Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Images assail Raznik's senses, flickering visions of a future not yet certain. Vontellius and Phinrel before a thick tangle of fallen trees, protecting the family as vampires descend from above in a rain of falling foliage. Seamus and Anya -- why is she with him? -- in a murky pool beneath a strange ruin, the water rising behind them with a life of its own.

And then he's back in the present, as Seamus bodily hurls the heavy suit of armour up the far bank. Lawgiver scrambles for a moment, then finds purchase. Phinrel and the family are all climbing down the muddy slope, looking to scramble up after Geron.

What will Raznik do?

potatocubed fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide

Raznik blinks, shaking his head as he clear the visions from his eyes. He doesn't have to think, scrambling up the slope to join Vontellius and Phinrel. He calls out to Seamus in his raspy, tired voice. "Seamus! Beware the water! It is not what it seems!" He grabs up his robes and takes off after the rest of the group.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Downriver: Seamus
Seamus sets off at a jog, feet splashing heavily in the shallow creek, the howls of vampires following close behind. The break in the forest canopy afforded by the gully allows just enough light from the moon hanging overhead for him to keep vague track of his surroundings. But after some time following the stream, finding no easy route up the Fellbit side of the gully walls, the Kaelic warrior finds himself standing at its terminus: a rocky basin perhaps forty or fifty feet across and maybe twenty deep, filled with water that reaches his thighs, and surrounded on all sides by overhanging trees. About a quarter of the way around the basin from where he is standing stands a crumbling stone tower; now run down and partially collapsed, when it was new it would have seemed to flow upward from the basin floor, emerging from the earth and joining with the trees in a pseudo-organic manner. An opening yawns at the waterline, offering a way inside and the tantalising promise of stairs within.

But more importantly, Seamus realises abruptly that he is not alone. Whipping around to strike, he has to redirect An Phionos into the soft stream bed to avoid bisecting Anya, one of the twins, who has been slinking along behind him the whole time.

"We should keep moving," she says, pointedly not addressing her unexpected presence or narrow brush with accidental death. "The vampires are close."

Fallen Trees: Vontellius, Phinrel, Raznik
Seamus has drawn off most of the vampires chasing you, and the sound of their cries heading in a different direction somehow makes the going seem easier -- until you find yourselves facing a swathe of fallen trees, like some great hand has slapped down a section of the forest, turning it into an unstable warren of leaves and darkness.

You pause to work out what to do next: you could head into the warren beneath the collapsed treetrunks, risking the closer quarters and uncertain twists to cut directly towards your destination; you could go over the top of the fallen forest, easier to navigate but leaving yourselves exposed and risking falls into the labyrinth below; or you could go around, which is the safest and longest option.

Except your discussion is interrupted by Nalia's realisation that Anya is missing. After some shouting from his parents, Sidney admits that he saw his sister go off after 'the big man, down the stream'. The revelation has Nalia on the edge of hysterics and sends Geron storming off in a rage, swearing indiscriminately and striking branches off the trees with his axe.

But Raznik knows what happens next, and knows to look upwards, to the trees still standing. Just as in his vision, shadowy figures are already crawling down from their hiding places amid the leaves, eyes aglow and hungry for blood -- but thanks to his shouted warning, you have the chance to act first.

What will you do?

--
Just to be clear, I'm assuming Raznik's already gone 'hey, vampires!' so all three of you are clear to act. There are six vamps coming for you, and I'm still using the mob rules where every 6 hp of damage will drop one.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus
HP: 21/25 | Armor 1/1 | Heritage: 3 | XP 2/7 | Corruption»○○○○○○

Recovering from the shock I have time to hiss "Damnation child!, What d'ye think yer doin!? You'd have been safer with the others. No matter, stick close by me and we'll get through this."
I grasp the child's hand, after all, if the water's up to my thighs, it's probably shoulder deep or more for her. Slowly, so as not to make loud splashes, I bring us to the tower's entrance, all the while murmuring mantras and imprecations to the divinities of the Kaels; Carrion Crow the goddess of death, Finn Durgda god of wit, the Twins Mav and Mab-Sun and Moon.
Heritage 12
An old, familiar calm comes over me. I am a Kaelic warrior, towering in stature and spirit. Yes, these creatures are vile and tricky, but battle is battle. And who was born for battle? The Kaels!
Time to stop cowering like a child, and keep my fuckin wits about me so I can keep this child safe. What was it the small lizard said...beware the water?

Taking temporary shelter in the shadows of the tower's lowest room, I peek back out into the night, eyes wide and ears open, scarcely daring to breathe...
Discern Realities 11
What is about to happen?
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is not what it appears to be?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 1/1 | XP: 3/7 | Load: 3/6

Phinrel look's up at Razniks cry but Mote reacts even faster, moving to the Lantern's hand before Phinrel even know's he'll need the weapon, and assuming the shape of a bow. Phinrel immedietly takes a shot at the closest vampire, missing a direct shot but scoring a glancing blow.

Volley to attack Vampires: 2d6+2 10
Damage: 1d6 2

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Sir Vontellius Alterham, Knight of the Order of the Spark
HP: 19/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 2 | Suit: Dinged
Lawgiver
Stress: 1/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Nonfunctional | Advanced Systems| Operational | Paintjob: Could be better

Sir Vontellius stood ready, advancing upon the monsters as Phinrel let loose an arrow of vibrant energy.

"Stay behind me!" he shouted to the civilians, this was not their time. With that shout, the noble knight drew out the whirligig saw from the depths of the suit again, its twin blades clean again - the spark-based systems having energised them until all debris would fall off or burn, something that the Order was renowned for.

With that, Vontellius (his face hidden beneath the bulk of his suit) gritted his teeth and began his grim work, the spinning toothed blades of the saw whirring to life.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2 8

Damage (Close, Messy): 1d8 6

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Flowing Tower: Seamus and Anya
Inside the tower the light is almost nonexistent. The walls are smooth and uneven, slightly slick to the touch, reminiscent of nothing so much as a partially-melted candle. There are no stairs that you might have hoped for, but an opening in the ceiling offers a way up -- Seamus' size and strength would make it simple to haul himself up, but Anya will need help.

Outside, the surface of the shallow lake ripples lazily under the starlight. There is no wind.

Your three questions kinda all have the same answer, so if you want to pick a couple of different ones as extras go ahead. Basically, see that wave? It's actually an ooze, a big one, and it's coming for you just under the surface.

Fallen Trees: Vontellius, Phinrel, Raznik, Geron, Nalia, and Sidney
Mote's shot grazes one of the vampires, then with terrible speed they're upon you. Lawgiver's saws obliterate one, but another makes it past the whirling blades to batter at the suit's already-dented armour. The others spread themselves around, seeking blood wherever they can; this close you can see that this batch are woven about with some sort of thorned vine that grows from their dead flesh. Yet another bizarre mutation to range alongside 'caustic touch' and 'elongated limbs'.

Vampire-related damage to Vontellius: 1d6+2 6
Turns out I was rolling the wrong damage for the vamps all through the previous encounter. Oops. Sorry about that.
Vampires: 4 healthy, one at 4/6 hp.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
In that case, my other 2 questions will be:
What here is useful or valuable to me?
Who’s really in control here?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That would be 'nothing much right now', although there might be some artefacts or something further up the tower; and 'nobody', although this is very much the ooze's home so it's the closest to being 'in control'.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
HP: 15/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 2 | Suit: A little dented
Lawgiver
Stress: 1/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Nonfunctional | Advanced Systems| Operational | Paintjob: Could be better

Even more fell mutations seem to have taken hold amidst the vampires, noted Vontellius as his saws rent flesh and bone apart with ease, rendering it down into a much less recognisable consistency. Taking the blow in stride, the knight ignored the pain for the moment - after all, pain is fleeting.

But still... it might be that these are mere mutations that originate due to exposure to magic or something else with mutagenic properties... or it might be that they're evolving. A concept that is too terrible to truly consider for the moment, but it might be that this is the next stage that these vampires go through if given enough time, some kind of post-necrotic drive or function or mechanism that, much like how a caterpillar will transition into becoming a butterfly, that vampires start to less-and-less resemble what they originated from... this is definitely something that must be catalogued and brought back. The idea that is... though bringing back one of the vampires themselves might be... an idea, but perhaps a foolish one - quickly thought the knight as he whirred the suit about, the freshly blood-coated blades of his twin saws stilling spinning about with a violent tenacity.

Keeping his eyes keenly upon strangely-thorned aspect of these vampires, Vontellius tried more aggressive tactics to keep them at bay, swinging the saw in a horizontal arc, hoping to at the very least severely mess up the monsters if he doesn't destroy them in their entirety, after all if they've been bisected but are still moving, they are going to have a hard time doing anything at that point.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2 11

However unlike before, a blood rage does not grip Vontellius this time, who currently has focused his mind through what the Order of the Spark call fulgur, a state of mind wherein one focuses oneself to strike without hesitation, instead subsuming oneself to the inevitability of one's actions. Strike without fear, without flaw, and without concession.

Damage (Close, Messy): 1d8 7

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus

I notice the abnormal rippling of the ooze. My grip tightens on An Phionos as I think fast.
Bardic Lore What do I know about the best way to fight an Ooze?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide
HP: 10/16 Armor: 0 Heritage: 2

Faced with another vision becoming grim reality, Raznik steps past the peasant family, raising his hands towards the vampires. He picks one that has yet to be touched by Vontellius or Phinrel and attempts to work a spell of harm upon it.

hurt 'em: 2d6+1 13
Hell yeah. I'm using the tags Reach and Elemental (Fire) for this one.

damage: 1d8 3
They can't all be winners.

Fire lances out of Raznik's clawed fingers and wings the vampire as he stumbles, clearly not at full potential.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
[quote="neaden" post="456964108"]
Phinrel the Lantern

Phinrel tries to fire a second shot befoer the vampire's have finished off Vontellius, the effort expends some of Motes energy, weakening the Light until it has a chance to rest. The arrow hit's the same vampire as before, but once again barely wounds the monster.

Reducing Piercing by 1 instead of spending an ammo.
Volley: 2d6+2 8
Damage: 1d6 1

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Seamus racks his memory for tales of oozes. There are countless varieties of the things, each with their own peculiar qualities based on their descent from the noble lines of the great Slime Empire that was, but he identifies this as a crystal ooze: near-impossible to hurt with weapons due to their ability to re-absorb severed portions, their touch carries a potent paralytic venom that robs the victim of feeling and control.

If you must fight one? Fire hurts them, salt rapidly dessicates their membranes, and in theory an attack big enough to splatter it would force it to spend enough time reconstituting for you to make a getaway. But your options are pretty limited.

Just to make it clear: as a bladed weapon, An Phionos hasn't got enough 'splat' to really hurt the ooze. You're looking for something huge, blunt, explosive, and/or messy.

Another vampire dies under Vontellius' saws, while Phinrel and Raznik provide ranged support. Nalia and Sidney loiter by the fallen trees, safely out of the reach of Lawgiver's blades but keeping the armoured suit between them and the vampires; the feral vampires, for their part, seem happy to throw themselves forward with no concern for their own wellbeing -- the last of them are on the ground now, running straight for Lawgiver and, presumably, the tasty morsels behind it.

But where's Geron? You can see him off to one side, gripping his axe, eyeing the vampires and clearly planning some ill-advised act of heroism.

What will you do?

--
Vampires: 2 healthy, 2 at 3/6 hp each.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
How about something flaming? :v:

Seamus

Crystal ooze, eh? My eyes track the ripples, while I rummage through my pack a moment....ah, here we go. I pull out a small item (mark 1 Adventuring Gear).
A trick I learned from an old monster hunter I worked with years ago. A bottle of Jellied lamp oil, smeared across An Phionos' blade.
I turn to Anya, "be still and silent, this will get ugly."
I strike a flint against the blade-flat, igniting the oil. Like my blade does with flesh, the flames cut the night, illuminating the grotto and the ooze slinking below the water's surface.

The flaming oil clings to my sword, heating it up and giving it the flaming tag, but it won't last long, I need to hurry to make use of it.
I charge out to the ooze, An Phionos at the ready and strike with a roar of fury!
Hack & Slash 10
leaving myself open in exchange for +1d6 dmg
damage 5 flaming, forceful

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

HP: 15/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 2 | Suit: A little dented | Defend 3
Lawgiver

Whirring the blades of his whirligig saw once more, Vontellius's mind drifted from the state of fulgur as he realised that there was something more pertinent right now than merely slaying these vampires. Repositioning himself carefully, using his weapon to hold the vampires at bay for the moment, circling around the vampires to prevent them from gaining an advantage, the knight interposed himself between the vampires and the foolish woodsman, Geron. Perhaps Vontellius had struck too grand a figure and this had inspired the man, but although the knight made things look relatively effortless, fighting vampires was no simple task - beasts of exceptional strength and toughness, the feral ones driven by a primal hunger for the blood of the living that makes them attack with a ferocity found outside of the natural world. Although not deigning to say anything yet, Vontellius swiftly withdraw the saw blades back into his suit and caused the right-handed gauntlet to open to reveal a large piston framework with a thick metal spike at one end - its point only small but the remaining bulk of that piece was evident.

Driving a mixture of air and a mild amount of fuel into the appropriate parts of the piston-powered driver, Vontellius advanced, leading with his left as he felt the driver begin to shake as the pressure built up, swivelling about he thrust it deep into the mid-section of one of the vampires as the spark ignited the fuel-air mixture causing a loud bang and resulting in the spiked tip shooting forward with great force, the sheer thickness of it causing a resultant would to be worse, but moreover granting it the capability to drive any unfortunate that would be struck by this, should they survive, back and probably down.

(Using the Full Arsenal with the Forceful tag.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2 12

Damage (Close, Forceful): 1d8 5

The gods reward the bold, however unless Vontellius was going to slay multiple vampires at once by himself, Geron still was a possible liability, so it was the knight - victorious for a moment - struck a defensive stance, keeping himself between the other vampire and Geron.

Defend (Con): 2d6+1 12

(Crikey! Orokos likes me today! Holding 3.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Hey Potatocubed! Are we still going on?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2016

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If you'll forgive me for being a flake, we can continue.

I'll compose a post now.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Seamus surges forward, the water barely holding him back, and as the crystal ooze ripples up from the surface of the lake he meets it with An Phionos. The transparent flesh of the thing ignites and blackens where the flaming sword touches it, the force of the strike sending burning fragments of ooze scattering through the night sky. The main bulk of the thing recoils, falling back into the water to extinguish itself, but scattered pieces of it rain across Seamus' bare skin -- and chill numbness follows almost instantly in their wake. Suddenly An Phionos feels heavy, unwieldy in his hands. His balance is shaky, breathing difficult.

He's bought himself and the girl some time, though. What will he do with it?

You've bought yourself some time with the forceful attack, but it'll be defy danger to do anything requiring balance or co-ordination while you're semi-paralysed.
Crystal Ooze: 10/15 hp, staggered.

Four vampires hurl themselves at Lawgiver. One is immediately blasted across the small clearing by the piston fist, bouncing off a tree before vanishing into the darkness. Not dead, not quite, but far enough away not to be an immediate threat. As Vontellius holds the other three at bay Geron darts around the mechanical suit. A wild look in his eyes, he splits a vampire's skull with his axe -- and like a flash, the next one along lashes out for him.

As it stands right now the injured vampire is going to one-shot Geron with its supernatural strength, but I'm assuming some Defend spend here. Let me know what you want to do.
Phinrel and Raznik can go as well, but their actions will happen after whatever with Geron and the vampire.
3 vampires remaining: 6/6 -- 3/6 -- 1/6 and Way Over There

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus
HP: 21/25 | Armor 1/1 | Heritage: 2 | XP 2/7 | Corruption»○○○○○○

Water sloshes as I stagger a step back myself, the icy numbness is spreading. Damnation! My blade is still flaming and we're not out of danger yet. I just have to push through and end this without letting the ooze touch me again. Easy, right? Right.

I lean forward against the rippling water, my feet feel encased in stone but I keep coming, one foot in front of the other. Left. Right. Left. It's hard to focus my vision, but I squint and follow the bits of the thing I've already blackened.
Defy Danger 9
The going is rough, but I make it. I raise An Phionos above my head once more to strike the creature and feel a surge as my heart begins beating the staccato rhythms of Kaelic wardrums, my head buzzes and fire flows through my veins, I hear the songs and chants of my people, I wear the pride of my ancestors like armor. This is the Kaelic Warp-Fury, the battle madness that blesses our greatest heroes and warriors. The Fury pushes a man beyond even the impressive limits we already have. As a boy I listened to legends about Cuil Hound, whose warp fury allowed him to fell an army singlehandedly in one night...
I feel the icy breath of the Carrion Crow, Goddess of Death upon my neck, as she says a single word..."kill."
Calling on my Heritage, spending one hold to:
Kill or smash something without warning, hesitation, or remorse

don't know if you want me to roll damage still, or if this is in-fiction enough for me to pull off.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern

"Mote, get them!" Phinrel shouts, pointing at the group of vampires. Unfortunately, at this point the light has been used and abused enough. Mote flashes an angry red at Phinrel instead of the vampires, who holds up his hands placatingly. "Hey, you've been doing great, let's just, let's not do anything stupid, I mean, not anything I will regret."

Bend Light-Attack: 2d6+1 6

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

HP: 15/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 2 | Suit: A little dented | Defend 1
Lawgiver
Stress: 1/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Nonfunctional | Advanced Systems: Operational | Paintjob: Could be better

Having expected the foolishness of the courageous, Vontellius pre-empted the retaliation from one of the vampires coming for Geron, rushing to place himself between it and him, the body of Lawgiver acting as a bulwark against the undead fiend.

Spending 2 hold on Defend to:
* Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself.
* Halve the attack's effect or damage.

With Geron's foolish bravado protected for once, the knight forced back the oncoming vampire as he shouted back to Geron "Stay back! Think of your family!" he said before facing the vampires once more. The arm-focused piston system retracts back into the depths of the suit as the blade whose name means 'Blood Shadow', slightly curved and rather long - Vontellius had originally acquired the razor-edged sword on his worldly travels as a knight-errant, however the specific story that accompanied that would have to wait for another time, as a fierce look crossed the knight's eyes and he swept across with the blade in hopes of cutting down these monsters, and putting an end to their ways.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2 9

Damage (Close, +1 Damage): 1d8+1 7

Looks like I'll be taking some retaliation unless someone wants to Aid me!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Seamus wades after the retreating ooze, caught in the throes of his battle fury, and hacks at it over and over with An Phionos until it's nothing but scattered, floating remnants.

He comes back to himself standing in the shallow lake, Anya lurking in the shadows of the flowing tower. Everything is still, although the howls of feral vampires on the hunt still echo through the trees.

"We should go," Anya says quietly. "I think we can climb up and out through here."

She peers up at the stars, visible above the lake.

"Fellbit's that way," she says, pointing. "I think."

Defy Danger cost: mark corruption!
If you head for Fellbit you can push yourself to move fast, risking further corruption, or you can go slower and risk being caught by vampires. If you do something else I'll work out what you're risking instead. =P

Vontellius blocks the vampire's counterattack against Geron, the force of the blow jarring him even through Lawgiver's layers of protection. Spittle flecks Geron's lips as he's caught between gratitude at being saved and frustration at needing to be saved at all, but he stays still as Vontellius goes to work with Blood Shadow, cutting down another vampire. His backswing lops the arm off the last one -- and the thorny plant inside its body bursts forth in response, lashing around the armoured suit and tangling its limbs. With undead strength the vampire heaves, and Lawgiver goes crashing face-first to the ground.

And then Mote, in a fit of pique at being ordered around, plunges the area into darkness. Nadia screams at the sudden vanishing of the light.

There are two vampires left out there, badly hurt but unhindered by darkness. One is attached to Lawgiver by an unnatural net of vines. The other could be anywhere.

What do you do?

Redirected attack on Geron (damage): 1d6+2 8 4.
2 vampires remaining: 2/6 and One Arm -- 1/6 and Could Be Anywhere???

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus
HP: 21/25 | Armor 1/1 | Heritage: 2 | XP 2/7 | Corruption»●○○○○○

Ok, so...I mark corruption now for the 9 on DD, and then if I'm gonna risk it to rush back to Fellbit, I need to DD again and risk more corruption?
Sounds like a plan, just wanna make sure I'm on the same page.

My breath heaves as the last flickers of burning oil on my blade gutter out, plunging us back into moonlit darkness. I turn back to the child.
"Aye, yer right, we'll make better time if I carry you. Climb on"
I kneel down to allow the girl to get a steady perch on my back, and then I launch myself up through the wreckage of the tower. My fury has cleared, but still lends its after effects, I swing An Phionos one handed, to clear the path, grabbing branches to hurl myself forward as I run, consuming distance in the darkened woods like a starving wolf consumes its prey.
Defy Danger (STR) 11
After a time, I begin to see the lights of town peeking through the trees...

Ok, so my plan is to drop the girl off safely, and see if anyone will help me. Then, with help or not, go charging back into the woods like a big dumb idiot to save everyone else! Nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan! :v:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
"Not...Not helpful Mote!" Phinrel scrambles towards where the family was when he last saw them. "OK, everyone let's get together, put our backs together. We can get through this, this is a just, a temporary setback and we don't need to worry about who to blame."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

HP: 13/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 1 | Suit: A little dented also oily | Defend 1
Lawgiver
Stress: 1/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Nonfunctional | Advanced Systems: Operational | Paintjob: Stained

This was not ideal, mused the mechanitrix within his own thoughts. The suit struggling somewhat against the vine-filled vampire, Vontellius retracted the blade back into the confines of the suit, it would have to be used another time, however right now other issues would have to be dealt with. Thinking fast, the knight rerouted the oil flows throughout the suit, tapping into excess tanks he kept in case the suit was going to be used for an excessive amount of time, trying to distribute it thorough the "Porous Channel Vents" system or PCV, a series of pore-like channels that are dotted amongst the entire suit in for the purpose of allowing better acclimation to external conditions or the proliferation of certain anti-corrosion compounds that he kept in storage in case of having to deal with more specific environments. This time however he tried to route a small amount of the pressure flows along a channel leading to the PCV in that he had also vented some of the aforementioned oils into, blasting the oils evenly along the surface of his suit, lubricating it heavily and hopefully breaking free of the grip of the dastardly fiend that had used its unusual vines to grip Lawgiver.

Defy Danger (Intelligence): 2d6+2 7

Or at least that was the theory, truth be told he hadn't attempted a manoeuvre like this before and the result might differ somewhat from what he was attempting...

Regardless, Vontellius would one way or another rise - flanked by darkness. However he was at peace, because this darkness was magical in nature, it was not simply the dark, but a contrivance caused by a miscast spell from the sun-priest. It was not a true manifestation upon this world, and so it could be refused.

Concentrating, Vontellius tapped into the ordered nature of his soul, its light unseen to any but himself shone upon his surroundings, angular line-based patterns began to etch themselves upon the magical darkness around him, their ordered nature eating away at the chaotic whorls of magic that powered this darkness.

Spending 1-Hold from Heritage to perform the move:
* End or weaken a spell or effect.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Fellbit: Seamus and Anya
Even Seamus feels his breath burning in his lungs after running the several miles back to Fellbit, Anya on his shoulders. The night guards recognise him and open the gate for him, allowing him ingress past Fellbit Steading's massive stone walls -- defences raised for a war in ancient history that may see use again. In search of aid, he strides into the first inn he finds.

It's late, but vampire hunters are night people almost by definition. Two dozen hardened men and women look up at his entrance, hands instinctively moving a little closer to weapons.

What will you say to win them over?

Phinrel finds Nalia and Sidney with his hands; the two of them are clinging together, and Nalia eagerly grasps at him as he finds them.

"It's coming for us," whispers Sidney. "I can feel its eyes on me."

And then Vontellius does... something, and Mote's jealous magic crumbles. Phinrel can feel the light's sheepishness, like a child caught in a bad idea and looking for an excuse to back down. Starlight returns to fill the area -- and then everything is suddenly a lot brighter.

--

In the moment, it's not clear quite what goes wrong. Maybe an uncovered exhaust vent or heated surface? A stray spark?

But covered in oil, Lawgiver slips free of the entangling vines and rises to its feet once more -- and then with a fwoosh is wreathed in a cloud of flame as the oil ignites. The one-armed vampire goes staggering back, trailing burning tendrils, and the other is clearly illuminated halfway between the treeline and Phinrel's little group, dragging itself forward on clearly broken legs.

What will they do?

The oil will burn out pretty fast, but it'll do 1 stress to the suit in the process. Or you can take action to try and extinguish it. But Lawgiver is free!

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

HP: 13/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 1 | Suit: A little dented also on fire | Defend 1
Lawgiver
Stress: 1/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Nonfunctional | Advanced Systems: Operational | Paintjob: Peeling in places

Light had returned thanks to tapping into some of the inherent order that suffuses his soul, however now Vontellius was very aware of the fact Lawgiver was on fire. Although it could likely deal with it without its own destruction, Vontellius loathed to leave his suit in any worser of a state than it is already in. With this in mind, the knight sort to end this blaze immediately.

Still on the floor, but free now, Vontellius attempted another ill-advised manoeuvre, but one that should hopefully pay off! This patch of ground was dry and dusty, as as much enthusiasm as the knight had shown with tearing vampires limb-from-limb, the group had not made much progress into the warren of leaves and broken trees - and with good reason, after all fighting in there would put them at a significant disadvantage. With this in mind, Sir Vontellius deployed the hidden blades that lay nestled tightly but shallowly within Lawgiver's frame, and began performing a dramatic rolling motion along the floor, tilting and spinning the suit about, a maneouvre with two ideas behind its implementation:
- The vampires will not be keen to attack while a whirring mass of razor-edged blades spins about haphazardly.
- The dust and muck will be kicked into the air, rapidly coating Lawgiver and putting out the oily fire.
Of having such a genius (or idiotic?) idea required quick thinking before anything else, the complexity of the instruments at the knight's command have been taken for granted in the past, but they are something that Sir Vontellius never forgets.

Defy Danger (Intelligence): 2d6+2 6

Assuming ofc this actually requires a roll! Also if it does then hey someone could Aid me y'know? :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus

I take a moment to glance over the room before speaking.
"Some of ye may know me. Ye know I'm here, like you, to purge the abominable vampire menace, and I'm telling ye now, there's a group of us, out in the woods got ambushed by a horde of the cursed things! I just brought back a little girl. Her family, and my comrades are still out there somewhere. Is there a one among ye who can join me in going back out to find them?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide

fire magic: 2d6+1 7

Raznik steps over to Vontellius, silently weaving another spell as he leaves a trail of blood from his tail in the dust. The dragon can belch fire, everyone knows that, but the dragon is also a devourer of all things that it covets. Gold, gems, power, even the magma that pumps up from the world's fiery heart. Tapping into the dragon within himself, Raznik opens his mouth wide, sharp fangs glinting in the starlight as the fire that is consuming his companion suddenly begins to flow into his mouth and down into his gullet. For all the world it looks like he is breathing fire in reverse, eating the flame in the truest sense. When it is all gone, he clutches at his chest, and Phinrel can see the glow that shines even through his robes, as if the fire is still burning within him, just underneath his scales. Smoke rises from his mouth and his nose, and his eyes are illuminated from behind.

I'm going to take the "attracts unwanted attention" drawback since Raznik is now lit up by fire, and "the spell will not last long" drawback since he's not going to be able to hold this fire inside himself for long.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 1/1 | XP: 4/7 | Load: 3/6

Seeing Vontelius under attack, and knowing Mote is inclined to be feeling helpful after doing something wrong Phinrel points to the knight. "Mote, he's in danger! Defensive maneuvers!"
The Lantern and the Light both move forward towards Vontellius, as they get close Phinrel takes hold of Mote and the light flows over him, covering him in it's glow. Phinrel reaches towards Vontellius and the light flows out from him and unto the knight as well, shielding them both.

Using Shield of Light to give Vontellius and I both +1 armor.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Lawgiver spins on the floor, kicking up a cloud of muck -- until the protruding blades catch on a buried tree root. The motors' strength is enough to flip the armoured suit clean over before safety measures engage and they cut out, leaving Vontellius lying on his back instead of his front but his position otherwise unchanged. Luckily Raznik is there, sucking the flames into himself rather than letting them burn Vontellius' suit. As he struggles to contain the fire, the vampire's predatory gaze flicks to him: smaller, weaker, less armoured... and already bleeding.

The vampire charges, blindingly fast, lunging past Raznik and heading for the tree-warren -- and sweeping a net of thorny tendrils behind it to snatch up the glowing kobold spellcaster as it goes.

If Raznik doesn't do something he's going to get dragged off!

The other vampire ignores all of that, instead stumbling forward on broken legs towards Nalia, Sidney and Phinrel.

"Run!" Nalia says, shoving Sidney behind her.

And then the vampire is on them, crippled but still dangerous, reaching out for Nalia with one hand and Phinrel with the other. What will he do?

A Bar in Fellbit: Seamus and Anya
"They're all dead," a woman says matter-of-factly. When she looks up at Seamus he recognises her: Raskun the Reviled. Deadly with any weapon, versed in any number of forbidden sorceries, and as black-hearted as they come. As a vampire hunter she is unsurpassed. As a human being... well, not so much.

"You went out with, what? Four? And found a family of let's say four, makes eight. And you came back as two, and hardly in the best of shape." She snorts. "Instead of going back out there, you should probably just kill yourself now. I know a good few uses for the blood of a suicide, any one of which will kill more vampires than you will in that shape."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus
"You wanna play it soft? I'll play it soft. You wanna play it hard? I'll play it hard." - Korben Dallas

I glare at the vile woman for a moment. Then, without warning, to a gaggle of surprised shouts, I lift one of the several long tables running the length of the room up and over my head, including the dozen surprised men seated at the attached benches.
Showboat 12
you keep their attention as they watch in amazement or dismay

"Ye want my blood, demon? Come and claim it!" I roar at the room, now entirely silent.
"Ye cowards came here to fight off the bloody fuckin' things, now get up off yer arses and come FIGHT! Or you'll all have bigger problems than the damned bloodsuckers, I swear it."
As if in punctuation, I release the table to crash back down in roughly the same place as before, my unwilling passengers none the worse for wear.

"Meet me at the gate in 5 minutes time with yer gear." I add, almost as an afterthought.
With that, I stalk back out into the night, slamming the inn door hard enough to crack the 8 inch thick oak, and echo across town.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 2/1 | XP: 4/7 | Load: 3/6
Phinrel jumps forward, into the vampires attack before it can grab Nalia. The Lantern trusts, or hopes, in Motes additional protection to spare him from the Vampire's attack. After all, Vontellius has gone through worse then this tonight and survived, so he should be able to handle this. He pulls the vampire into a tackle, breaking its momentum and stopping it from reaching Nalia. It's able to attack him just fine now.

Tackle the Vampire: 2d6+0 7

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide

With a belly full of fire and a net of thorns around him, Raznik panics, clawing and tearing at the net as he tries to escape.

claw a way out: 2d6+1 5
Welp

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm assuming Phinrel's action is a defy danger with Strength
The vampire's already hurt, slower than normal. As Phinrel tackles the thing he can feel its bones shifting, torso like a sack of marbles, and the two of them go crashing to the ground. But the thing is still impossibly strong; it claws at Phinrel's chest with one hand and catches his wrist with the other, locking his tunic in a grip like stone and grinding the bones in his wrist as it squeezes. For the second time tonight, he finds himself with a vampire's jaws almost at his throat -- what will he do?

vampire-related damage: 1d6+2 3

Meanwhile Raznik finds himself wrapped in a thorny net, bumped along the ground for a mercifully brief moment before the vampire takes a flying leap towards a nearby tree and proceeds to scale it one-handed without appreciably slowing down, heading for the concealment of the upper branches where it can enjoy its bite-sized meal in peace. What will he do?

And what will Vontellius do? He's got two allies in trouble!

Fellbit: Seamus and Anya
It's cold, waiting at the gate for five long minutes. One by one, a handful of hunters join you -- four men and two women, human or mostly so, armed and scarred and willing to choose Seamus' approach over Raskun's.

"Raskun doesn't like being threatened," one of the women mentions casually as she wanders up. Her name is Six; her skin bears strange whorls and markings like coloured glass. "You'll have to watch your back around here, if you survive."

"So..." Adric's natural good looks are hampered by the way he looks like he hasn't shaved or slept in several days. "What's the plan, big man?"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

HP: 13/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 1/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 1 | Suit: A little dented also on fire | Defend 1
Lawgiver
Stress: 1/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Nonfunctional | Advanced Systems: Operational | Paintjob: Dirtied and peeling

The systems on Lawgiver were robust, but sometimes flushing the arcane capacitance glyphs or breaking the fivefold resonance circuit was the best way forward. The flames were out but from what Vontellius worked out it seems that the others were in danger!

Vontellius worked quickly to get the appropriate systems back online as his suit rose back up to its feet. Reassessing the situation, Vontellius found that since then it had gotten largely worse, the kobold was being dragged away and the lantern was in a heap with another vampire.

Raznik seemed the most imperilled currently, being dragged off to a terrible fate is in the sum total of all things worse than being in a brawl with a vampire, albeit slightly. Also because Vontellius was more confident in his squire's capabilities than that of the fire breathing lizard man.

With that in mind Vontellius moved up suddenly to the base of the tree, if only his piston-powered jumping mechanisms had not suffered damage earlier, this would have made this easier. Nonetheless although at somewhat of a disadvantage, the knight had a trick up his sleeve, or more specifically Lawgiver's 'sleeve''. So it was a length of chain with each link holding a substantial curved/hooked individual blade extended from one of Lawgiver's arms.

Whirling the bladed chain whip about, Vontellius hacked away at a few branches as he calibrated the distances involved before lashing out at the vampire that was dragging the kobold up a tree, much like a big cat dragging some prey creature so it might dine in peace.

Hack and Slashing with Full Arsenal choosing the Reach tag.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2 13

Damage (Close, Reach): 1d8 6

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus

"Aye, she'll come for me or she won't. She wouldn't be the first, she won't be the last, and I'll admit the possibility falls somewhere between getting a hangnail and stale bread on my list of things to worry about right now. Regardless, I thank all of ye who decided to show up, come what may, you've shown courage tonight. Let's go."

With that, I bang on the gate to let the guards know to open them up. And our rescue team heads off into the night.

should I roll another Defy Danger to skip over to the scene? I figure I'll lead them back to the stream, and then we follow it until we catch the others' tracks. Maybe one of these hunters can help with that?
Also, we could fudge the timing to where everything I've been doing was before they reached the trees, and "now" is when I bust in with help. :v:

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 12/13 | Armor 2/1 | XP: 4/7 | Load: 3/6

Phinrel grabs at the vampires face with his hands, pushing as hard as he can and putting fingers into eyes. Whatever he can to try to keep the creature's mouth away from his neck and off him. The monster is far stronger than he is though, and manages to overpower him.

Wrestle a Vampire: 2d6+0 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide
HP: 10/16 Armor: 0 Heritage: 2 XP: 1/7

Raznik gets himself turned around in the net, looking up at the vampire as he gets a grip on himself. He feels the fire burning in his throat as he raises a clawed hand and weaves a spell of pain, calling on the power of the dragon as he attempts to conjure a spontaneous burst of flame upon the vampire.

fire magic: 2d6+1 8
Choosing the Near and Elemental (Fire) tags. For my catch I'd like to put someone in a spot (most likely Vontellius).

damage: 1d8 7
7 damage!

• Locked thread