Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Had an oyster as part of a dim sum lunch last weekend;
it was a steamed oyster with "black bean sauce" (steamed oyster with a nice broth in the shell, a couple of tiny black beans and a couple of slivers of red chilipepper)
Had something like this before, but these oysters where huge and steamed a bit too long, so yeah. I guess I liked the stuffed duck feet better...

The all time favorite oysters had a Hollandaise foam and I ate them while I could watch the dude getting the next batch out of the water. That was fun.

My go to versions of oysters nowadays though, are definitely:
1. raw, with a nice (raspberry vinegar and shallot) vinaigrette
2. raw, with a squeeze of lemon and a tiny bit of fresh ground black pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Shooting Blanks posted:

A restaurant near me in Houston does what they call Carpetbaggers - no clue if this is common but I've never seen it. Cajun fried oyster on top of thick cut bacon with blue cheese, served on the half shell.

Not my photo, I've never been but this is on the short list of things to try soon:

"Carpetbagger" is usually a steak slit in a few places or butterflied and stuffed with oysters then closed up with toothpicks or twine. The oysters get a decent beefiness and the steak gets a nice juicy oyster flavor to it. Highly recommended.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

A restaurant near me in Houston does what they call Carpetbaggers - no clue if this is common but I've never seen it. Cajun fried oyster on top of thick cut bacon with blue cheese, served on the half shell.

Not my photo, I've never been but this is on the short list of things to try soon:

Dude. Let me know when, Ill get a day off to go try that for sure.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Oysters are the best god drat thing ever and I love all of them. Big ol blue points and skinny malpeques and itty bitty kumamotos and everything in between. Once it's a little warmer out, I'm gonna sit outside with a cooler of beer and a couple pounds of oysters and go to town on those bitches.

Don't rush when you shuck them or you'll end up with a bunch of scars all down your thumb like I did.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I love oysters raw with a splash of lemon and some hot sauce. I can literally eat my weight in them. I drive from my family beach house near Panama City to Apalachicola every summer and just spend the whole day eating oysters.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Jmcrofts posted:

I bought oysters and then I ate them.

I have the same taste as you. I'll add that I like a dash of mignonette on some. I can't tell poo poo about an oyster by looking at it. If what people say about them is true, I like them raw from cold water and fried from warmer water.

Usually I eat the first one with nothing on it or just one or two drops of lemon juice. Then I like to add dashes of this or that but not enough that you can't taste the oyster. I'll also be honest and say the few west coast oysters I've had here on the east cost I did not care for at all raw. Could have just been the travel time. They weren't bad, just briny and odd and not at all pretty tasting to me.

On the other side of the coin, a fried oyster poboy is a wonderful thing. No need to seek out a canadian oyster here. Big fat carolinas or chesapeakes or whatever is fine here.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

"Carpetbagger" is usually a steak slit in a few places or butterflied and stuffed with oysters then closed up with toothpicks or twine. The oysters get a decent beefiness and the steak gets a nice juicy oyster flavor to it. Highly recommended.

I've never heard of this. I must have this.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Secret Spoon posted:

Dude. Let me know when, Ill get a day off to go try that for sure.

Pick a day - I work from home and live like 15 minutes from there. Just need a heads up.

• Locked thread