Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkmessiah
Nov 3, 2012

So i was slumming around craigslist looking at old beaters and a 1977 maverick pops up for 400 dollars of course i know nothing of vehicles and i saw this
http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/5314077407.html
Now should i actually buy this or avoid this ? Any advice would be great

*This is ment to be a hobby car as i already have a reliable truck for regular driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Definitely buy it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'd bet money you can fit your head through the rust hole in the floorpan. Looking at the area around the headlight and the bottom of the driver's door, i would think one good speedbump and that car will fold in half.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What other car are you going to get for $400 whose interior is a 7 out of 10? And a 70s interior at that. Probably got a big bench seat.

You can just park that in the backyard while you pretend you're working on it, and go out to the car to have a smoke and listen to the radio when the kids are making a racket. If your old lady's down with it she might even let you ball her in the back seat like old times.

Just know ahead of time you can't just rock any goddamn bullshit ratty white wife-beater with it. You're gonna have to get some of that puke-green flannel to go with your good times go-kart.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm going to be the one going with him to look at it so wish him luck :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sandbagger SA posted:

I'm going to be the one going with him to look at it so wish him luck :v:

Bonus points for a picture of you two flintstoning it home.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Powershift posted:

He'll have the honor. I'll be driving behind him.

Drunkmessiah
Nov 3, 2012

Powershift posted:

Ill take some photos when i get there , apparently the guy selling has bin in the hospital for like 3 weeks with a collapsed lung or poo poo so im hoping to see a man in a iron lug being wheeled about

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

If it has holes in the floor just steal a street sign or two and slip them under the floor mats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Update:

Good:
The floor was solid (from underneath no less) and I was surprised.
The interior was actually not bad
I could barely see under it to see the frame rails and the suspension mounts but I nothing looked horribly rotted.

Bad
There was at least one flat tire
Owner hadn't told us beforehand that it hadn't been started in at least two years.

WTF
The hood was mysteriously not bolted on though the mounting brackets and the bolts were present.
The owner offered to let us borrow his car dolly to bring it back.

I suggested that OP take a pass based on it not being immediately drivable and him being new to terrible car projects.

• Locked thread