Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Long post, but I had a really interesting day on Friday, January 1st 2016.

My 3 Sons: no, not the TV show. A trio. They blend funk, jazz, and rock in a way that no other band does. If you're from the Raleigh, NC area and you're an old; you probably know these guys. That's because the guitarist/composer (Pete Petty) was the general manager of what was Raleigh's premier music store (back before Mars, Sam Ash, and Guitar Center shut them all down in the 90's).
The drummer (Kenny Soule) and bassist (Bobby Patterson) have long histories in the Raleigh music scene. If you have heard of Dag, then you know Kenny and Bobby already.

Most of their public stuff is on Facebook, which I don't use so the links may be bad:

https://www.facebook.com/164033180303674/videos/1096753490364967/?video_source=pages_finch_main_video
http://www.my3sonstrio.com/
http://www.my3sonstrio.com/#!who_we_are/c139r

I was just a teen, a wanna-be guitarist, when I met Pete at his store, Audio Light & Musical in Raleigh. My Dad spent every Saturday at the music store with Pete and his crew. They got along. My Dad is a Chet Atkins-style chord/melody guitarist. Pete's Pete. I'm an SRV/EVH/Satriani/Vai/Robben Ford kinda player.

AL&M was based in Norfolk, VA. Pete left Raleigh early in the 90's and ran the VA store. Now he's back in Raleigh. His band re-formed in about 2010.

That store was the place to go in the Raleigh area because they had the hottest, newest gear. They had the deals with the big guitar, amps, drums, bass, and keyboards/electronics companies in the 80's. If you wanted to see something new and amazing, that's where you went.

Now, if you know the boom of the music scene in Raleigh/Chapel Hill, NC; then you know who John Custer is. When I first heard his name, I was in High School and he was a guitar instructor. My best friend from my High School took guitar lessons from Custer.
Later, he was was the A&R guy for Sony/Columbia Records, and eventually the producer behind bands like Cry of Love, Corrosion of Conformity, and Dag (among others). I sold one of my Marshall amplifiers to Brian Dennis, the guitarist from Dag. It's probably on the album. Maybe not.

My friend's following of John Custer on Facebook (I avoid Facebook) was how I found out that My 3 Sons had re-formed and had a CD Release Tour (music produced by... John Custer) that included Charlotte. I was there, front-and-center. I was allowed by Pete to take video and pictures, under the promise that no video would get online (none of my HDV has or will). The video is carefully guarded but I just found out that a copy of the BluRay I made just for Pete changed hands from my Dad to Pete on Friday, January 1st, 2016. I am loving elated (it's pretty good).

These are the pics I kept from the show at The Double Door Inn in Charlotte, 11/04/2015: http://imgur.com/a/x3fTG

I printed out an 8.5"x11" picture of their poster and they each signed it for me (and a buddy of mine and my Dad, too):

Pete is no "Blues-Dad." He has roots in Jeff Beck but you can barely tell. He's more funk and jazz, I'd swear there's Eric Johnson in there, too.

Here's a better picture of Pete holding up the BluRay I made of their show at The Double Door Inn, with Dad's home-built Telecaster on his lap (Dad gave him the Tele as a gift, because they worked together on picking out the parts):

Here's my Dad, with Pete (on the right) and Pete's friend on the left:

I don't know if this means anything to anyone, but Pete plays a John Suhr custom Strat-style with V70 pickups. He has a Dumble Overdrive Special stack and a Three Monkeys combo on stage.

Talk about tone.
Dumble Overdrive Special (Good luck getting one of these, unless you have word-of-mouth and $30k sitting around):

Three Monkeys combo:

The pair:

Pete's pedalboard (left):

The fascinating piece is below, bottom left: the E.W.S. Modified ARION SCH-Z Stereo Chorus, which sounds like a cross between a Univibe and a Leslie.

and right:

Anyway, I talked to Pete at the show at the Double Door Inn in Charlotte on November 4th, 2015. They're coming back in February. He asked me if my Dad still lived in the same place. I said, "Yeah." Today, Pete and a friend of his visited my Dad; so I know he has the Bluray I made and all the pictures I took in November. I'm elated.

Pete signed this guitar:

(front)

(back)

If none of this means anything to you, that's ok. I hope you'll check out and enjoy My 3 Sons' music. It's fantastic. Me, I am thrilled because the guitarist got my disc, pictures, and a personal note. All hand-delivered by my own Dad. That's pretty drat cool.

Have you heard of My 3 Sons?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
No drama, please?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 8, 2016

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum
Finally saw these guys some time last year, or maybe late 2014 (?) in Greensboro. Talked to Pete a bit about Oz Noy, because that dude is extremely my poo poo.

Used to go see Dag all the time, I'm familiar with Custer and others from that era/scene back in the day.

The AL&M relation is a nice surprise. I got my first Strat (62 re-issue) there in the late 80s. Still have it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Nice to meet you. My first gear all came from AL&M in Raleigh.

I'll be at the show on 2/26 and I think Pete will allow me to record more video. We'll see.

Cheers!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is that Newt Gingritch on the left in that picture?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

He has a Dumble Overdrive Special stack and a Three Monkeys combo on stage.

Talk about tone.
Dumble Overdrive Special (Good luck getting one of these, unless you have word-of-mouth and $30k sitting around):

Oh you can gently caress right off.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Why bother?

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 8, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Seriously though, who's the other guy in the picture? Does he work at a different guitar store?

Edit: that sounded dickey I guess. Genuinely curious!

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 8, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This is the dadliest band on the planet.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is the dadliest band on the planet.
Dads can't play like that. Are they older men? Sure they are. Is their music Dadly? I think not. (My Dad's music is UBER-Dadly, but he's 76 and can't help it; but he's also not in the band.)

BigFactory posted:

Seriously though, who's the other guy in the picture? Does he work at a different guitar store?

Edit: that sounded dickey I guess. Genuinely curious!
Tell me which picture. I thought I linked enough info to answer any questions.

If you mean the guy with my Dad and Pete, he's not in the band, either.

This was posted before but some people need help: https://www.facebook.com/My-3-Sons-Trio-164033180303674/

https://www.facebook.com/164033180303674/videos/1096753490364967/

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 8, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Dads can't play like that. Are they older men? Sure they are. Is their music Dadly? I think not. (My Dad's music is UBER-Dadly, but he's 76 and can't help it; but he's also not in the band.)

Tell me which picture. I thought I linked enough info to answer any questions.

If you mean the guy with my Dad and Pete, he's not in the band, either.

This was posted before but some people need help: https://www.facebook.com/My-3-Sons-Trio-164033180303674/

https://www.facebook.com/164033180303674/videos/1096753490364967/

The guy in the picture with your dad who looks like newt Gingrich who you think we should have heard of.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

The guy in the picture with your dad who looks like newt Gingrich who you think we should have heard of.
It's really unfair of you to say he looks like the Gingrich, unless your eyes don't work. Pete is the only guy in that picture who is a public figure with an intentional online presence.
That's why I won't identify him by name on the SomethingAwful Forums or elsewhere, even though I think some people ought to know whom he is.

That Gingrich insult's a low blow. This isn't GBS.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's really unfair of you to say he looks like the Gingrich, unless your eyes don't work. Pete is the only guy in that picture who is a public figure with an intentional online presence.
That's why I won't identify him by name on the SomethingAwful Forums or elsewhere, even though I think some people ought to know whom he is.

What? You said it was someone we should have heard of? Is it you?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

What? You said it was someone we should have heard of? Is it you?
Nope. I changed it to just "Pete's friend" and blurred him out. Let's leave it at that, ok? Deal?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nope. I changed it to just "Pete's friend" and blurred him out. Let's leave it at that, ok? Deal?

I was asking because I was interested in your thread you weirdo. You made it sound like it was a famous guy.

The music store near where I grew up was owned by Mark The Animal Mendoza from Twisted Sister.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

For real. He looks more like Tom DeLay than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Instead of discussing the merits of the band or its music SA posters come in to insult people based on their appearance and everything old is new again.
That's what I get for wanting to discuss a band's music in the appropriate forum.

• Locked thread