Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I just throw up a Bob Ross video and not think about it.

Never seen one of his completed paintings. Well, except for the thumbnail on the video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Acealthebes posted:

This is another good point.

As a medical resident I cannot emphasize enough about how BiPAP changes peoples lives. If you even think you may have obstructive sleep apnea (does your partner report your snoring), go get tested.

My patients tell me they have new lives after they start on BiPAP after being diagnosed with OSA

I dunno about no BiPAP but as a CPAP user I certify that this post is 100% non hyperbolic

It is 1000% absolutely loving worth getting a polysomnogram if you can, if you snore, if you sleep like crap fairly regularly, or even sort of regularly, get checked

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Does just snoring really mean it's likely you have sleep apnea?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I'm assuming it's at least a symptom that makes it worth checking just in case.

Oh right I'm the OP aren't I? Thanks for all the continued advice, I'm a bit surprised this thread still lives. I'm fairly certain I don't snore and once I'm asleep I sleep relatively well. Just a matter of getting there. :v: I'm sleeping better in general, really, but I may as well leave this thread open for general discussion of sleep advice.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Yes. Get checked

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I snore, got tested, no apnea.

what i DO have is a deviated septum with enlarged turbinates and possible long term sinus infection. this makes breathing while sleeping difficult (and sometimes regular breathing difficult too) so I end up snoring and drooling.

What helps until I get my septum straightened has been sleeping on a higher/firmer/better quality pillow (or two pillows if in a hotel) and avoiding back/stomach sleeping.

the rare occasion I get a good nights sleep, I am 100 times more alert, happier, more active. What is odd is that the first time I sleep in a new place I usually dont snore.

Its still rare that I can get 8hrs and wake up and feel fresh. usually I could sleep for 10+ and still feel like death in the morning. Sometimes if I sleep 5hrs I do alright. but most of the time I wake up tired.

Hopefully the surgery fixes that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
One piece of sleep advice I have that few people ever take is to listen to audiobooks. They're even better than white noise. Find something you enjoy enough to listen to over and over again, or a podcast that has many episodes. Obviously avoid anything that will be exciting or disturbing, and make sure that it will turn off automatically within 30-60 minutes. Turn it on when you go to bed, and the stories will distract your mind from racing thoughts, while the imagery will soon lead to dreams and sleep. Many people think that they will be kept awake by the audio, but I find that listening to audiobooks (and particularly re-listening to a book/podcast that I already have listened to) actually ends up putting me to sleep very quickly (within 5-10 minutes).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, just don't turn them up too loud, or get too engrossed. I've spent an entire night listenign to an audiobook just like I've done when i got hooked on a novel I was reading.

If you really wanna go to sleep stick to non-fiction, and probabyl alot of non-history as well. I've got a book on sustainability in built environments that can knock me out at 11am after a pot of coffee - I can only hear the author :fap: about the 60s and how their family's home is ever-so-sustainable. Unfortunately it's a textbook so I am gonna be quizezed on the content.. I wish one of the multi-choice answers could be :awesome: :fap: :420: because that's pretty much the whole loving thing in a nutshell.

Something like The March of the Ten Thousand by Xenophon is pretty good sleepy-time though, or books you've already read before so you don't get *too* interested in them. I recommend The Black Count although if you've never come across hte material befoer it may accidentally become riveting and keep you awake all night.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

As a rule, do drugs like Benadryl and Unisom actually improve sleep in and of themselves or just help with falling asleep in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ciaphas posted:

As a rule, do drugs like Benadryl and Unisom actually improve sleep in and of themselves or just help with falling asleep in the first place?
In my experience it depends entirely on personal chemistry. I regularly get amped up and jittery off on nyquil but dayquil knocks me out like a light if I stop for a few minutes and close my eyes. They're also really hard on your liver/kidneys. If you're the kind of person who gets amped up after one beer, or who wants to get out on the dance floor after one vicodein, yeah, expect the opposite (or no noticeable) effect from benadryl from what the side-effects claim.

I've never taken actual prescription sleeping aids but almost every time I go to the store and read the side effects, I can translate "drowsiness" to "gets woke the gently caress up and kinda crazy" and vice-versa. I'd never try to take benadryl as a sleeping aid, for me it's basically low-grade meth.

• Locked thread