Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anyone know if I should just quit playing this right away... I'm hoping it picks up soon and I forget why I bought it in the first place. Sorry, no screenie at the mome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm enjoying this a lot. Once you get faster engines and warp drive the game gets a lot better.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Its fun if you like the broadside naval combat stuff but even then it eventually gets old. The equipment you can get later is cool but nothing that's really fundamentally game-changing. you can go with a closerange loadout or a longrange loadout and they feel different from each other, but you have those two options from the start.

i recommend just playing it until you get bored and not trying to stick it out for the end of the story or whatever other reason

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Also join the merchant guild ASAP because they give you really good cargo hull extensions.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Also join the merchant guild ASAP because they give you really good cargo hull extensions.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's telling me the hot tips about playing single player games. I'll let it slide this time but don't do it again to me.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

i killed the police until the pirates started inviting me to stuff. they also have good equipment and a big smuggler cargo thing. i dont know what the police have.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I have to take some points off this because the soundtrack is uhh whatever the kind of nostalgia blues rock thing that's seemingly popular but I hate it. So, there's that so far.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I shan't. That's all I had anyway.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

i killed the police until the pirates started inviting me to stuff. they also have good equipment and a big smuggler cargo thing. i dont know what the police have.

Oh I guess I bought this because I read that you can be the closest thing to a space crust punk or whatever in games except probably Elite Dangerous which I don't feel like getting into right now,.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Wormskull posted:

I have to take some points off this because the soundtrack is uhh whatever the kind of nostalgia blues rock thing that's seemingly popular but I hate it. So, there's that so far.

I enjoy the mix of bad rockabilly crap and weird semi-cartoony art style because it makes this feel like some sort of Starcraft-based space adventure game we never got.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

they included options for plugging in your own songs so you can pick what plays during travel or combat or whatever. thats not an excuse for the default soundtrack if you dont like it, its just a cool feature to include to let people do that.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hmmm. Well for now I'll just disable it and listen to the Jim Ross Report podcast probably, but thanks for the non-gameplay tip, which I do appreciate.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Oh I guess I bought this because I read that you can be the closest thing to a space crust punk or whatever in games except probably Elite Dangerous which I don't feel like getting into right now,.

there's nothing really crust punk about the pirates tbh. theyre just normal space pirate type guys, they like money a lot and do illegal stuff to get the money

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

they included options for plugging in your own songs so you can pick what plays during travel or combat or whatever. thats not an excuse for the default soundtrack if you dont like it, its just a cool feature to include to let people do that.

Does it let you select which songs play during travel and which play during combat

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

this game looked so boring not even having based vinny excitedly talking over the top of it could hold my attention

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I enjoy the mix of bad rockabilly crap and weird semi-cartoony art style because it makes this feel like some sort of Starcraft-based space adventure game we never got.

Well it's just reminding me about the guitar hero live songs I always go onto the Epic Fantasy Metal channel on GHTV until their over, which is another genre I don't like much.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Does it let you select which songs play during travel and which play during combat

yeah thats what i meant. its got different custom soundtrack folders for like, combat or space stations or idle music.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

there's nothing really crust punk about the pirates tbh. theyre just normal space pirate type guys, they like money a lot and do illegal stuff to get the money

It's probably Elite Dangerous that's the one where I can be a space punk then. I don't really know what made me buy this game.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

lesbian baphomet posted:

yeah thats what i meant. its got different custom soundtrack folders for like, combat or space stations or idle music.

!!!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lesbian baphomet posted:

Hmmm epic although I imagine I'll be sick of this long before I bother trying to change the soundtrack.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

The music integration was the selling point for me i love when games do custom soundtracks in a way that its part of the game like the last SSX, gta, this game, idk which else

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This game is good, not incredible, but in a way that the developers deserve more money to make more games

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This is the first game I've played where it was easy to get used to the Steam Controller playing it. Probably because the mouse-like joystick setting is sort of catty wompus... Might try out the gyro controls as well.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Alright now that I kinda get what's going on I'm starting to like it a little.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

This game is good, not incredible, but in a way that the developers deserve more money to make more games

I was expecting it to be that one star system when I bought it. Opening the system map for the first time was insanity.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I tried Elite Dangerous and basically this game seems like a lite version of that.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Elite Dangerous has been patched a lot since i played it so maybe there's more content now, but Rebel Galaxy actually felt like it had a lot more mission variety and especially interaction with factions.

ED is more about good spaceflight/dogfighting than it is about developing reputations and such, and also space trucker trading spreadsheets if you can stand to do that garbage for more than a few seconds

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone said Elite: Dangerous was the poo poo!!! but you should just play the freeware Linux clone or a Windows port of the old Commodore version because it has all the same features minus the graphics and ridiculously touchy FTL controls. Even the combat is exactly the same, somehow. I guess they're going to add planets you can land on and deploy rovers on soon, but there will probably be no reason to do that for a while so why bother.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I always thought capital ship combat was way cooler than fighter combat

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well so far there's an analog between the two in almost every part of the game, just Rebel Galaxy is more streamlined usually. Not saying it's bad or whatever since that also means that even if there's 3x more uhh Granularity or whatever in ED, there's also probably 3x more tedium in the tedious parts.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't want to do the main quest thing in Rebel Galaxy though, it looks assy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

Everyone said Elite: Dangerous was the poo poo!!! but you should just play the freeware Linux clone or a Windows port of the old Commodore version because it has all the same features minus the graphics and ridiculously touchy FTL controls. Even the combat is exactly the same, somehow. I guess they're going to add planets you can land on and deploy rovers on soon, but there will probably be no reason to do that for a while so why bother.

there didn't feel like much of a reason to do much of anything in e:d.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I killed my first ship in ED and I yelled Hell Yeah! which I don't do too often in games so that was epic. I still don't know how I feel about the steam controller though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Are they ever launching this on ps4.

• Locked thread