Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Black Baby Goku posted:

Cool thought I found in games [seriously try and guess the thread first]

The Angry Videogame Nerd Megathread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The Angry Videogame Nerd Megathread.

You cheated

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I always guess the Xbox Sucks Megathread

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I always guess the Xbox Sucks Megathread

I don't since I read all the posts in that thread everyday and lurk it because I'm scared of getting flamed.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Baby Goku posted:

The Low T Gamer

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Black Baby Goku posted:

Mount andblade streets of glasgow mod

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

The Low T Gamer

Lol

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Cool comment I found on piano tutorial video

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ristolaz posted:

Lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

lmao i forgot that existed. the guy who made it got the police at his door telling him to stop development because it encouraged sectarian violence

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmao i forgot that existed. the guy who made it got the police at his door telling him to stop development because it encouraged sectarian violence

Hahaha

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's awesome

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Ristolaz posted:

i cant play piano with boener?!?

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Oh long johnson

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Ristolaz posted:

lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Holy poo poo

Dec 26, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

owns

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ristolaz posted:

lmfao

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

no way

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

good lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Glasgow is the Dark Souls of cities

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CJacobs posted:

My first self-owned car was a stick shift because I am from a poor family and it was a beater, and as I mentioned my driver's ed class did not teach me how to use the drat thing. So I had to learn how it worked myself and while that wasn't that difficult, I'm sure I made people sitting behind me on inclines very frightened of my presence. The first time I got an automatic car I was like "holy poo poo technology is a gift from heaven" and never looked back.

edit: There was also this horrible grinding sound it made sometimes when I shifted gears and I could never ever figure out what it was. It seemed to have no adverse effect on anything but I was prepared for it to just explode on shifting at any moment.

al-azad posted:

I've never driven stick outside of changing gears in my dad's truck when I was 4 but it was pretty much a required feature in 3D racing games so they could have increasingly elaborate stick shifts built into the cabinet. Even the ones that let you choose would give the fastest cars manual. And of course playing a NASCAR or circuit racing game with automatic is heresy.

I would never buy a manual car but you're missing out by not driving manual in video games.

Doc Morbid posted:

Here in Finland, automatics are considered to be for babbys and real men drive stick, so the driving school only had cars with manual transmissions. That's okay, except that the town I lived in at the time consists mostly of hills of varying steepness, ranging from "really steep" to "holy gently caress what the hell is this". Learning to drive stick there was not the most pleasant experience for anyone involved.

I use manual gears in driving sims and wouldn't have it any other way, but if I ever buy a real car again I'd rather get an automatic.

Shibawanko posted:

Say whaaaat??

Pope Guilty posted:

Stick shift? Does your car also have an 8-track stereo and a carburetor?

greatn posted:

Cars don't have carburetors anymore? Hire do they carburete?

Shibawanko posted:

Driving stick feels cool. The reason racing games all have manual transmission is because it's fun to drive that way. I also like to think that having to think about when to shift gears forces you to be more mindful of your speed.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I will never understand the bullshit machismo that comes along with driving stick.

Then again, I'll never understand the bullshit machismo that comes along with cars to begin with.

greatn posted:

Yeah I don't like when people talk about driving being fun of how fast a car can go from 0 to whatever. It makes me think there are not concentrating on actual good driving but treating it like a toy.

I like automatics that have the shifter toggle because you get the benefits of an automatic but you can still do something like using gear braking to reduce wear and tear on your brakes.

The Mattybee posted:

It doesn't necessarily have to be about bullshit machismo. I drive automatic but I'd rather drive stick, and that has nothing to do with me wanting to go fast - it's mostly because I have ADHD and having something to do in the car makes it way easier to concentrate on actually driving. :shobon:

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah that's how I feel about it exactly. For the same reason I like to listen to play games while listening to a lecture or an audiobook.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, I've got pretty bad ADD (no H, hahaha, I'm never hyperactive), and having to worry about switching gears would mean certain death on the roads for me and others.

Pope Guilty posted:

Well there's also the superior gas mileage of perfectly- driven manual transmission cars over automatics from more than what, five years ago?

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, same-ish here. I guess it comes with having learned to drive stick from the get-go, but whenever I drive an automatic car I keep thinking I've missed something and have to keep checking the gauges. Or get really paranoid when parking because I imagine my pedalwork isn't up to speed and I'll suddenly rush into a wall or something.

Libluini posted:

Yeah, that was the first thought in my head too after I saw this discussion. I come from a country where you aren't even allowed to drive without learning driving with a stick first.

The longest time I didn't even knew stick-less transmissions exist, because they only very recently became a thing.

(I think today the laws got a bit mellowed down, so if you learn to drive without a stick, you can still drive, but only with automatic transmissions. Of course I never saw a driving school giving stick-less driving lessons, so the point is still moot. Good for immigrants from the US, I suppose.)

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Which hilarious country are you from?

Pope Guilty posted:

Automatic transmissions were invented in the 20s and have been available widely since at least the 70's.

The_Franz posted:

I'm guessing that Finland is like other european countries where if you take the test in an automatic you get the automatic-only license of shame.

Pope Guilty posted:

So does Europe also use paternosters and disdain those newfangled elevators as being for babies who can't just step off on the floor they want?

CJacobs posted:

Unsurprisingly, this is another instance of how people who aren't from America will take any chance they can possibly get to post "Americans :rolleyes:" no matter how inconsequential and minute

BobbyK posted:

Also another instance of people mistakenly thinking anyone gives a poo poo about their personal preference for something.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Try stairs, that way you can get exercise between hamburgers.

Libluini posted:

No poo poo, but nobody ever told me until I was an adult, because no-one over here in Germany cared.

Hakkesshu posted:

I've driven stick my whole life and a few years my parents bought an automatic and I now feel qualified to say that driving stick sucks rear end by comparison and I want all cars to be automatic forever

Jsor posted:

Whether you drive stick or not, the concept of when to change gears isn't all that complicated, which is what racing games deal with (unless there are some uber-simmy ones I don't know about that come with simulated clutches or something). The car gives you like a billion signals that you should probably change gears. I've always driven an automatic and while I'm not a huge racing game fan, gear shift was never that complex a part of the equation for me. I'm sure there's more subtlety in when to shift than what I do, but the general idea isn't that complicated.

(Also, I believe in real-life racing, they generally use semi-auto transmissions, though looking it up it looks like certain rules and regulations have prevent certain aspects of the "automatic" part from being used, because they could be programmed to give an unfair advantage)

MOAR posted:

Stick is great for the dream roads of the Swiss Alps or Scottish Highlands and such, try driving stick in New York or London.

Cool thread

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is the first time I have seen any of these posts. Thank god.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is the first time I have seen any of these posts. Thank god.

You have the power to stop this. YTMND.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Come hit this poo poo, friend of the family.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Average Bear posted:

Come hit this poo poo, friend of the family.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

somebody send that guy the presidents doing weed meme.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The presidents doing weed meme is now a highly successful Broadway musical that is planning a nationwide tour.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

The presidents doing weed meme is now a highly successful Broadway musical that is planning a nationwide tour.

I can't believe McDonald's is sponsoring all 2,970 shows.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread is an abomination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

sometimes its good find joy from the small things in life

• Locked thread