Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Alright goons, back-patting time. Who pulled it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Fuego Fish posted:

1. Write at least two new books for sale. Specifically for sale so this doesn't include any short free fiction that I might put out. If I'm gonna be serious about earning a living from writing, I need to be upping my output and giving people more to buy.
2. On a related note, get better at marketing. If I can sell more of what I've already written, it'll make me that much more confident at writing more of it. It feels kind of disheartening to work on a sequel to a book that hasn't even hit 100 copies sold yet.
3. Lose another 10kg. If I lose more than that, great, but 10kg from where I am now is a respectable weight for someone my height, so I'll be happy to manage that.
4. Play more trad games out in the real world with real people. Be sociable and so forth.
5. Start baking and cooking for fun again. I've been too lax in my eating habits, and it'd be nice to just be able to put together meals without feeling like it's a chore.

1. I did not manage to finish 'em.
2. A bit hard to measure this, so it's a resounding "not really".
3. More like gain another 10kg! Ha ha my diet went to poo poo.
4. Didn't manage this either.
5. Nope!

Wow I am a loving mess. Goddamn you, 2016.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zark the Damned posted:

1. Keep track of what I buy / paint minis wise, and try to ensure the latter is higher. Possibly via some kind of blog.
2. Sort through my old poo poo and figure out what I actually want/need and dispose of/sell the rest.
3. Get back on top of exercising and weight loss.

1. Keeping track of purchase/painting has been successful (via a Google Sheet). Getting painting higher than purchasing less so, though mostly the purchasing has been smaller packs of figures that are pretty characterful rather than tons of plastic (with a couple of exceptions).
2. I got rid of a couple of things but still not had a thorough sort out yet, though I do have next week off so can give it a better shot.
3. Mixed. I lost some weight and have been keeping track of my diet but it hasn't gone as well as I'd have liked.

Overall I'd give it maybe 50% success overall? Definitely something to keep working at.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Don't flake out on any games. I've been slipping on my PbPs, but I'll reconnect after the holiday break
2. Bring these current games to some kind of conclusion as we get to an endpoint
3. Play a game that's not D&D, leaning on the rules-lite side
4. Play a game that's not D&D, leaning on the crunchy side
5. Possibly in conjunction with either 3 or 4, play something that's not magical fantasy
6. Don't play any more games from the pre-release rulesets of kickstarted projects. Delta Green and Blades in the Dark will be cool and good once they finally come out, but wait until they finally come out

1. My 2016 PbP's still died, and I had to back out of my AD&D campaign mid-stream when the wedding prep starting catching up to me, but ...

2. ... I got to bring my 3rd Edition and 4th Edition games to a satisfying conclusion!

3, 4 and 5:

Thank you to ScaryJen, Covok and Libertad! for introducing me to Vampire the Masquerade and Tenra Bansho Zero! Perhaps this still isn't hitting the "crunchy not-D&D" point all that well, but definitely VtM isn't magical fantasy, and they're on the light side.

6. Haha oops I still fell flat on this because one of the few non-D&D games I ran was Delta Green.

All in all I'd say I hit about half my goals?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Er, well...looks like I forgot to make a resolution this past year? I might as well evaluate things by my failed resolutions from 2015, then.
-Still no Fate hacks, though if anyone in the group runs on in the future it will definitely be me because the previous two GMs hadn't quite gotten it. But I did at least run a comedic game of Fantasy Age, which was similar in concept as a Loose-Run Game for the Party to Run Amok In. :shrug:
-No "real job" yet, but I have finally finished with my degree and am looking for a career at this point.
-Still haven't learned to whistle.
-No Metroid Prime LP, but I ended up doing something different.

So at least in terms of the previous year's goals, the general sentiment is that I fulfilled the spirit of the list but not quite the letter.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

TG:
Play or run more PbtA games in person. Specifically, complete at least one >4 session adventure in both Inverse World and Apocaplypse World.
Complete a playthorugh of Pandemic Legacy.
Get off my rear end and participate in a PbP on these forums.

Non TG:
Get fitness back to the same levels as last April. Lift more weights and do lots of jiu jitsu.

Hahaha, nope on all counts! 2016 has been a poo poo year.

I did get to run some Inverse World online and it was great. Played two Dungeon World one-offs. Everyone I game with has ended up with conflicting schedules this year. Or moved away. Or has new kids.

We're about halfway through Pamdemic Legacy. See above. Conflicting schedules.

Didn't do any pbp here. Maybe this year. Hopefully this year.

Injured a shoulder, a knee, and a foot at various points. Got pretty sick a couple of times too. So didn't lift heavy weights and didn't get to do much jiu jitsu. On the other hand, I did acquire an awesome dog who likes very long walks, so that's been at least keeping me moving.

Pictured: Karl the dog, one of the few unequivocally good things to happen to me this year.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

1. I did not manage to finish 'em.
2. A bit hard to measure this, so it's a resounding "not really".
3. More like gain another 10kg! Ha ha my diet went to poo poo.
4. Didn't manage this either.
5. Nope!

Wow I am a loving mess. Goddamn you, 2016.

if you're having trouble with 3 and 5, may I recommend eating less loose beef?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

1. Finish my current RPG project (working title New Game Plus) to a playtest-ready level.
  2. Start a PbP game.
  3. Complete Rifts F&Fs to the end of the CJ Carella era (Juicer Uprising).

Work actually goes on my RPG project, but it's not playtest-ready. But it's pretty close; the basic rules are about 90% complete, and I just need to finish the basics of character creation, add some more enemies and hazards, make some sample characters, and it'll be ready to test. I'm not as far along as I'd like to be but I'm pretty satisfied with my progress. That working title has to change, though.

I did start a PbP game and it's ongoing.

Circumstances kept me from fulfilling the last one but I've actually written F&F writeups for Rifts books beyond CJ Carella's material and then some, so I've done more work than I held myself to... it's just not posted yet. But it exists. Honest.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Cascade Jones posted:

Games

1. Post more/at all in TG. Specifically, post (and complete!) a review for F&F.
2. Get out of the fantasy desert and play some drat SF RPGs. No more Pathfinder!
3. Play more wargames/minis games/card games. Expand my horizons a bit.

Other

1. Get back on track with studying Japanese.
2. Read 75 books in a year. I did just under 50 (it'll be fifty if I get Cat's Cradle done by tomorrow), so it's not too crazy.
3. Improve my cooking. My wife is probably getting tired of my inability to plan a meal that includes a side dish.

Games:

1. I posted more! Like maybe 10 or 15 times, so not as much as I wanted. And I didn't post at all in F&F, so that's half credit at most.
2. I stopped playing Pathfinder! Oh, and I'm running a monthly and a weekly group in Mongoose Traveller 2E. Feeling good on this one.
3. I got back into Battletech, Alpha Strike in particular, and got into the Firefly board game. Nailed it!

Other:

1 and 2. I've got 50 books again (barely) and I forgot about refreshing Japanese again, so in this case:

3. According to my wife my meal planning and cooking have improved. Most happy about this!

Not too shabby. Three and a half out of six!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

potatocubed posted:

I did pretty well last year! So I'll set the same target again:

1. Complete three pet projects in 2016.

I managed it in 2015 with a newborn, so I should be able to do it again this coming year.

E: Alright, screw it, let's expand the list:

2. Participate in the Living Arrows internet... thing... where you take a picture of your kid every week for a year.

3. Get back on the weightlifting train.

4. Write something and enter it for IFComp 2016.

1. I have completed... one project this year. Turns out it's way harder to get things done with a toddler than a newborn.

2. Nope. I have a great many photos of Little Miss, but most of them were taken by my parents.

3. Got back on. Fell off again.

4. Nope. Although it's looking good for the Spring Thing in April.

So that's a big zero on 2016 resolutions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

1# GM Exalted

2# Become mod and gas the GW death watch thread that is the tg version of the xbone thread

Exalted game got killed after 7 months and a nervous breakdown.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Sion posted:

1 - Continue to drink less booze! 2013 was a real hallmark year for this! Since then the waterline has dropped which is both a good and bad thing.
2 - Some kind of crazy pen and paper thing in real life
3 - Run a goddamned Megagame in Scotland.

Yes to all three. I ain't sobre but I'm certainly more stable than I once was. Played a pen and paper game for a while and want to do more of it. Helped run another goddamned megagame in Scotland.

Good jobbe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

thespaceinvader posted:

Lol, no you won't.

For my part, mine are simple:

Do more cool things
Be nicer to myself

I could elaborate, but I want to keep things simple this year.

Pretty much pulled it off. The benefits of low expectations :D

In more detail: did a bunch of x wing tournaments, had fun. Cosplayed at a con. Got a new job. Painted and modelled a bunch of stuff. Had a bit of a miserable start to the year but things have perked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Davin Valkri posted:

1) ACTUALLY RUN A GAME THIS YEAR
2) Apply for, take, and pass the PE exam
3) Prove that I'm capable of taking up a new hobby on my own by finishing and wearing that cosplay I have half-assembled
4) Actually be a better person in real life

1) Failure
2) Pass!
3) Also pass!
4) Unclear.

So...50-67.5 percent? Not so good.

• Locked thread