Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
So Ive had a 95 240sx for years and years now, it's been reliable but I live in the North East, so I am getting tired of constantly fighting rust and putting on new coats of POR. It's a great car (the 240) and in very good condition for a 20 year old car.

As it so happened I came upon a decent deal for a 2014 Subaru wrx wagon. I've always wanted some sweet sweet turbo action, and I do love the extra space in the wagon version. I'm not too familiar with Subies, but I was wondering what the AI thoughts were on these. Are there any quirks I should know about? For reference I will be getting this one from a dealer, it will have 11k miles on it and a 7 yr 100k warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

MasterOSkillio posted:

So Ive had a 95 240sx for years and years now, it's been reliable but I live in the North East, so I am getting tired of constantly fighting rust and putting on new coats of POR. It's a great car (the 240) and in very good condition for a 20 year old car.

As it so happened I came upon a decent deal for a 2014 Subaru wrx wagon. I've always wanted some sweet sweet turbo action, and I do love the extra space in the wagon version. I'm not too familiar with Subies, but I was wondering what the AI thoughts were on these. Are there any quirks I should know about? For reference I will be getting this one from a dealer, it will have 11k miles on it and a 7 yr 100k warranty.

The biggest question is have you driven one? Do that first before you make up your mind. I'd also recommend the GTI and ST twins for comparison.

Some have been underwhelmed by the feeling and emotion, some obviously are die-hard enthusiasts. You really need to take one for a spin.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

howling_mad posted:

The biggest question is have you driven one? Do that first before you make up your mind. I'd also recommend the GTI and ST twins for comparison.

Some have been underwhelmed by the feeling and emotion, some obviously are die-hard enthusiasts. You really need to take one for a spin.

Agreed, I have a test drive setup for this Sat, I do remember enjoying the heck out of my friends turbo saab. Obviously the saab and a WRX are not really comparable, but is the VW GTI a good WRX comparison? I didn't know that I get the Ford ST though, I'll look into both.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

MasterOSkillio posted:

Agreed, I have a test drive setup for this Sat, I do remember enjoying the heck out of my friends turbo saab. Obviously the saab and a WRX are not really comparable, but is the VW GTI a good WRX comparison? I didn't know that I get the Ford ST though, I'll look into both.

AWD or not the GTI still competes from a practicality, price, and performance perspective. The test drive will help decide definitely.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
I thought you were talking to yourself for a minute...

Anyways, I owned an 07 WRX for several years. It was an excellent car all around. I liked the interior, in spite of what people say about it. It did not feel cheap at all and lasted well for 100k miles. When I got rid of the car, it still looked brand new. Stock performance was humdrum, but with an intake, tune and turboback exhaust, the fucker would move with authority. I loved the old, school, laggy powerband where the car would go feeling slower than a miata at 2000rpms, to punching you in the chest at 3000.

The car had a lot of understeer, but it was still the best car I ever bombed on a back road in, better than a Miata, Celica, Mustang, Gen Coupe, GTI, or 228i. Pulling hard out of a corner with that kind of grip is really another experience and no other car I've driven in has replicated that.

If you get one, you'll probably love it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
No mods. If it's a stocker, probably wont be any issues

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Check with your insurance company beforehand, in many areas the WRX is the car that gets in accidents at a higher rate than any other and they are often shockingly expensive to insure, costing more than even much more expensive models.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Check with your insurance company beforehand, in many areas the WRX is the car that gets in accidents at a higher rate than any other and they are often shockingly expensive to insure, costing more than even much more expensive models.

In the UK at least any Impreza costs a shitload to insure, apparently due to a combination of the owner demographic and Subaru's eye watering parts prices. I went from a non-turbo Impreza to a 3 series with like 80 more horsepower and cut my annual insurance bill in half.

See if you can get a test ride without a ride-along and find yourself some nice twisties. If you drive it like the 240 it will probably seem very understeery. Drive it a bit like a FWD car with more speed into and lots of lift or brake into corners until it drifts, then add and maintain throttle and it shouldn't significantly understeer (I don't know if they have stability+traction control on the newer ones, but you'll want to turn that off obviously). I went from an E30 to the Subaru and had to adjust quite a lot so I wasn't asking the front to do too much mid-corner.

Also post your query in the Subaru thread if you haven't already.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Saga posted:

In the UK at least any Impreza costs a shitload to insure, apparently due to a combination of the owner demographic and Subaru's eye watering parts prices. I went from a non-turbo Impreza to a 3 series with like 80 more horsepower and cut my annual insurance bill in half.

See if you can get a test ride without a ride-along and find yourself some nice twisties. If you drive it like the 240 it will probably seem very understeery. Drive it a bit like a FWD car with more speed into and lots of lift or brake into corners until it drifts, then add and maintain throttle and it shouldn't significantly understeer (I don't know if they have stability+traction control on the newer ones, but you'll want to turn that off obviously). I went from an E30 to the Subaru and had to adjust quite a lot so I wasn't asking the front to do too much mid-corner.

Also post your query in the Subaru thread if you haven't already.

When I was living in Cali insurance for an 09 WRX, or 09 M3 were identical. It's beyond insane.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tremblay posted:

When I was living in Cali insurance for an 09 WRX, or 09 M3 were identical. It's beyond insane.
Am M3? HAH. My WRX's insurance was the same they'd quote me for a gen-u-ine supercar.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No mods. If it's a stocker, probably wont be any issues

This is the biggest thing. I'd also love to know the history of a car that's always been so in demand like a WRX with 11k on it that's back at a dealership.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
The Test drive went really well, with the exception that my insurance is going to be 2x what it was with the 240 I'm definitely interested. I can't get them below 27k on the car though, I was hoping to do closer to 24-25. I guess it's because it's a popular car?

Tested out a GTI and Ford, I think I'm just not into fwd, they are worlds better then the Saturn I had way back when, but honestly I would like to be in either with rwd or awd car.

EDIT: The carfax was clean plus since this is a dealership certified preowned thing it would have a 7yr 100k warranty. So I'm not incredibly worried about that.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
In the NW here the going rate for a 2015 premium appears to be 29k. 27k for a 2014 is absurd.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Maksimus54 posted:

In the NW here the going rate for a 2015 premium appears to be 29k. 27k for a 2014 is absurd.

Agreed. Not a deal.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

Maksimus54 posted:

Well I guess that's why they won't make any deal with me. Dang.

EDIT: or do you mean absurd in the sense that it's too high, cause that's what I thought for something with 11k miles on it.

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 25, 2015

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
These cars tend to have very good resale value in general, although the last gen hatch has held better than average due to them not offering the hatch/wagon anymore.

The newer 15/16 cars are much better, IMO. better MPG and the chassis/suspension are much firmer. I'd much prefer the new one, if you can live with the sedan.

My modified 14' wrx hatch blew up with 33k on the clock and I'm now DD'ing a golf R. The R is definitely a better car for commuting, and is overall a much tighter car. Not quite as fast or as fun as my wrx was, but close enough that I'm happy with it stock. Of course, an undetectable JB1 might be in its future... Maybe not though since I'll be able to get my jollies off on the wrx when I get it rebuilt with 400-500 at the wheels.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I meant it is a terrible deal. A brand new 2015/2016 premium is selling for 29k in the PNW. The new models are better in every way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's only another $4k from what you were willing to pay to get a brand new one, I'd be very inclined to do that.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
I'm hoping to wrap up purchasing a '16 WRX next week. I've never gotten a NEW car before, mainly because I want to throw up when I think about the depreciation, but an older WRX can sell for so drat much that it changed my mind.

I also got hosed by buying a used GTI that should have been the textbook perfect used car (low miles with a retired college professor as the only owner), but was poorly maintained and/or beat to poo poo and cost me a relative fortune to get squared away. The point being, lord knows what was done to a car like that in those 11k miles. Having a 100k mile warranty does mitigate the risk, but still.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

68Bird posted:

I also got hosed by buying a used GTI that should have been the textbook perfect used car (low miles with a retired college professor as the only owner), but was poorly maintained and/or beat to poo poo and cost me a relative fortune to get squared away

and/or just a VW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
A WRX is one of the few cars I don't mind buying new. They retain their value like crazy. Last year I remember seeing a 2008 with 75k miles being listed for $20k at a dealership.

• Locked thread