Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

The Story in Brief
It is time, once again, for the great millenial fair! This exciting responsibility rest upon your small, yet old, town of Windcrest every one thousand years. Or so you've been told! Likely you are not old enough to know! Regardless, your normally small town will be bustling with visitors and important people from out of town, there's even talk that the Emporer King himself will be visiting! How very exciting!

Of course, with the Emporer King's visit, come his elite gaurd, see, though Windcrest has been spared any interaction with it, the war against the Magician and his band of Evil Rebels carries on, and the Emporer King can never be too safe. In fact, the town has taken to hiring the only members aside from it's gaurds that it can really count on as warriors for extra security.

That's where you come in.

What are you?
You are an adventurer, a warrior of some, loose description. Perhaps you are actually a hunter, or a blacksmith, or maybe you just like rock climbing, regardless, the town has your profession listed as "warrior" before any other until the Emporer King has left. You must make a good impression you know!

I'm going for an SNES/GB RPG feel for this game, my main inspirations being Final Fantasy Legend, Chrono Trigger and Secret of Evermore, be advised!

Mechanically, you are a 3rd level character.
With Inherent Bonuses
As well as a Theme and Background
and you bet that you have Melee Training and Improved Defenses as bonus feats!
Your stats will be done by Standard Point Buy
Your gear will be Standard lvl 2, lvl 3, lvl 4, 520 gold
I will also need 1-2 days of the week you are available to Skype I'm booked solid for Saturday and Sunday.
as well as whether you prefer Chrono Trigger or Fire Emblem style sprites.
In addition, answer one of these questions:
- Why do you feel uneasy around the Emporer King?
- Why do you give others a fake name?
- Why are you clenching your weapon/implement so tightly at the fair?

How is this being run
Either weekly or bi-weekly via Roll20 and Skype on the most convienent day for you guys.

How do I contact you with questions?
Both my Skype, and my Steam are: DoctorMoriatti

Applications will be closed 1 week from today on Thursday, December 10th at midnight EST! In the following 24 hours, I will determine the party (Sized 4-5).

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'mma ask a question or two over skype, but I'll type at least two of'm here:

Are we going to get an expertise feat?
How long is this campaign going to go, level wise?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Are we going to get an expertise feat?
Yes, it will be a story reward.

Gharbad the Weak posted:

How long is this campaign going to go, level wise?
FOREVER!
....My basic idea probably takes you guys into early paragon, with a few hooks if you wanted higher level shenanigans.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I am planning on creating a Melee Rogue.

What should we do about magic items? Standard lvl 2, lvl 3, lvl 4, 520 gold?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, that should work fine.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Planning on making a fighter with the biggest sword.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Mr. Scabies

Hengeyokai Wererat Rogue and Courier of the Damned

Mr. Scabies is a half-rat fey creature, whose other half is also half rat. As such, he is only able to maintain ratlike forms.

Mr. Scabies is a member of the loosely organized Couriers of the Damned, a society based on glorified mailmen basically getting Packages That Ought Not Be Opened to Places That Ought Not Be Mentioned for People Who Ought Not Be Named. He's fairly low on the totem pole, currently, though, so it's more like Packages that are Slightly Stinky, delivered to Houses that are Rarely Cleaned, for People who Rarely Shave.

Because of the environments he's gotten to, he's managed to have himself some decent adventures. He's... well, he's not WELL known for these, but he did manage to (with help) successfully kidnap the leader of a gang, assassinate one of the world's youngest evil necromancers, and perform a successful infiltration/rescue mission in a goblin cave through a lot of lies and the clever use of hats.

As such, Mr. Scabies is currently referred to as a Warrior Mailman, and Woe Betide those who threaten his charge!

Why do you feel uneasy around the Emporer King?

This won't be the first time that Mr. Scabies thinks he has seen the Emporer King. In a far away town, Mr. Scabies was looking for a nook to crash for the night. He stumbled upon a secret meeting between what looked like The King and a Mysterious Hooded Figure. The two shook hands, and this is the only time Scabies has seen (what could have been) The King without his gloves: his right hand was a mass of tentacles.

So far, Mr. Scabies has told no one of this.

Why do you give others a fake name?

Mr. Scabies real name is a high pitched squeak that most people can't hear. He named himself after the first word he heard, when he passed by a small child who said "Scabies!" Mr. Scabies does not have scabies, as the child was referring to someone slightly behind and to the left of Mr. Scabies. By the time Mr. Scabies learned what it meant, it was too late and the name stuck.

Why are you clenching your weapon/implement so tightly at the fair?

Something smells like squid.

Edit: I am, for now, available on Fridays. I'm in a game right now that's Monday OR Tuesday, but if I can get that pinned down to one day, I could probably do Monday as well.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 4, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Shuten-Douji, King of the Mountain

Oni Hybrid Barbarian/Sorceror and Yakuza Heiress

Shuten-Douji was born into wealth, power, and formality. This isn't really new for adventurers. Who knows, some kind of bored noble? You'd be half right.
The power and wealth she was born into was a powerful criminal enterprise, the Oeyama Syndicate. The only child of the former Oyabun, she's been raised from a very young age to take over the family, and keep it going.

...But she doesn't actually have to worry about doing that until the current Oyabun, her adoptive father, dies. Which isn't looking all too likely; Ibaraki's doing fine. So it's time to get into as many fights as possible, and as much trouble as she can before she has to retire to a life behind a desk, organizing the many branches of the syndicate and making public appearances in court whenever the group gets sued.

Realizing she had probably around 20 or 30 years before she has to worry about it, she hosed off to parts unknown back when she was around 14 and has been messing around with party to party since. Never anything significant, until now!!

gently caress the police.

It's more of a title than a fake name. Her real name's Ibuki Akane.

Is there any other way to hold it?

Notes:
I can't even play as an ogre to accommodate being an oni?? W/e longtooth shifter with a coat of paint over it

Also, I can play on Fridays almost always.

Also also, I guess I personally think Fire Emblem's character sprites are nicer. Chrono Trigger has better backgrounds though.

mdct fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 4, 2015

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Probably apping a Defender or Controller. Most likely a Swordmage or Invoker. Available any day except Monday or Thursday.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 4, 2015

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I like this concept so here's what I have so far, he's a former blacksmith's apprentice that did a bad and got thrown into priest school. he's the "older brother" archetype often seen in jrpgs and should be the oldest party member unless someone's an elf or something then he'll just be older mentally. being that i hope he doesn't die at the climax of the first disk or turn out to be the bad guy all along...

pictured: Rolfe from the gritty ps1 sequel. wip obviously, couldn't find a good hammer to photoshop in so I'm gonna have to paint one myself. unless op plans on making portraits idk

I'll need to chat later about the gods and a little plan I have so I can fill in the rest of his backstory. also I'm new to 4e so I'm not sure if the build is good or not

next week is concert week in choir for me so it's terrible, the only day that works well is Wed where I can do about 4:45 est and on. otherwise it'll be around 11:30 to midnight est on Friday and anywhere from 10:30-midnight on Tuesday or Thursday. after that week I'm free almost every evening after Tuesday and mornings/afternoons every day for a month.

owl milk fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 4, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Looking good so far guys, and while I appreciate everyone answering multiple questions, you are only required to answer one.
I'm liking the responses so far though! So either way!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I can't find you on Steam, so I'll just keep asking questions here.

Can we buy/receive over time Boons?
Are Dragonmarks allowed?
Hey, I actually want to play a Warlord, so can I apply twice and prefer to be a warlord but also be a rat-rat if it comes down to it?
Can people with a Strength primary or secondary choose to take another feat instead of melee training?

If I was a warlord with history training, and took the Legend Lore 2nd level utility (you make a history check instead of a knowledge check) along with ritual caster, would I be allowed to use History in place of other knowledge skills in rituals?

If that's the case, are there any ritual houserules I need to be aware of?

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 4, 2015

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Assuming I get the answers I hope for in the above:

Professor Dewitte, Warlord Scholar

(Note: I don't have Archer Warlord, and I'm not sure how to remove it)

Professor Dewitte has learned quite a few odds and ends in his day. He earned his research through careful study, dilligence, patience, and occasionally bashing a few things over their heads in search of historical artifacts. A Warrior Scholar, Dewitte enjoys elucidation both in conversation and high impact flails. He also has a sense of humor so bad that people often don't realize he's joking and that he's just stating the obvious in strange tones.

The Professor has a particular like to ancient legends and prophecy, and enjoys the fact that so many seem to be talking about this very time period! Isn't that funny? Why, you'd think it was the end of the world!

Well, you can expect to find ancient paintings depicting sacrifices towards someone who looks very much like the current Emporer King once or twice due to sheer coincidence.

Three times, and it's getting a bit silly.

Why are you clenching your weapon so tightly at the fair?

If my calculations are correct, three different prophecies are actually scheduled to come to fulfillment right about now. They all involve sacrifice. Two are supposed to be preventable.

Edit: Time's available have changed a bit: Definite Thursdays and Fridays, could probably work a Monday or Tuesday. I'd like to see Dewitte as a Fire Emblem guy.

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 5, 2015

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Just sent you a request, Dragonmarks are... Fine, since IIRC, they burn up a feat slot.

As for replacing melee training, yes on a case by case basis, ritual casting is a good replacement and I encourage it, so that is good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I didn't even think to post this, but I guess it is worth mentioning since it is a house rule I always play with.

You can have at least 4 skills trained if your class doesn't provide that already.

Also, ignore the class skill list if you like, train in what your character would know!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Dee the Bugbear Buff Human Fighter

Dee was born Dietricha Ediltrudis Braun, formerly crown princess of Bruhl, a small kingdom technically still led by its king, although in practice it is dominated by the Empire and its royal family are more just figureheads for its people. Dee's heart was never into being a figurehead, though. She went through the motions that nobles were supposed to go through, but when her lessons ended she would go to the knight's barracks to take lessons from them. Once she was to be married to an oaf she had no interest in, she was done with the noble life. Finding a knight who was sympathetic to her, she managed to acquire a piece of armor and a sword. While the sword was quite a bit larger than she was used too, she adapted to it quickly.

And thus Dee went out to survive in the wild. It was rough going for a while, since even with her unlady-like behavior, she was still used to the rich life, but she's mostly adapted now. Nearly all of her snooty accent is gone, even! Nowadays, she spends most of her time defending a small town where absolutely no nobles will come and recognize her... Oops. She can't exactly run away from her responsibilities in Windcrest, even if she is risking being noticed.

Why do you feel uneasy around the Emperor King?

Remember that oaf that Dee refused to marry? That just happened to be the Emperor King's nephew. Yeah, awkward. Dee really does not want to be noticed by him.

It's not technically a fake name, just a shortening. It wouldn't be out of the imagination to find another girl her age named Dietrich. After all, kids tend to get named after a recently born prince or princess, but the more layers between her and Crown Princess Dietricha Ediltrudis Braun, the less likely she'll be noticed.

If something bad happens, Dee is supposed to be on the front of the force trying to protect the fair-goers. Add in that something's making the hair on the back of her neck stand up and you get a soldier who is ready for poo poo to go bad.

Edit: I'm available everyday but Thursday and one of Monday or Tuesday. Game flakes between those two days. Sprites-wise, I'd probably rather Fire Emblem since I did stuff with those sprites in the past.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 6, 2015

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Giacomo the Elf Beastmaster Hunter

The elf didn't know where he was. One minute he was witness to his captain arguing with the employer about their contract and the next *BAM* right in the middle of nowhere. Finding himself miraculously no worse for wear, he decided to make for the nearest town; thankfully it was still light out enough that he could make it there by nightfall.

Deciding it would be best to put the mercenary life behind him, he decided to provided a cover story that he was Giacomo, your average hunter with a bog standard fantasy owl. Luckily, Windcrest bought it and haven't really looking into it further. Which is cool...

...since his last employer was the Magician.

You have worked for him, yes. But he wasn't your last contract.

See above. There's also the matter that he really haven't looked into what happen to his company. 'Adomorn Silvers' is a killing word as far as he's concerned and the beard he's grown probably won't save him.

Skylock's unusually jumpy. That's reason enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm available any weekday except Wednesday. I'd like to be rendered as a Fire Emblem sprite.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Promise, Tiefling Enchanter

"Sepia Snake Sigil. Gets 'em every time."

Mage Hand, Ghost Sound and Prestidigitation. All spells so basic that even those with the weakest of arcane capabilities can learn them with a little practice at an arcane university. However, the use of such cantrips has been banned across said universities all across the kingdom. And why is that? Because of a pair of enterprising wizards clowned their way through college and, with just three simple cantrips, wreaked havoc through the halls. Promise the Enchanter and Trust the Illusionist, shorter elder and taller younger brothers, respectively. Having caused no actual property damage, they knew just how much they could get away with without facing expulsion, and abused that to its fullest.

But all good times must come to an end. Upon graduation, Trust was offered an audition for the position of the Emperor King's court jester (and later court wizard, if he played his cards right). Promise, assuming they meant to hire both, went along with his brother to the audition. They told him, in no uncertain terms, that the position was to be filled by only one person, and they decided that Trust fit the bill better. Sure enough, he got the position, and while Promise was happy to see his brother able to put their comedy training to good use, he was sad to say goodbye, since while he was a graduate, the older brother was unemployed and without a source of income.

Fast forward a few years. Promise, now a conman and street performer, has yet to hear from his brother ever since his last letter, which went into detail about how he may be in line for Court Wizard. However, he receives an invitation to the Millennial Fair, and the rumor of the Emperor-King's presence makes him hopeful enough to accept the job. Surely he'll be able to find and catch up with his brother, as he would almost certainly be found at the monarch's side.

Why do you feel uneasy around the Emperor-King?
For whatever reason, he's kept my brother either so busy or secretive that we've been unable to chat for several years now. And if he ain't there, I got reason to suspect he made him "disappear."

I can play any day except Monday or Thursday and have no preference for sprite source.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 8, 2015

LavendarG
Mar 15, 2015
Lady Maria Aloysia von Ulfwerener-Starhemberg-Dietrichstein

I say there old sport, drat fine fair you chaps have put on. Lady Maria Aloysia von Ulfwerener-Starhemberg-Dietrichstein at your service, professional shooter, tracker, and all-around huntswoman. I was never much for the life of sitting around at courts and doing all that other posh noble nonsense. No. Give me a crossbow in my hands, my hound at my feet, and a drat fine trophy lurking somewhere out there and fit for my wall.

Of course upkeep at the lodge isn't cheap and trophy hunting doesn't pay the bills the way it used to. Luckily there's always some work out there for someone like me, someone with a bloody fine hand for the crossbow and a stomach for danger. Besides, nobody's better at sniffing out trouble than old Maximilian Leopold Moritz von Ernst-Ulfwerener-Dietrichstein-Mendsdorff, a drat fine hound named after my great-great grandfather.

The family's always had a bit of a tense relationship with the upper echelons of aristocratic society, don't you know. Back in the days when we were the Ulfwerener-Windisch-Dietrichstein-Zedlitz-Mensdorff's, great-great-great-great-great-great grandmother was an adviser to throne and while I don't the peculiarities but there's was a bit of a quarrel between her and the monarch. You know how royals are, they've got long minds for grudges.

I'll have you know this great beauty of a crossbow has been passed down in the family since my great-great-great grandfather Ferdinand Sigimismund von Ernst-Ulfwerener-Dietrichstein-Mendsdorff. drat fine huntsman he was, once shot a great eagle down while blindfolded and drunk. At least, that's what my father always said.

I can play Thursdays or Fridays and would prefer to see a fire emblem sprite.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I am pleased with the current group of Owl Milk, LavenderG, Gharbad the Weak, djw175 and Mighty Dicktron.

Unknow Quantity, I will contact you later if this story doesn't end up being the worst and I go ahead with my encounter balance test.

Applications are closed.... Early!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

:shobon: I was hoping to make a sweet yeti-ish cold sorcerer guy, but you seem to be set! Oh, well. I'll leave a post here in case your game might eventually have room for a sasquatch wearing Hawaiian shorts.

• Locked thread