Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wasn't entirely sure if this should go on Games or SH/SC, seeing it's mostly about a form of technology that was devised for TVs.

Surface-conduction electron-emitter display (SED) and Field emission display (FED) are/were a technology that would bring the advantages of CRT (no native resolution issues, instant rendering, etc) into the flat panel age and they had been in development throughout the 00's.

Yet, in spite of early promising results, nothing much came out of it. In 2010 Canon stopped developing SED while Sony, the big backer of FED, allowed another company to buy that patent portfolio in 2010. This company, AU Optronics Corporation from Taiwan, planned to release FED panels commercially for the big public soon after, but a mere year after the acquisition they halted development citing the technology not being ready for mass production.

Five years ago is an eternity in the technological world. I haven't heard about anything like this since then, however. Sadly, those two seems to be pretty much dead and nothing apparently came out as an attempt to evolve or replace those. I imagine because in a world now focused on 4K resolutions in LCD (and the differences between TN and IPS now becoming a selling point for the general public) there's really no place for those "weird" panels? What would be the market for them? Retrogaming?

Am I missing something or that much covers it?

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's dead jim. Its not coming back.

LCD and OLED are the future.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Just be glad OLED seems like it may survive. For a while there it seemed like the future was LCD panels and greyish blacks for eternity.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
SED got killed by a political fallout between Canon and Toshiba over who controlled the research group that was working on it. FED was cost cut as sony hemorrhaged money, and AU Optronics realized after buying it how much money new tech really costs, and stopped bothering.

OLED is basically going to be it for the consumer future, though SED or FED could both be resuscitated for certain applications (military mostly) as the screens will last a long, long, long time without suffering burn in or fade issues.

P.S. They both have/had grids of pixels controlled by individual transistors, so all the same native / non-native issues LCD's and OLED 'suffer' from also apply to SED and FED.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ah, well, that's what I wanted/needed to hear, EoRapot. I was under the wrong assumption that SED/FED didn't suffer from native resolution issues and would have been perfect as the all in one TV (modern + retro stuff), so I guess in the end those two fading out wasn't that big a loss.

There never will be an all purpose TV, will there? Keeping a monster CRT for old gaming is incovenient as hell, but welp.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Couldn't a good 4k display essentially function the same way in terms of resolution changes? I would think the pixels would be sufficiently small enough to not introduce any noticeable visual differences.

• Locked thread