Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also if they really gave a poo poo about security they would use freebsd, not netbsd

freebsd is the one that actually has 21st century security poo poo built-in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
But does it have an Alpha port

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yes

edit: not anymore

quote:

As of FreeBSD 7.0, support for the Alpha platform has been removed. The development of new Alpha systems has been discontinued by the hardware vendor; this combined with the widespread deployment of more mainstream 64-bit platforms, such as the AMD64 and Intel EM64T architectures, has resulted in significantly reduced user and developer community interest.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also if they really gave a poo poo about security they would use freebsd, not netbsd

freebsd is the one that actually has 21st century security poo poo built-in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
good operating systems have mandatory access control frameworks

this excludes netbsd from the class of good operating systems

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anymore updates on the security dick waving between FreeBSD and OpenBSD, I think the last was FreeBSD being the only one with some kind of DEP scheme in place?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the only thing openbsd protects you from is performance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

the only thing openbsd protects you from is performance

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i remember this shootout / audit article a few years back of all the free unixes. their main concern with openbsd was that the kernel and some of the core systems choked so hard on certain load patterns that it was trivial to deny service from a system if you knew which version of openbsd it was using

e: it might have been this one

http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 23, 2016

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i remember this shootout / audit article a few years back of all the free unixes. their main concern with openbsd was that the kernel and some of the core systems choked so hard on certain load patterns that it was trivial to deny service from a system if you knew which version of openbsd it was using

i don't think people were ever serious about hosting services on openbsd. it was more about the rad firewalling queuing, etc

problem: openbsd pf still runs on a single core

modern network speeds mean you can't possibly firewall anything with a single core. even a branch office has probably got a few 10G links.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

good operating systems have mandatory access control frameworks

this excludes netbsd from the class of good operating systems

its ca;lled "use a password",, ever heard of it mr. ITS guest user???

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yes

edit: not anymore

can't they just start with FreeBSD-7.0, pull the sources for each successive version, and end up running FreeBSD-CURRENT on Alpha?

(I kid, I work on an OS, I know that's not how it works)

(usually)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it's open source, so they can fix any issues that come up and submit patches, bringing alpha support for everyone

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
who the gently caress runs alpha these days

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
anyone who wants to use a production build of OpenGenera

from what I hear though the experimental x86_64 build for Linux and OS X works fine though, and runs many times faster than any Alpha ran OpenGenera, which was in turn was several times faster than any Symbolics hardware ever ran Genera

(this even though the x86_64 build of OpenGenera is literally the result of generating an assembly code dump during compilation and running that through a simple Alpha-to-x86_64 translator with only the most minimal optimization)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
im going to use it ironically op and there's nothing you can do to stop me

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
NO!!!!!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

from what I hear though the experimental x86_64 build for Linux and OS X works fine though, and runs many times faster than any Alpha ran OpenGenera, which was in turn was several times faster than any Symbolics hardware ever ran Genera

:nallears: enough about your lovely consumer hardware already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ooh it's probably been there for a while but there's a new webmail interface that looks real nice

• Locked thread