Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I like snowshoeing. Some reasons why it is fun:

1. You get to trample as many fragile alpine meadows you want. Take that, meadow restoration area.
2. Forest roads are pretty scenic when they're buried in snow and you can pretend you're just walking through a clearing in the woods.
3. If you've been snowshoeing more than twice, you are probably the most experienced person on the mountain.
4. Animal tracks count as wildlife sightings, right?
5. The first time I ever went snowshoeing, I stumbled upon the ski resort's cache of explosives right in the middle of the marked snowshoeing area.

Do you like snowshoeing or are you that rear end in a top hat who keeps postholing in the snowshoe trails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Skis > snowshoes

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This is a snowshoe thread where we talk about liking snowshoeing. If you like skiing go start a ski thread.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Aw don't be such a stickler ranger, we were just playing.

I am genuinely interested in when snowshoes are superior to skis. They are cheaper and easier to use, but what else? Easier to carry through brush I suppose.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Epitope posted:

Aw don't be such a stickler ranger, we were just playing.

I am genuinely interested in when snowshoes are superior to skis. They are cheaper and easier to use, but what else? Easier to carry through brush I suppose.

Here are some things snowshoes have over skis:

• Skis are hilariously awkward in dense forest, and increase risk of falling into a tree well.
• Snowshoes usually have crampon points and can go up any slope, until you need actual crampons.
• Skis generally require special boots. Not normally a problem, but some people (like me) are extremely averse to heavy footwear.
• Skis are complicated: there are a million variations and getting it wrong can mean crappy travel. Sometimes snow conditions change within a trip and this isn't something you can deal with via planning your ski setup.

Make a ski thread and we'll talk about why snowshoes suck :ins:

There are also these "skishoes" I'm experimenting with made by Altai, note that it straps to a normal shoe:

They're really short and wide, not intended for downhill. I'm not sure if I like them, but I haven't given them much a chance. Snowshoe-like and supposedly better on steep slopes or in dense forest, but on a recent trip I wish I had snowshoes.

Until it was time to go back down :cheeky:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Snowshoes are better in rough terrain with a lot of climbing. We have plenty of that in Western Washington. I'd probably take up skiing instead if I lived further east.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

With AT and split board setups snow shoes are basically worthless. They are a lot cheaper but that is the only advantage. They are slower, harder to break trail with, make you walk awkwardly.

With skis or a split board you just throw skins on and climb away. Add crampons if you need them.

Some people like snowshoeing though. So there is that. Personally I like to be able to get to my destination faster and ski out which is much faster.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

XC skis for my daily constitutional along the snowmobile trail.

Snowshoes for bumming around random places. And they are far more relaxing.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Snowshoeing is a horrible uncomfortable awkward pain in the rear end that is unfortunately the best means of travel in a small number of circumstances (moving on foot, 6+ inches of fresh snow, steep terrain). My favorite moment of a snowshoe trip is when I take them off. Most people I see using snowshoes are on packed trails where they could get around faster, easier, with equal trail impact using microspikes.

I don't know anyone who has used snowshoes more than half a dozen times who enjoys them.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

turevidar posted:

Snowshoeing is a horrible uncomfortable awkward pain in the rear end that is unfortunately the best means of travel in a small number of circumstances (moving on foot, 6+ inches of fresh snow, steep terrain). My favorite moment of a snowshoe trip is when I take them off. Most people I see using snowshoes are on packed trails where they could get around faster, easier, with equal trail impact using microspikes.

I don't know anyone who has used snowshoes more than half a dozen times who enjoys them.

I know they definitely have a purpose in some situations but I'm with you on most of this, people do it because it looks fun or seems beneficial, one of my favorite local nature centers and hiking spots has snowshoe rentals and I've never seen anyone do it who wasn't slowed down 80 percent, tired as gently caress tripping over and they charge by the hour so the first timers really regret it the most.

Those short wide skis posted seem like they'd do a lot of the same things and slip off pretty easily when you need your boots more.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Les Stroud likes snowshoes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxRZ5paeKNI

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Setting up a tent and hauling firewood on xc skis was a nightmare in Yellowstone, I really wish I'd had snowshoes instead

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

turevidar posted:

Hello.

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
Why do they call it showshoeing? Why not just call it walking :confused:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have msr snowshoes but also I am fat so I have the extensions to give me more flotation

Also there is no snow

But I really like snowshoeing :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My snowshoes are made by tubbs, who is also my electronic spirit animal

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

lavaca posted:

Snowshoes are better in rough terrain with a lot of climbing. We have plenty of that in Western Washington. I'd probably take up skiing instead if I lived further east.

We get alot of snow when it snows in the mtns in WA.

Snow shoeing is fun for n-one, but it gets you up the mountain when there is 20"+ of new powder. Try postholing for even 800 meters without them.

If it's flat ski, if it's got hills you are snow shoeing your rear end up the hill.

Also snowshoe rigging tips? I tend to purposefully rig myself extreme outward facing so I can half jog across the snow without trippuing over myself, less contact the better you know

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BlueBlazer posted:

If it's flat ski, if it's got hills you are snow shoeing your rear end up the hill.

I don't really know what this means but you use climbing skins to ski uphill.

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

spwrozek posted:

I don't really know what this means but you use climbing skins to ski uphill.

Won't work on anything steep. For example, any hill in the pacific NW.

Ok I'll just come out and say it. I think snowshoes are awesome.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What's the cheapest snowshoe that is worth a damm? I want to mess around with them but would realistically only get to use them like once or twice a year.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Tubbs and atlas make some cheaper farting around shoes. More expensive shoes are used for more harsh terrain and have features to help ascend/decend

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Skins totally work on PNW-type inclines, I spent many years on snowshoes, then switched to skiing and am much happier for it. With the right setup, even thick brush/forest isn't a problem.

But this is the snowshoe thread, and I really like the MSR Denalis, they are the AK of snowshoes.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Skis don't have televators

Televators 4 lyfe

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Save me jeebus posted:

Skis don't have televators

Televators 4 lyfe

That's the heal riser bar thing? I have news for you ...they do.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'm sorry for making it a competition.

I have heard there are snowshoes for running. What's up with that?

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

What's the cheapest snowshoe that is worth a damm? I want to mess around with them but would realistically only get to use them like once or twice a year.

Buy a pair of $250 MSR or Tubbs snowshoes for $80 from someone who bought them after reading in the Huffington Post that snowshoeing burns a lot of calories. Don't worry, they'll only have been used once ("I didn't realize burning 600 calories an hour would actually be so strenuous!").

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

bongwizzard posted:

Depending on where you're at, renting. Here in Portland, I paid like $10-15 for the aforementioned badass MSRs for a day. It's a lot for a day, but I'm in the same boat where I don't go very often so it would take several years to make purchasing shoes pay for themselves.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Epitope posted:

Ok, I'm sorry for making it a competition.

I have heard there are snowshoes for running. What's up with that?

I've jogged through the forest in snowshoes, and it was a good time. I'll go slow when there's views.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Epitope posted:

That's the heal riser bar thing? I have news for you ...they do.

Dang.

Oh well! Still love snowshoeing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

meselfs posted:

Won't work on anything steep. For example, any hill in the pacific NW.

Ok I'll just come out and say it. I think snowshoes are awesome.

Yeah... You just like going slow in snowshoes. It is OK.

You can basically climb anything with skis and skins. Heel risers make it even easier but you should use the terrain to your advantage and make the climbing easier.

I kind of like all of you who love snowshoes. I haven't used my snowshoes in 5 years. Keep up the defense!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

spwrozek posted:

Yeah... You just like going slow in snowshoes. It is OK.

You can basically climb anything with skis and skins. Heel risers make it even easier but you should use the terrain to your advantage and make the climbing easier.

I kind of like all of you who love snowshoes. I haven't used my snowshoes in 5 years. Keep up the defense!

I don't like being slow, but the manual labor has its place. I also like to bike/bus to the mountain instead of driving there :)

I recently cut short a two day backcountry trip in part because of lack of snowshoes. The deep powder snow forest road approach on skis was awesome, but as soon as I set foot (err, ski) in the dense, steep forest I was hopeless. Some of it was lots of fun, but whenever it was too steep or dense the skis were a real pain. These are really short, wide skis that are supposed to be snowshoe replacement with big, draggy skins underneath.

Subalpine forests especially; lots of small bent trees huddled together on steep slopes.

Every tool has its place :).

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Snowshoes are good for places and times where skis are overkill, the skiing sucks, or skis just aren't worth taking for whatever reason. They are also good for places where skis can't go, when conditions which are unskiable, or when you just want to go for a walk in the snowy woods with some dirty casuals.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

lavaca posted:

Buy a pair of $250 MSR or Tubbs snowshoes for $80 from someone who bought them after reading in the Huffington Post that snowshoeing burns a lot of calories. Don't worry, they'll only have been used once ("I didn't realize burning 600 calories an hour would actually be so strenuous!").

Do this except with all your gear. Rich bored people are good at over researching and spending on their gear for a single weekend backback trip.

REI garage sales are also your friend, picked up a pair of Scarpa boots for 60$ last weekend.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Go start a loving ski thread you ski nerds

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
My experiences with Redfeather snowshoes are entirely negative.

I've made snowshoes, using both fancy bent and stringed branches, and the age old "bundle sticks and strap to feet" technique. The stick bundles are definitely the superior effort to reward ratio. Cam straps are always valuable.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

MSR makes good snowshoes. Buy the ones with heel riser bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I went snowshoeing today! I hadn't really planned to, but the Conservation Area I went to had both more snow and fewer recent visitors than I was expecting, so the trails were in good shape for my snowshoes. That, and walking around on the frozen lake. I had a great time.

Skis would have been just as appropriate where I was today, and there were a few tracks around from other people on skis. But, my snowshoes were in the back of my truck because I can't be arsed to bring them inside my apartment. Skis would be harder to just toss in and forget about. Plus, I like to carry my camera in my hand and ski poles would get in the way.

• Locked thread