Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jerry Cotton posted:

All coin-op games suck. They were purposely made to appeal only to dumb-asses.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

games suck. They were purposely made to appeal only to dumb-asses.

Can confirm on both counts. Source: me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

King Vidiot posted:

Why would you buy a TV branded "Changhong"? That's like asking for your apartment to burn down as you lie on the floor in a coma with cheap plastic shrapnel embedded in your face and eyes.

answered your own question, chief

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jerry Cotton posted:

I like how you bolded 27 years as if that were somehow remarkable or specific to Japanese-made CRTs. Then again, I just generally like how.

gently caress yeah i love how

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
life sucks, every day you don't kill yourself you're an idiot

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jerry Cotton posted:

i..............am........................a............................................................................dumb-rear end...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Murphy Brownback posted:

I never really got why people would go out of their way to buy old TVs just because of "input lag". We're talking like fractions of a second, unnoticeable in almost every situation. The rage people get (especially ~competitive~ smash brothers players in my experience) about it is pretty silly - if you beat someone on a LCD tv they'll have a "this tv is BULLSHIT" tantrum, but honestly even in games where timing can be important I never had major problems playing on any kind of TV. Maybe I mess up some moves once in a while but not nearly enough to make me care enough to go buy a massive TV I can't/wouldn't want to really use for much else besides video games.

I don't know which game series would have less "tolerance" for input lag: Street Fighter or Beatmania IIDX.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Three-Phase posted:

I don't know which game series would have less "tolerance" for input lag: Street Fighter or Beatmania IIDX.

It doesn't get much worse than Street Fighter. It's basically impossible to do a "parry" on an LCD. Though I have heard from Guitar Hero fans that the game is unplayable on expert if using an LCD.

I play Super Mario World like a drunk if I try it on my NVidia Shield TV but I think that has something to do with Android having input lag on SNES emulators for some bizarre programming reason. I think Android by default also has bluetooth lag that is supposedly impossible to get rid of (I remember yospos ragging about it a few years ago; probably in response to the OUYA or something). I think it was code left in Android 1.0 that supposedly is impossible for them to fix.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Most of the lag you're experiencing is coming from running it on a lovely Android thing. It's not a surprise at all that Android would have horrible Bluetooth input lag, either.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Just hooked up my NES to my LED TV and can confirm that it looks and plays like loving poo poo.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It doesn't get much worse than Street Fighter. It's basically impossible to do a "parry" on an LCD. Though I have heard from Guitar Hero fans that the game is unplayable on expert if using an LCD.

I play Super Mario World like a drunk if I try it on my NVidia Shield TV but I think that has something to do with Android having input lag on SNES emulators for some bizarre programming reason. I think Android by default also has bluetooth lag that is supposedly impossible to get rid of (I remember yospos ragging about it a few years ago; probably in response to the OUYA or something). I think it was code left in Android 1.0 that supposedly is impossible for them to fix.

Early guitar hero was especially bad because the audio didn't lag nearly as much as the video so if you tried to play the notes when you should have heard them you would fail pretty quick.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

Most of the lag you're experiencing is coming from running it on a lovely Android thing. It's not a surprise at all that Android would have horrible Bluetooth input lag, either.

As far as I know the device I'm running it on is one of, if not the most powerful Android devices out there. I really do think Android should not be using Bluetooth because the lag is gone when I use a wired controller but at that point I might as well just use a real snes

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Why do you keep posting about your garbage nvidia shield when you've already diagnosed that the lag you get has basically nothing to do with the tv?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is the thought process of a hoarder, BTW.

These TVs are bad and trash and always will be bad and trash.

Maybe in like 300 years someone will care about a specific model but we'll all be long dead by then so who cares

I tried to get rid of my old crt TV when my husband and I bought a flat-screen one for like $100 (black friday + associate discounts yeeee), and my dad was like 'no no I'll take it and replace the one in the back of the basement with it' and I said 'ok well will you get rid of the one you're replacing' 'no that one will replace the one in the garage' ?????? 'are you going to get rid of that one' 'no' ?????????

anyway it's still sitting on the basement floor 5 months later

~hoarder parents~

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Drunk Tomato posted:

This is the thought process of a hoarder, BTW.

Maybe in like 300 years someone will care about a specific model but we'll all be long dead by then so who cares

If I was a hoarder I wouldn't have thrown out my old broken tv. I just always want to have a crt tv around for retro gaming purposes is all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

gently caress yeah i love how

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

As in all things, 90% of them are trash with a handful of good ones.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
so i have collection of old CRT tvs,

I got a sony trinitron from the 1980's that i grew up with. Here is the crazy thing it only went up to channel 36

I also remember Al bundy on married with children used the same remote for forever as a prop.

I found that photo on a ebay listing just minutes before someone bought it for 90 dollars

Growing up i had a little emerson in my room. Then it started acting up so i got a cool white round GE tv but that only lasted like 2 years so in early 2001 i got another sony trinitron FLAT SCREEN. I remember it was like 320 dollars and only mono sound. In 2008 my 93 year old aunt took over my room and she loved that little tv said it was the best one in the house and in the evening she would watch those talent shows where people sing.

Some how I ended up with this.

Weight alot.

Wega my friend got it from someone, I made the mistake of admiring it now it sits in my living room unused and un loved.

max4me fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 22, 2016

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Is that a tube Sony XBR or Wega? About 9 years ago I helped a guy move a 34" Sony widescreen tube HDTV and lift it into a custom TV cabinet about 5 feet high. 34" doesnt sound that big these days, but it felt like it was full of lead bricks. My back is still hosed from that.

eats-almonds
Jun 30, 2016
I work at a recycling center and without fail, every time someone brings in an old TV, they tell me "It works great! If you know anyone who could use one, any of the staff, it works real great, it still has the remote." and they look heartbroken as I clip off the power chord in front of their tearful eyes.

Nobody wants your TV
Nobody wants your TV
Nobody wants your TV

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Super Mario World is the only game I have ever had lag problems with using my modded Wii. Every other game is fine but that game is unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I have a 90 pound Samsung that I would like to get rid of. I need to get some of those lifting straps because CRTs are so front heavy.

• Locked thread