Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Who saw Passengers? How bad was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a51975/welcome-to-hollyweed/?src=socialflowFB

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will say that if you told me going into 2016 that the new Star Trek movie would have a plot revolving around things from Enterprise I never would have believed it.

The film was better than I expected but it was terrible writing that you fail to explain the villain's backstory until maybe 5 minutes before the final confrontation.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 1, 2017

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Shane they didn't just knock down the D.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will say that if you told me going into 2016 that the new Star Trek movie would have a plot revolving around things from Enterprise I never would have believed it.

The film was better than I expected but it was terrible writing that you fail to explain the villain's backstory until maybe 5 minutes before the final confrontation.

Maybe you should save the time from watching Nu Trek and just go feed birds at a local pond

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but it's far from essential viewing and it has some glaring issues.

Like why is Jennifer Lawrence earning a bigger paycheck when she has a smaller role than Chris Pratt. Have you no shame, Hollywood?! :colbert:

On a more serious note, I am curious how much money Andy Garcia got for his short appearance. It probably is a fantastic money:second ratio.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 1, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dunno why you're so surprised, they already did it with Into Darkness.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The most amazing thing is that it's the second time that's happened.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought into darkness just happened to have a villain with the exact same actor and motivation as enterprise.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

First half is alright. They set things up in a way that COULD have led to an interesting final act and conclusion.

Then they decide 'NOPE GOTTA HAVE A TYPICAL HOLLYWOOD ENDING' and throw all that out the window.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I thought Passengers could have been interesting if it turned out to be a thriller where Chris Pratt's character was a psychopath who keeps waking women up, getting bored of them, then killing them and jettisoning their corpses. I kind of just want to see Pratt play a villain. Something other than his usual affable charming doofus schtick.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dexie posted:

First half is alright. They set things up in a way that COULD have led to an interesting final act and conclusion.

Then they decide 'NOPE GOTTA HAVE A TYPICAL HOLLYWOOD ENDING' and throw all that out the window.

Did you see what the original screenplay ending was

It was terrible but would've been a gutsy kind of abjectly terrible

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Well 2016 gave us deadpool and arrival and the green room so it wasn't all bad but jeez the rest of it.horror still seems to be the most consistent genre in terms of quality.

Consistently mediocre doesn't mean much.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Did you see what the original screenplay ending was

It was terrible but would've been a gutsy kind of abjectly terrible

Being gutsy doesn't make terrible any easier to watch

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

got any sevens posted:

Consistently mediocre doesn't mean much.

I dunno man. Some of the best films of the year were horror. This is true in most years since horror is the best genre.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 1, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

FreudianSlippers posted:

I dunno man. Some of the best films of the year were horror. This is true in most years since horror is the best genre.

I thought the original screenplay was them accidentally killing everyone and then using artificial insemination to repopulate

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So a weird humor trend I've noticed popping up in several movies recently is that not only have fart jokes come back with a vengeance, but one type of fart joke in particular has become a reoccurring thing. A character will say something intense or menacing, the room will go quiet and then someone will fart and start apologizing for being a nervous farter. Both Sing and Office Christmas Party do this, off the top of my head, even game of thrones did it earlier this year. What the hell is going on with the farting?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So a weird humor trend I've noticed popping up in several movies recently is that not only have fart jokes come back with a vengeance, but one type of fart joke in particular has become a reoccurring thing. A character will say something intense or menacing, the room will go quiet and then someone will fart and start apologizing for being a nervous farter. Both Sing and Office Christmas Party do this, off the top of my head, even game of thrones did it earlier this year. What the hell is going on with the farting?

I think GoT did it because Maester Pycell was scared as hell and was going to die.

If you laugh you're laughing at a dead character, which is fine, he was poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Ao1ltSy64

I'm not going to watch the other movies you've mentioned so I have no opinion on them or the "trend"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nuebot posted:

Because poop is funny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

New year, new thread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803762

• Locked thread