Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

wyntyr posted:

Who is your giftee: my father
Budget: $100-ish, can go up from there for the right thing but he's not terribly ostentatious (also he makes baller cash so anything expensive he's likely already bought himself)
Giftee's age: 59
Known likes/interests: gospel music (particularly like the Brooklyn tabernacle choir), yard decoration / renovation (he's addicted to getting free plants off of Craigslist). Loves Christmas to an almost pathological degree.
Known hates/allergies: not looking for anything in the knife / flashlight / outdoorsy category. I'm the member of the family with those interests and have already outfitted him with the best reasonable stuff.
Type of gift you are looking for: I'll be blunt - my mom has recently passed and all of his grandkids are hundreds of miles away. He's alone in a giant house with his dog. I want something that can give him some physical connection or reminder of his family (not Mom, we've got that covered).
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: the simplest things have often been the best. He really likes a stupid USB Christmas tree I got him off think geek years ago. :shobon:

Have you thought about using a service such as shutterfly to create a personalized calendar with family members birthdays and photos? It's a good reminder of when to call and what everyone looks like do that he can feel a part of memories. There's a bunch of other useful stuff you can make with family photos too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

wyntyr posted:

Who is your giftee: my father
Budget: $100-ish, can go up from there for the right thing but he's not terribly ostentatious (also he makes baller cash so anything expensive he's likely already bought himself)
Giftee's age: 59
Known likes/interests: gospel music (particularly like the Brooklyn tabernacle choir), yard decoration / renovation (he's addicted to getting free plants off of Craigslist). Loves Christmas to an almost pathological degree.
Known hates/allergies: not looking for anything in the knife / flashlight / outdoorsy category. I'm the member of the family with those interests and have already outfitted him with the best reasonable stuff.
Type of gift you are looking for: I'll be blunt - my mom has recently passed and all of his grandkids are hundreds of miles away. He's alone in a giant house with his dog. I want something that can give him some physical connection or reminder of his family (not Mom, we've got that covered).
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: the simplest things have often been the best. He really likes a stupid USB Christmas tree I got him off think geek years ago. :shobon:

What about one of those digital photo frames with the rotating photos? I'm sure there are Xmas decorated ones.

I know around Flagstaff we have the North Pole Experience but that is only around Xmas itself. Is there one in your area?

I would like to add that this past Xmas I was in a stump for my nephew, who was 8 at the time, and I found out after I got him his Xmas gift (which was something I got almost everyone last year, ask my SA Secret Santa, a 3 foot tall stuffed Olaf plush) that everyone else had pitched in to get him a PS4 and games. Well gently caress, no plush can compare to that. But from what his family said, that kid did play some games...but he ended up wrestling with Olaf all day, dragged Olaf around the house, even fell asleep on him. Olaf for the win, bitches.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Cowslips Warren posted:

I would like to add that this past Xmas I was in a stump for my nephew, who was 8 at the time, and I found out after I got him his Xmas gift (which was something I got almost everyone last year, ask my SA Secret Santa, a 3 foot tall stuffed Olaf plush) that everyone else had pitched in to get him a PS4 and games. Well gently caress, no plush can compare to that. But from what his family said, that kid did play some games...but he ended up wrestling with Olaf all day, dragged Olaf around the house, even fell asleep on him. Olaf for the win, bitches.

Aw, yiss. Nothing better than getting confirmation that you own at gift giving.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Who is your giftee: My boyfriend, who is turning 30
Budget: ~$100
Known likes/interests: Rock climbing, camping, photography, playing hockey, video games (just got an Oculus Rift), male fashion/grooming. Generally things I know nothing about, and assume he has the essentials/his preferred set-up already.
Known hates/allergies: He'll be getting on a plane with this gift so it does have to be ok as a carry-on.
Type of gift you are looking for: We are currently doing the long-distance thing while I'm finishing grad school, and for his birthday will be spending some time together traveling, so I want something tangible to give him in addition. I like finding cool gadgets that might not be obviously needed in his hobbies, but turn out to be useful. I don't know much about the Oculus, but some sort of third-party accessory that could enhance his experience would be great (like the Leap Motion controller, but that doesn't seem to have good reviews). We are also planning to move to Seattle in the next year, and have aspirations towards getting a cabin, so something related to either of those goals would work. This being his 30th birthday, and as we're coming up on our 10 year anniversary, I'm leaning towards something sentimental over utilitarian.
Ideas that you've had or gifts that have been enjoyed in the past: I've gotten him personalized stuff that he really likes and gets use out of like his first watch and a monogrammed passport cover for all his travel documents when he visits. I've also gotten him stuff for his hobbies such as a backpack for his DLSR equipment, and a gift card for rock climbing lessons. I know he would love a Pendleton blanket, or this art, but they're both out of my price range.

VVV Thanks! If there's something absolutely perfect that couldn't be done as a carry-on, he would probably check the bag for it, or I could mail it to him, but I'd prefer to give him something in person and not obligate him to spend an extra $25 getting it home. I'm pretty sure he does have a multi-tool at this point as he is both better informed on the best tools and makes much more than I do so can afford most things he knows he wants and needs, so the real challenge is finding something he'd get a lot of use out of but wouldn't be an obvious must-have for enthusiasts.

Drei fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 21, 2016

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
It needing to be okay as a carry on limits a lot of the choices that come to mind for me, as when I think of my own experiences as a camper / hiker, I think of the many, many times that the Leatherman Wave my wife gave me over a decade ago has saved my rear end.

One thing to keep in mind is that with the right engraving, virtually any gift can be sentimental in addition to being utilitarian. I'll sleep on it and see if anything comes to mind.

And kudos on making it ten years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

The most recent discovery of hiking related gifts that can be carried on:crampons

Hardly sentimental though.

My thought for sentimentality is to get a cheesy keyring that says Seattle and that can imply your future together.

Or perhaps a plane ticket back to you?

• Locked thread