Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I recently received an American blu ray player as a gift. However, I live in the UK and need a 240/120 voltage converter. I was given this plug adaptor when I got it. However, I'm fairly sure that if I used that I'd either destroy the player, start a fire or worse. Since I've never used a foreign electrical appliance before I want to make sure I don't screw this up.

Here's the relevant blu ray players specs:

Power Requirements: AC110-120V 50/60Hz
Power Consumption: 10.8W

I've been told by some people that since the blu ray player is the only device I want to convert the voltage for something small like this would be acceptable as the blu ray player has such a low power consumption. However, I'm sceptical as while that converter should be able to handle 10.8W, I''m pretty sure those plug sized converters are mainly used with small electronics and are not suitable for long periods of use.

My guess is that for something I wanted to use for longer than an hour like a blu ray player, I would need a box transformer like this.

My Questions:

-Is my understanding of the type of voltage converter I need correct?
-Does anyone have any recommendation of good voltage converters/brands I should look out for? I'd prefer something that won't have to be replaced regularly over something cheap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakyBeef
Jan 1, 2012
Yes, you are correct, the adapter it came with would destroy it in short order. I'd say go with the second option you posted only because they don't seem to have a smaller version that you could get away with. It doesn't hurt to have a little overkill with electrics, it's going under that will bite you in the rear end.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SneakyBeef posted:

Yes, you are correct, the adapter it came with would destroy it in short order. I'd say go with the second option you posted only because they don't seem to have a smaller version that you could get away with. It doesn't hurt to have a little overkill with electrics, it's going under that will bite you in the rear end.

Ah, glad I didn't just trust it on blind faith then. Nice to know I was right in my assumptions.

Thanks for the help.

• Locked thread