Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I looked in the index and couldn't find a Luther thread. If this is a repeat or I missed a new thread, then I'll go ahead and delete this immediately.

LUTHER

[

Idris Elba stars as DCI John Luther who works for a special police task force in London. He's a brilliant and obsessive inspector who is known for perpetually crossing the line and going to extremes to get his man or find justice for those who've been wronged. His obsessive behavior is a gift and a curse throughout the course of the show and he's endlessly teetering on the edge of violent outbursts and sanity. DCI Luther is generally tasked with apprehending the worst serial killers London has to offer.

The show is extremely dark at times and Idris does a great job at conveying just how broken Luther is. It's absolutely enthralling and beautifully shot.

Seasons 1 through 3 were aired in between 2010 and 2013. The first episode of season 4 aired tonight (12/15/2015). It's a 2 part series with the finale airing a week from now.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1474684/

I'll update the OP further with more background information on the first three seasons as soon as possible.

buddhanc fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Love Luther! The Dungeons & Dragons episode is the best one.

So far, season 4 kind of feels like it's going through the motions. The next episode will probably change that, though. It really started getting good towards the end.

The fridge scenes were probably the best part of the episode. I love that Luther doesn't even bother opening the thing. For all we know, there might still be a bomb or a head in there.

I hope they don't actually expected me to believe that Alice is dead. No matter what her message ends up being, there is no way. She is basically invincible.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I just love how he takes no poo poo from anyone. Punch out the crime boss (I think?) and his son, stick him in the boot, handcuff him to the radiator and glower at him until he gives up. And then just forget about him apparently.

And after watching Evil Dead II for the first time last week, I had the image of some undead monstrosity bursting out of the second fridge. Film and TV people really like their lullabies being sung in creepy fashions.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

And More posted:

Love Luther! The Dungeons & Dragons episode is the best one.

So far, season 4 kind of feels like it's going through the motions. The next episode will probably change that, though. It really started getting good towards the end.

The fridge scenes were probably the best part of the episode. I love that Luther doesn't even bother opening the thing. For all we know, there might still be a bomb or a head in there.

I hope they don't actually expected me to believe that Alice is dead. No matter what her message ends up being, there is no way. She is basically invincible.

It's only a two-parter for series 4, so I think they're trying to fit in alot of stuff in a short amount of time. The search for a killer like this would generally encompass 2 episodes in previous seasons. I just loving love the way he plows through anything in his way and throws caution to the wind.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That gully DnB scene, with the yardy geezer was brilliant

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

That gully DnB scene, with the yardy geezer was brilliant

What does this mean

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you can't understand, you're not english enough to be watching Luther

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

If you can't understand, you're not english enough to be watching Luther

I'm from Texas and I understand 99% of the language in Luther. I think you're speaking gibberish and trying to pass it off as english :pwn:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

buddhanc posted:

I'm from Texas and I try to pass it off as english :pwn:

Legit vocab though blud, innit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sWkAIUpLc

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 17, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm a bit confused, is it just airing in the UK right now, or is it also airing on BBC America? I DVR'd a two-and-a-half-hour "episode" tonight that was listed as new.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

I'm a bit confused, is it just airing in the UK right now, or is it also airing on BBC America? I DVR'd a two-and-a-half-hour "episode" tonight that was listed as new.

It aired as a mini series.

Complete Season 4 episode 1 and 2 spoilers

I found season 4 to be very disappointing. It started strong but the ending was a huge downer. If they were going to dump Alice and undo pretty much all the progress from Season 1 to 3 then they should have just stuck to doing prequels.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Kegslayer posted:

If they were going to dump Alice and undo pretty much all the progress from Season 1 to 3 then they should have just stuck to doing prequels.
Alice was why I watched the show to begin with. If she's been killed off, then I've lost interest in the new series already.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I just started this. Didn't much care for the first episode and I think the murderess chick is kind of annoying.

Second episode was loving bonkers. So many dead cops. Shoulda started with this one I think.

3peat
May 6, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I just started this. Didn't much care for the first episode and I think the murderess chick is kind of annoying.

I think this was my reaction to Alice too after the first episode, but then I learned to love her like everyone else watching the show. So yea, keep going

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Kegslayer posted:

It aired as a mini series.

I found season 4 to be very disappointing. It started strong but the ending was a huge downer. If they were going to dump Alice and undo pretty much all the progress from Season 1 to 3 then they should have just stuck to doing prequels.

Yeah, the ending was really weak. The whole "I'm coming for you" bit felt like they were initially going to do four parts, but Elba didn't have time, so they gracelessly split the season in half. The cannibal killer was apparently too good to pass up, either. It's not very satisfying seeing Luther just walk away from Alice's "killer". (C'mon, am I supposed to believe that?)

It's also already starting to bite them in the rear end that both Justin and Alice are gone. Ygritte is just so bland. I could tell you more about the dead Star Wars cop than about her.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Came here looking for a thread having just remembered this show existed and that I wanted to see it.

I'm part-way through S1 E2 and I'm really hoping Alice gets hit by a Tube train quickly.

e- Episode 3, and this series would flow much better without Psycho Alice trying to impress John.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 24, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Jack Ruby finish to Episode 4 :tviv: :dogbutton:

Everyone needs to make it to episode 4 if they're on the fence before giving up. I was sold before, but even moreso now.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 24, 2015

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

3peat posted:

I think this was my reaction to Alice too after the first episode, but then I learned to love her like everyone else watching the show. So yea, keep going

The Netflix version of Luther has a few minutes cut which includes a great little moment when Alice in episode 1 is being driven back home and seems to be replaying how things went and smiling a very wicked smile.

I'm trying to find what other cuts were made but googling anything with Luther Versions/Cuts in it just brings up religious references.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Tickety Boo, Totally Disco.

Are they doing another "season" or are they going to do the movie which they keep talking about?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a crime series where so many people you'd expect to make it out alive or be rescued wind up dead in the end. It's definitely darker than anything else I've seen, but it's really good stuff.

Enjoying Episode 5 much better than the others so far because it hasn't been interrupted by Alice.

e- Never mind, I see why others said she'd become fun to the story later. This is going to rule.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 5, 2016

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
My main problem with the first few episodes of season 1 was when he'd tell Alice to back off, then return later to tell her his current personal problems and then later on act surprised when she did something extreme. Duh.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Enjoying Episode 5 much better than the others so far because it hasn't been interrupted by Alice.

Mods? Mods?

I really like Alice and a big part of the show inadvertently becomes about her and her relationship with Luther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kegslayer posted:

Mods? Mods?

I really like Alice and a big part of the show inadvertently becomes about her and her relationship with Luther.

Yeah, I took it back when I figured out where they were going with her at the end of that episode. :tviv:

• Locked thread