Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
power botton
Nov 2, 2011

When sites like Google Code, BitBucket, and GitHub became a reality, learning to code got dramatically easier for me. I learn best by seeing something work, and then reverse engineering it. It’s actually the only way I learn with any efficiency.

Sites like Yummly have quickly become my GitHub for cooking. I can download and run a recipe, see the results, and in the process of executing the recipe code, I learn how each part works.

And like GitHub, you can copy and paste code, but you learn a lot more if you examine it, break it down, and then rebuild. Along the way you learn skills, syntaxes, and concepts that allow you to bend it to your will.

Genres are languages
There are algorithms that cross all boundaries in cooking. Understanding things such as glucose breakdown, deglazing, and ordering ingredient combination to allow the optimal heating time for different cellular structures are all valuable skills across any genre of cooking.

However, cooking Italian varies drastically from cooking Thai. The base ingredients are different, the way that using Ruby constructs in Python will bite you every time. Each genre has its own syntax, if you will, and things that work in one genre require some translation to work in another.

Learning the basic algorithms (zesting a lemon, caramelizing onions, separating models and views—oops, mixed analogy) serves you well across languages.

Unit testing
Unit testing in programming can be complex without proper forethought. It’s a lot easier in the kitchen. Once you learn how things are going to fit together, you can taste test and season each section of the recipe individually. Running a complete set of tests as you build allows you to retry a smaller section without having to toss the entire product.

Multithreading
Just like learning multi-thread memory concepts, once you understand a recipe sufficiently, you become able to have multiple pots on the stove, something in the oven, and still have time to chop ingredients for the next phase. I’ve taken meals that initially required 3-4 hours of kitchen processing time and turned them into 30-40 minute projects.

Material cost
I’ve quickly learned that dried basil is not the same as fresh-chopped basil. I prefer to use fresh ingredients for everything (I might make exceptions for lemon juice, and when garlic is minced instead of sliced, I’ve found that a jar of minced garlic is usually as good as anything I peel and press by hand).

tl;dr:

That gets expensive, whereas writing code doesn’t have a grocery bill. However, when you total up the amount I spend on computers, text editors, input devices and other hardware, I think cooking—even with the initial cost of good pans and utensils—ends up costing less over the course of a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Smythe can you share some of your code with us

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

this is my cake, if you want your own you'll need a fork

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

not sure i'd want to eat anything that would need to be debugged first

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

not sure i'd want to eat anything that would need to be debugged first

lol

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
i don't like your recipes mainly b/c i dont like spaghetti

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
are recipes Turing-complete?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
recipes are like peoples code on github if you had a book called 1000 ways to cook dogshit i guess

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

The Management posted:

are recipes Turing-complete?

does that mean you can make a lasagna then use the lasagna to make a hot dog? then yes. they are.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
any time someone complains about food at a restaurant i just tell them to opena pull request

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

any time someone complains about food at a restaurant i just tell them to opena pull request

are you a chef or wait staff or what

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

you can eat the result of a recipe and prevent death, but the result of any code is just useless garbage that no one needs or can even use

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

fajitas use jit compling to generate bitecode

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

fa jit as

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

power botton posted:

I’ve found that a jar of minced garlic is usually as good as anything I peel and press by hand

i want to find the person that wrote this and then do a series of powerful mortal combat moves on them and then uppercut their lifeless body onto a bunch of big spikes

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

i want to find the person that wrote this and then do a series of powerful mortal combat moves on them and then uppercut their lifeless body onto a bunch of big spikes

pretty good but i would have preferred if they got uppercutted into an infinite stream of epic rumbling Big Rigs instead of big spikes. just a thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
im lolling about the mental image of someone getting uppercutter so hard they clip through the cieling/floor and into a highway with non stop big rigs running them over for infinity

• Locked thread