Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

What is Hurtworld?
Hurtworld is a survival game that focuses on building and crafting items to reach new areas. It bears similarities to games like DayZ and H1Z1, but moreso like Rust. Unlike Rust, however, the graphic style shouldn't completely ruin your FPS rate and make the game unplayable. The game is created by an Australian company called "Bankroll Studios", and the game was put into early access for PC on December 4th, 2015.

Why should I play Hurtworld?
Killin' pubbies. Laughing at them. Plus, it's only 20bux!

I want to play with goons!
Come to the Reticulated Splines discord and see if any goons are playing. A group of us travel to different servers and establish ourselves as the dominant force where we can rule pubbies with an iron fist. Or you can be lame and play by yourself.

Do people get mad at this game?
Oh yeah.

I want to see pubbie tears!
Look no further, friends!
http://www.twitch.tv/calworthingtonsa/v/32012949

:frogsiren:FEATURES:frogsiren:
Base building - Create a stronghold for all your loot and crafting tables, and defend it from encroaching pubbies! Don't let those toolbags get in, or it'll set you back.

Vehicles - Ever wanted to commit vehicular manslaughter, or use your car as a way to climb on top of a base? You're in luck, friend. Hurtworld has all of the above!

Crafting - Just like Rust, Hurtworld features an expansive progression crafting system. In order to enter new, dangerous areas, you will need to construct clothing and higher level tools! These areas are naturally locked, because you will die quickly if you're not properly equipped.

Modding - Also like Rust, many servers are popping up with various mods that completely alter gameplay.

Attuned tools - When you die, you don't necessarily get set back too much - you lose all your resources, but keep all your tools and clothing unless you are infamous.

Karma - In order to weight your choices in the game, when you murder someone (murder everyone) you become infamous. If you're infamous, you have a chance of losing one of your precious tools or clothing when you die!

Tips for new players
Stolen from Reddit

quote:

1.If freezing to death, jumping into the fire so it burns you is the fastest way to prevent hypothermia... you may continue to freeze outside the fire.

2. Most issues involving interacting with objects can be solved by switching perspectives (g key by default)

3. If making a long journey somewhere, make a fire pit. You can place it, heat yourself/cook, then remove it using a construction hammer and replace it again when you need it.
No animal in the game can outrun you, just sprint away if you're low on health.

4. If you spawn on the beach with nothing on a server you've previously played on, disconnect and reconnect to get your stuff back.

5. When making a base, if its a small base put it in the middle of a grid, or if a big base put it in the 4 corners and claim each corner. (You can see the grids when your hammer is out, when you place a stake of ownership you own that grid and people cannot build inside it so you want a no-mans-land outside your base).

6. When you have an established base, you want to run to the desert with dynamite to get all the high level ores (2 blue 2 green and 20 red.. red is easier to find near starting area however), then make a drill and never have to worry about it again.

7. You may find it helpful to remove a foundation in your base and plant owrongs or put a drill down so people can't steal from them. You can sustain yourself indefinitely off of owrongs, plus they are used to make gas for drills and cars or just for burning (gas is super efficient).

8. If you place a locker near a fire with coal in it things will burn inside of it, so use a blast furnace for ores or put your locker far enough away!

9. Not sure if it counts as exploiting, but if you are making a long journey early on you can just take your ownership stake and construction hammer with you, and when you are about to die plant the stake then grab it again with the hammer when you respawn and continue.

10. When killing wildlife, try to open with a headshot. Deer and pigs will die in 1 arrow hit from even a wooden bow if you hit them in the head, so proactively kill them instead of letting them aggro you (they zigzag and are hard to hit once they are attacking).

Links
Official Website
Hurtworld Wiki
Steam Store

Cal Worthington fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
For anyone (like me) who really enjoyed vanilla Rust but wants a more refined experience, this is a good choice.

Building tools function, but are kind of wonky when it comes to lining poo poo up.

Vehicles work well, most of the time.

You don't start with any items, but you can quickly collect enough to craft some basic tools and get started. The "needs" bar is constantly increasing (if it maxes you die) and it tells you how long till you perish if you don't consume any items to otherwise lower it, which is easy to understand the currently well paced. There rad "radtowns" just like in Rust, with radiation and everything.

The PVP system is actually pretty clever, it assigns a kind of "kharma" system to you, so people are more likely to work together, since the major PKers are flagged as such. It makes the game a little bit less of a total deathmatch.

The gear is almost exactly copied from Rust, even when it comes down to the types of available weapons.

TL;DR they seem to have used Rust as a framework, then taken a lot of good ideas from other games. So far so good, but definitely an Alpha.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 27, 2015

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
A highlight from tonight: http://www.twitch.tv/calworthingtonsa/v/32012949

Our neighbor attacked us, so we got our pitchforks and chased him - right into his base! It was an eyesore next to our lovely CASTLE, and he didn't properly protect it, so we decided it was time to help him improve it for the benefit of the server.

How did we get in? Here's what his mistake was: he built the door into his base outside of the purple box that he claimed. That means anything you build outside of a zone you have an ownership claim can be destroyed. We could get into his base, but after we destroyed the door, we couldn't remove anything else until we authorized ourselves onto his ownership claim. When you build, make sure you're within the claim zone!

Cal Worthington fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 27, 2015

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
http://www.twitch.tv/calworthingtonsa/v/32198275

In this video, we exploit firepits - they burn people up when they stand next to it. We set a firepit up outside of a pub's base and light it with the highly flammable mondinium, which reaches temperatures up to thousands of degrees. The pub frantically tries to put out the fire before he melts - and we are waiting outside with our guns.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

VeggieSmuggler posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/calworthingtonsa/v/32198275

In this video, we exploit firepits - they burn people up when they stand next to it. We set a firepit up outside of a pub's base and light it with the highly flammable mondinium, which reaches temperatures up to thousands of degrees. The pub frantically tries to put out the fire before he melts - and we are waiting outside with our guns.

I hope this is working as intended and they never change it.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
I've been waiting week for this thread. I'll get this game Friday and continue shitposting in the meantime

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Even for an early access the game is still very simple, bought to play with some friends and in 2 weeks (we took our time, you could do everything in a couple of days, probably) we were at the endgame (that doesn't exist, unless you count killing everyone in sight with assault weapons).

I'll probably wait a few content updates to try again. All the game mechanics are barely functional, I did have some fun but if you're on the fence I'd wait a bit (unless you have some friends that really want to play it, but even then, I'd probably recommend the group to buy another game)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 1, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ZZZorcerer posted:

Even for an early access the game is still very simple, bought to play with some friends and in 2 weeks (we took our time, you could do everything in a couple of days, probably) we were at the endgame (that doesn't exist, unless you count killing everyone in sight with assault weapons).

I'll probably wait a few content updates to try again. All the game mechanics are barely functional, I did have some fun but if you're on the fence I'd wait a bit (unless you have some friends that really want to play it, but even then, I'd probably recommend the group to buy another game)

Well the endgame in most games like this is usually just shoot mans, anything before that is just an arms race.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Is this thread just viral marketing for your twitch channel or what

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Kimsemus posted:

Well the endgame in most games like this is usually just shoot mans, anything before that is just an arms race.

Killing people, raiding and building pretty bases, all pretty meh right now. Has a lot of potential, I'll try to keep informed of the game state during the year.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tokit posted:

This and the Rust thread. We've become his fan club.

Btw hurtworld is fun, it's also cheap you picky nerds so get it and let's play it.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

Tokit posted:

Caught me.

I use Twitch to capture what we do for later compilation videos; I was lazy and didn't export these to YouTube.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
This game is fun and good.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Just logged off this fun and good game. Any goons doing a thing on a server this weekend? I bet this game is better with more nerds.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I enjoy this game. I figure goons could dominate it like rust.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody still playing this? I just received it as a gift and I've always been interested in trying out one of these online survival games; the closest thing I've played is The Long Dark. I managed to build a shack and cook a steak, but haven't been able to do much else without getting shot.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody still playing this? I just received it as a gift and I've always been interested in trying out one of these online survival games; the closest thing I've played is The Long Dark. I managed to build a shack and cook a steak, but haven't been able to do much else without getting shot.

No we never really got going in it. The game doesn't have a lot of replayability and the updates are few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Taylor Swift posted:

No we never really got going in it. The game doesn't have a lot of replayability and the updates are few and far between.

Which is too bad because it has a certain charm. I've barely touched it so maybe you reach the end of the content quciker than I realize...but I definitely can't play a game like this solo. Too easily outnumbered/too much time checking my back.

• Locked thread