taste the same?

You can get a pretty big difference in flavour from breed to breed, mostly in the fat content of the meat. Pigs that provide leaner meat tend to be more popular in the west while asian countries tend to prefer pigs that provide fattier pork (as a broad generalisation obviously).

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

You can get a pretty big difference in flavour from breed to breed, mostly in the fat content of the meat. Pigs that provide leaner meat tend to be more popular in the west while asian countries tend to prefer pigs that provide fattier pork (as a broad generalisation obviously).

Yeah it varies tremendously, mostly to do with fat and marbling. Lard is really starting to come back in style in the west though. I raise registered kunekunes (some of the pigs in these pics are mixes, but I am gradually transitioning to all registered stock) because I'm into charcuterie and they are amazing charcuterie pigs due to the amount of marbling they have and the thickness of their fat covering on larger cuts (more fat enables longer drying times for cured meats and thus more/better flavor development.) Most western commercial pig breeds are so lean that they aren't ideal for the production of cured meats. I'd also like to eventually add a Mangalitsa or two to my herd to experiment with crossing them with the kunes, they have really incredible marbling.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Look at their little spots. :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

El Scotch posted:

Look at their little spots. :3:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Thank you for sharing additional photos of the piglets! I don't know why it took me this long to see this thread!

bacon...... sausage....... yummmmm

Your photos also show they are raised humanely.

It is great to see the goats too :)

ZeroTime
Oct 13, 2011
How many piglets does a mother usually have at once?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Anywhere from 1-16. :) It varies a lot by breed, and the age of the sow is also a factor. The kunes typically have smaller litters (I would say 4-8 or 9 is about average for them) but it isn't uncommon for some breeds to have a dozen+ per litter.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I love seeing pigs be pigs. They're pretty, pretty porklets.

Superconsndar posted:

I am learning to castrate

Do you use an elastrator, or just go in and lop 'em off? I was in Ag class in high school, and the teacher would just have us flip the pigs so he could slice slice an remove, then just douse in betadine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah, this. Boar taint is genetic and I'm selecting against it so I just cull any that show it really early.

Am I understanding this correctly that 'boar taint' is something you can see, so you are killing pigs that look like they will taste bad? if so, what does it look like?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

spog posted:

Am I understanding this correctly that 'boar taint' is something you can see, so you are killing pigs that look like they will taste bad? if so, what does it look like?
It's the area between the genitals and the anus of course. Never eat the taint. Of any animal.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Slugworth posted:

It's the area between the genitals and the anus of course. Never eat the taint. Of any animal.

The reference of Boar Taint above I believe is in reference to the flavor that can happen within the fat and certain hormones that are released at/after puberty.

Found a wikipedia entry about Boar Taint! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint#Causes

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

piscesbobbie posted:

The reference of Boar Taint above I believe is in reference to the flavor that can happen within the fat and certain hormones that are released at/after puberty.

Found a wikipedia entry about Boar Taint! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar_taint#Causes

Preeeety sure they were talking about the perineal region.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Superconsndar posted:

Yeah, this. Boar taint is genetic and I'm selecting against it so I just cull any that show it really early. I am learning to castrate so will eventually probably keep some barrows to grow out with my gilts but I'll still cull the majority of boars just because pigs have enormous litters and I don't have the pasture to raise every single pig born to size, and only so many are good enough to sell as breeding stock. They make really nice rabbit sized whole roasters at 8 weeks or so; just salt and pepper them and throw them in a roasting pan with some aromatics. I do that with the ones that show only mild taint, and the ones where its really strong I just grind for spiced sausage. Females I'll usually keep to grow to size.

I don't know nuffin about pigs but grew up on a working cattle ranch, I would imagine sheer physical size of uncastrated piglets might also become an issue?

We castrate (by banding) pretty much at birth and even 2-3 months later when it's time to brand it is SUPER obvious if there's some testosterone still around. I dunno how fast piglets grow but intact bull calves are noticeably larger and more muscular than castrated steers within just a couple months.

Drum posted:

I love seeing pigs be pigs. They're pretty, pretty porklets.

Do you use an elastrator, or just go in and lop 'em off? I was in Ag class in high school, and the teacher would just have us flip the pigs so he could slice slice an remove, then just douse in betadine.

For a long time my dad just used a scalpel but eventually decided the reduced hassle from banding was worth the small failure rate. Holding down a baby calf in the snow and trying to castrate it while angry momma cow anxiously circles is not easy or fun and you run a pretty good risk of cutting yourself.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

spog posted:

no, it's a smell.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my mum wants to get a pig, we're jewish so idk what's going on there. but i've told her if we get a pig it has to be one of these. walking nuggets imo

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Avshalom posted:

my mum wants to get a pig, we're jewish so idk what's going on there. but i've told her if we get a pig it has to be one of these. walking nuggets imo

As a fellow Jew, I know where she's coming from. My god those pigs are adorable.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

adorable pigs indeed! I am wondering, Superconsndar has been 'perma banned.' Does that mean no more posts or pictures of cute pigs?

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

Wheats posted:

no, it's a smell.

YOURE a smell!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

piscesbobbie posted:

adorable pigs indeed! I am wondering, Superconsndar has been 'perma banned.' Does that mean no more posts or pictures of cute pigs?

yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
Rip little bird. Fly free

• Locked thread