Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm bottoming out. I can't deal with applying to a hundred jobs in a week and never hearing back any more, I don't want to go work retail because I've done it and it nearly made me kill people and wouldn't pay me enough to matter anyway (see next paragraph), I couldn't keep my business going solo and couldn't find anybody to become a partner in it, I have trouble with working for an rear end in a top hat boss, and I'm tired of doing amorphous design/editing poo poo for people's personal blog or website. I'd love a job where I'm treated like an actual human being, but the last time that happened was when I worked part-time on a radio show, at age 18.

I'm kind of stuck. I've lived in the Bay Area essentially my entire life, I'm 28 and stuck living at my parents because at this point the Bay is so expensive that I can't find a job that even makes me enough money to move out, let alone move to some other location in the country that's cheaper. I've tried working jobs that pay less, but I end up needing to spend money on coping mechanisms just to let me get through the lovely job, and then I end up with less left over than I'd get on unemployment.

I'm considering martime transport (I posted in the thread asking some questions about it), but I don't know if there's a better option for me. I'm kind of desperately grasping at whatever is in front of my face. Is there some skill I can learn where I don't have to jump through a thousand hoops to try and prove that I can do the job people need done, instead of just doing the job they need done? I've thought of learning quickbooks since people always need help with their books, but I don't know if that's the best way to go.

This post feels all e/nish to me, which I hate, but I'm at my wits ends trying to figure out what I can do where I'll actually get work, and be paid enough for it to matter. If anybody has suggestions, even if they're super harsh and about me being retarded in some way, I would appreciate them. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why don't you apply to a temp agency? They usually love getting someone that can actually read and is eligible to work in the US.

Edit: Apply in person so they can interview you on the spot and you can prove you know how to take a bus somewhere.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Welder, electrician, carpenter, plumber, roofer. Honestly if you want a skill that you can just use those are great.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm actually currently in/using Robert Half and OfficeTeam (which is a sub-thing of Robert Half I guess) as temp agencies, and have had a pretty poor experience with them, outside of one job 3 years ago where I was doing data entry which worked out well and was good. Since that one job they've essentially blown off any time I reached out to them for placement, and I just periodically get put on a chain email for "come stack boxes for 4 hours for $10 an hour, an hour and a half drive from where you live", which means that like half of that money would be eaten up in transport. Or sometimes they contact me for a position that I am wildly unqualified for that requires expert knowledge of some programming language I have never touched.

I don't think it was a performance/personality issue at the data entry job or anything either, the people I was working with there told me they'd loved having me, and would specifically be asking RH for me if I was available when they needed more data entry in like a month, and that if they could swing the cost with their bosses (They'd have to pay RH some bounty on me or whatever since temp agency), wanted to go for a work-to-hire route with RH for me. :shrug:

That is a point though, I should probably be trying to find the smaller temp agencies. Everybody I talk to about it only knows Robert Half, so I haven't really considered other agencies.

E:

spwrozek posted:

Welder, electrician, carpenter, plumber, roofer. Honestly if you want a skill that you can just use those are great.

Thanks! I've thought about doing the electrician thing before (My dad/a bunch of guys I grew up with were contractors who all told me doing contracting that wasn't electrical is their biggest regret), partly it seems like that would be something that would be 3-5 years down the road if I started on it. I might be being unrealistic, and just have to buck up and make the commitment, but I'd really like to find something that could be generating me income sooner.

E2: Or actually I think I'm an idiot and that's a great idea, I forgot the whole 'you get paid as an apprentice' thing. I don't remember how much schooling you have to get before you can become an apprentice, I'll definitely look into it, and talk to the contractors I know about it.

surc fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 6, 2016

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Definitely recommend learning a trade. I am a first year plumbing apprentice and I actually like my job for once. You learn something new every day and at the end of the day you can actually see everything you have done. Very satisfying.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm currently asking around in my circle of known-contractors to figure out the best way to go about the whole thing (apparently I no longer know any electricians directly, which would be the one I'd be most interested in :(). From what I've seen, there's the "just go get a certificate" route, and the "go get educated for like 2 years" route. I assume it depends entirely on region and is different between trades, but anybody have insight into which is considered more bullshit? (For example, in the food industry you don't go to culinary school if you want to be a chef, because you learn bullshit and then have to unlearn it).

Basically, I would prefer to do the two month thing, but am unsure if really it makes more sense to just commit to the longer (formal) education path.

Also, how's the plumbing on your knees/back? I've done some plumbing work on my parents house, and it has definitely been interesting work, I'm just trying to think long-term body health here if I can, instead of like 10 years down the line.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 8, 2016

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Being that you are in the bay area anyway, have you considered the obvious choice?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

surc posted:

I'm bottoming out. I can't deal with applying to a hundred jobs in a week and never hearing back any more, I don't want to go work retail because I've done it and it nearly made me kill people and wouldn't pay me enough to matter anyway (see next paragraph), I couldn't keep my business going solo and couldn't find anybody to become a partner in it, I have trouble with working for an rear end in a top hat boss, and I'm tired of doing amorphous design/editing poo poo for people's personal blog or website. I'd love a job where I'm treated like an actual human being, but the last time that happened was when I worked part-time on a radio show, at age 18.

I'm kind of stuck. I've lived in the Bay Area essentially my entire life, I'm 28 and stuck living at my parents because at this point the Bay is so expensive that I can't find a job that even makes me enough money to move out, let alone move to some other location in the country that's cheaper. I've tried working jobs that pay less, but I end up needing to spend money on coping mechanisms just to let me get through the lovely job, and then I end up with less left over than I'd get on unemployment.

I'm considering martime transport (I posted in the thread asking some questions about it), but I don't know if there's a better option for me. I'm kind of desperately grasping at whatever is in front of my face. Is there some skill I can learn where I don't have to jump through a thousand hoops to try and prove that I can do the job people need done, instead of just doing the job they need done? I've thought of learning quickbooks since people always need help with their books, but I don't know if that's the best way to go.

This post feels all e/nish to me, which I hate, but I'm at my wits ends trying to figure out what I can do where I'll actually get work, and be paid enough for it to matter. If anybody has suggestions, even if they're super harsh and about me being retarded in some way, I would appreciate them. :unsmith:

OP it sounds like you really do not hate your current job/work of being a copy editor for websites but the managers, company, or clients you work for. Also, I know dealing with clients/deadlines is a pain but I know their are companies out there where you don't have to do client facing poo poo. No matter what industry or job you work for, you'll have lovely managers or clients. For example I work in the similar industry as you, but I started out working in construction out of highschool. I hate it, not because of early hours or manual labor, because my co-workers were alcoholic assholes.

My thought on work is this. We all have to do something for 20 - 30 years and work somewhere. Why not find a place and skill that will make you money live happily on, and you don't hate going into everyday because you can tolerate (ideally enjoy) who you work with.

If you can't survive off of design/copy work in Bay area, its because you live in the Bay area. Move out of there and make the same in a more affordable city?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Doghouse posted:

Being that you are in the bay area anyway, have you considered the obvious choice?

I am worried those photographers may want me to do more than just pop a balloon by sitting on it naked though.

In seriousness, I'm looking for work in cheaper parts of the country, but it's just more of the same horrible soul-crushing application process. I did finally get a phone interview from one of my applications though :unsmith:

I had a lot of different things hit at once, and had an intense, panic-y meltdown, which lead to the whole tone of the OP. I'm feeling a bit more collected about the whole thing now, and am looking in multiple directions for possible jobs/skills to develop. All of them definitely involve me getting out of the area. Also one of the issues has been actually having money to move out of the Bay Area, but it looks like I might be able to get some grunt work around here to help pay for initial moving costs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

surc posted:

I am worried those photographers may want me to do more than just pop a balloon by sitting on it naked though.
He meant programming.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This is a good explanation that applies to most states. I would assume other trades are similar in how you get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItI4WMaADg

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

These are all good. There's always a lot of work out there for these jobs. Plumbers are in short supply. Expect to be physical if you're dealing with most jobs especially commercial scale jobs. There's a lot of potential to make good money especially if you can contract for yourself in the future.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you learn to program and spend a couple years doing it where you are, you'll have a lot of good options for relocating to other cheaper cities. You might even be able to get someone to pay for your move.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
If you're relatively fit, you could always join the reserves or the guard in a military branch.

Just pick a job that actually has decent uses. System Admins/or some sort of CE type of work.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

TLG James posted:

If you're relatively fit, you could always join the reserves or the guard in a military branch.

Hahahahahahaha

Don't do this.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Hahahahahahaha

Don't do this.

I think you mean that he should join the Marines immediately.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Chair Force for life.

If you can find a job working as a calibration technician you can get enough experience to move out to somewhere cheaper. Good techs are hard to find and companies are always hiring for something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions, I have worked for tech companies in the past, and they have all involved people treating me like I'm sub-human scum. Also they're contributing to the destruction of all existing culture in the bay area, which I do not like. Similarly, the military would also be a last resort for me, as it would go against essentially all of my beliefs.
I'm thinking the trade route is probably the way for me to go longer term. At the moment I've actually had some responses from bullshit officework jobs in the northwest, and have people up there I could stay with for a bit.
I have a plane ticket for next Wednesday, a few interviews lined up, and I'm going to just cram as many in-person applications and interviews in as I can before I wear out my welcome crashing with friends and/or get hired. :unsmith:

E:

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This is a good explanation that applies to most states. I would assume other trades are similar in how you get started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XItI4WMaADg

Thanks! This talks about a bunch of stuff I was wondering about. I assume there will be some differences between trades, but I had no idea what the process is like at all, no experience with unions in my life so far. :)

surc fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 16, 2016

• Locked thread