Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

So this morning I get a call that one of our TVs had fallen off the wall. I work in IT at a Fortune 500 company and any TVs with a network connected device are our responsibility. I was pretty amazed that a TV had just fallen since (I thought) our maintenance crew does a pretty solid job. That confidence was shattered when I saw this lovely job.

Welp.

Hey guys look at that sturdy stud! Oh wait...

Amazingly the TV still works. When I showed this to the head of the maintenance department he actually said that the mount was made to go right into drywall. This is a heavy 47" TV on an adjustable arm, there's no way you can anchor this to drywall and call it a day.

Now every TV in the entire company campus needs to be inspected. And we already found a TV that's coming out of the wall somewhere else.

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It would've been faster to just use a nail and some wire heh.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Jeez, how anyone could have thought that was a good idea is beyond me. Suprised it held long enough for them to clean up their tools. Maaaaaybe if it was flat-mounted.

I just had a similar instance at my new home with my old first gen 52"1080p flatscreen. We have a perfect spot to put it on a swingarm mount in our living room but I was worried that the ~45lbs swung out on an arm would torque up the stud sometime in the future.

I solved the problem by buying a new TV thats about 1/6th the weight. Old one went in the bedroom.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I never saw the photos, but years ago when I did some IT contracting for a local home theatre installer the crew apparently "damaged" a $10k 70" Plasma. This was right as they came out and I believe it was a Pioneer Elite super-fancy unreleased model. It was installed in a street of dreams home, our local version of a contractors high end subdivision where they "showcase" their work with local architects. Apparently the crew did exactly this. They mounted this 5"+ thick, several hundred pound TV using nothing but wing drywall anchors. It fell off the wall one night and cracked the screen. This was just days before the public tours opened. I have no idea how, but the supplier got a replacement in and the owner ate the costs. Needless to say the company went under due to more and more gently caress ups like this.

Edit* The damaged TV sat in their storage area for the next two years, the owner kept hoping he could find a "good deal" on a replacement screen... It ended up in a dumpster when they closed.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
As someone who works in Digital Signage that makes me laugh. You have to use plywood screwed to the studs (or reinforce the wall) and a proper VESA mount.

the spyder posted:

I never saw the photos, but years ago when I did some IT contracting for a local home theatre installer the crew apparently "damaged" a $10k 70" Plasma. This was right as they came out and I believe it was a Pioneer Elite super-fancy unreleased model. It was installed in a street of dreams home, our local version of a contractors high end subdivision where they "showcase" their work with local architects. Apparently the crew did exactly this. They mounted this 5"+ thick, several hundred pound TV using nothing but wing drywall anchors. It fell off the wall one night and cracked the screen. This was just days before the public tours opened. I have no idea how, but the supplier got a replacement in and the owner ate the costs. Needless to say the company went under due to more and more gently caress ups like this.

Edit* The damaged TV sat in their storage area for the next two years, the owner kept hoping he could find a "good deal" on a replacement screen... It ended up in a dumpster when they closed.

Last year it took 3 of us and a crank lift to hang a $30k 92in 4k screen that weighed over 300 lbs. I was standing on the back of the lift with the screen lifted, I stepped off the lift and drat near dropped the screen when the lift started to fall over. I had to jump back on it to balance it again. Scared the poo poo out of me.

• Locked thread