Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
In the last couple years I've played many single player games, usually on an emulator, rigged so that two people can play.

Take a turn based rpg or an srpg like fire emblem, divide all the characters up between you and your friend, and config both your controllers to act as player one. (easier in some emulators than others, something like xpadder or joy2key can make it so you can do this with any game where it could work -- pc games too)

The fun in doing this largely depends on the games you and your friend enjoy and if you really need control of all the characters then you will be endlessly frustrated while doing this, but it can be surprisingly fun with a friend or significant other

Obviously there were many games in the past that let you do take turns like mario or Gradius 3/Parodious, but has anyone done anything like this when a traditional 2 player mode was not available, or all your other controllers were broke, what did you do? was it fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Life And Death on the PC, the person handling the scalpel was excused from the injections or transfusions.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Final Fantasy 3/6 had the option to give control of two characters to the second player in battle. I don't know if 9 had the same one, but it might have.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Super Mario multiplayer is insane because the difficulty is now based on how much the players hate each other.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

New Super Mario multiplayer is insane because the difficulty is now based on how much the players hate each other.

This is known as 'divorce mode'.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

FactsAreUseless posted:

Final Fantasy 3/6 had the option to give control of two characters to the second player in battle. I don't know if 9 had the same one, but it might have.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I'm replicating in what I was talking about in my OP, just with games that don't support that instead. FF IX/IV and VI were the only ones to have that feature built in.

Edit: and FFV(SNES)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

So did the Lord of the Rings reskin of FFX that my friend and I beat one summer.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

So did the Lord of the Rings reskin of FFX that my friend and I beat one summer.

Is that the one where you warp to the top of Barad-Dur to fight Sauron's eye as the final boss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe. We never finished the game because we very quickly found a way a to max every single skill way faster than anticipated: skill trees advance by using skills in them>early spells in every skill tree are basically buffs>archer learns a sleep arrow move>kill every enemy except one, put him to sleep and spam buffs for 40 turns.

The max end game skill of the archer is a target all arrow rain ability that kills every enemy, and costs no resources, so once we unlocked that we realized we would never again face any problems for the rest of the game and stopped before even finishing disc 1 with a fully maxed out party

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played Beyond Oasis with my old roommate on Wii VC, and the VC lets you use multiple controllers to control the same character. He spent the whole game trolling me by leading us into pits and enemies.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-eNWwFflE

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like how Super Mario Galaxy lets a second player use a Wii remote to pick up star bits/shoot them to stun enemies.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

this is awesome

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I miss old arcade side scrolled beat em ups like Gunstar Heroes, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Final Fight and Aliens vs Predator. Those had some good rear end multiplayer.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Badass

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The game had FMVs of scenes from all the movies but then you would go into a room and like, Sam would be seen closing the door! and you were always one step behind the characters, secretly doing everything they were shown doing in the movies (?)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

True shot really does a lot of damage.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I miss old arcade side scrolled beat em ups like Gunstar Heroes, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Final Fight and Aliens vs Predator. Those had some good rear end multiplayer.

You should play the d&d one if you haven't, it's awesome

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

There's a lot of single player games that have fanmade co op mods if you care enough to try to get them working properly. Supposedly there is an ocarina of time 4p co op mod.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

No Such Thing posted:

There's a lot of single player games that have fanmade co op mods if you care enough to try to get them working properly. Supposedly there is an ocarina of time 4p co op mod.

Yeah I was thinking of checking out the mario 64 one, I've never played any of these co op romhacks yet

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Goldeneye co-op rules. Pick one of the 2.x control schemes and split the controllers between two people.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Goat posted:

Goldeneye co-op rules. Pick one of the 2.x control schemes and split the controllers between two people.

I remember at LAN parties when we'd wait for other people to get their poo poo set up sometimes a buddy and I would play unreal vs bots where one player used the keyboard and the other the mouse, and it was a loving blast

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
used to play wolf3d with one homie on the keys and one on the mouse

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Ralp posted:

I remember at LAN parties when we'd wait for other people to get their poo poo set up sometimes a buddy and I would play unreal vs bots where one player used the keyboard and the other the mouse, and it was a loving blast

the only time ive ever played l4d was drunk as hell while using the mouse and my friend used the keyboard

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Jet Force Gemini the second player controller could control a little floating robot that hovered behind the player and shoot at things, my brother and I discovered this completely by accident

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
one brother moving the mech, the other one taking care of guns/targeting in mechwarrior 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Zeuhl posted:

Edit: and FFV(SNES)

nice save bitch i was about to lambaste you

• Locked thread