Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lid posted:

Sorry to hear mate, i've had surgeries on both my eyes so know how much that sucks. It will get better soon.

I've also been in a room with Jon Jones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Having both gotten lasik and a Jones level eyepoke, I can attest that they feel quite similar. Only difference is that my eyes recovered in about a couple of days after lasik, whereas after the poke my sight was cloudy and it kept hurting for weeks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fatherdog will now be able to extract extremely specific posts from the annals of history (or his .txt file for stuff that he needs to repeat because all of our conversations are circular) with superb speed and accuracy the likes never before seen.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Okay, here are the categories from last year -

quote:

01.) Fighter of the Year (3 Votes)
02.) Mark Coleman Emeritus Award: PSP's Favorite Fighter (3 Votes)
03.) Fight of the Year (3 Votes)
04.) Performance of the Year (3 Votes)
05.) Knockout of the Year (3 Votes)
06.) Submission of the Year (3 Votes)
07.) Best Major Show (3 Votes)
08.) Worst Major Show (3 Votes)
09.) Round of the Year (3 Votes)
10.) Breakout Fighter of the Year (3 Votes)
11.) Most Improved (3 Votes)
12.) Upset of the Year (3 Votes)
13.) The Gilbert Yvel Award for Foul of the Year (3 Votes)
14.) The Cecil Peoples Award for Judging Incompetence (1 Vote)
15.) Best Division (1 Vote)
16.) The Joe Silva Brainfart Award - Worst Booking Decision (1 Vote)
17.) Dumbest Career Move (1 Vote)
18.) The Big Dan/Lil Kim Award for Refereeing Incompetence (1 Vote)
19.) Best Post-Fight Interview (1 Vote)
20.) Most Overhyped/Underperformed (1 Vote)
21.) The Yoel Romero's Poop Stained Shorts Award for Comedy in MMA (1 Vote)

Does anyone have suggestions for additions/subtractions?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I think I mentioned this in last year's thread, but worst fight of the year. Also least favorite fighter?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lloyd Boner posted:

I think I mentioned this in last year's thread, but worst fight of the year. Also least favorite fighter?

I don't like "Least Favorite Fighter" because the guys with really annoying personalities have to share space with actual rapists and murderers and you wind up feeling weird for picking the dudes that just irritate you a lot. Worst fight is a good one, and I think somebody suggested Schadenfreude of the Year so I think I'll add that too.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Edmond Tarvedyan Memorial "Schadenfreude of the Year" Award really has very little competition.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Runner-up is an insanely smug Luke Rockhold getting laid out by Michael Bisping, who repeatedly clowned him afterwards while Luke turns into the sorest loser I've ever seen.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think aaron cobb showing up massively overweight, not giving a gently caress and being a dick about it, and then being bodyslam KO'd by gerald harris is a contender in this category

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

chaleski posted:

Runner-up is an insanely smug Luke Rockhold getting laid out by Michael Bisping, who repeatedly clowned him afterwards while Luke turns into the sorest loser I've ever seen.

Bisping irritates the poo poo out of me but him sitting at the post-fight presser drinking beer and laughing while Rockhold got saltier by the minute was a moment of high comedy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Aye Doc posted:

i think aaron cobb showing up massively overweight, not giving a gently caress and being a dick about it, and then being bodyslam KO'd by gerald harris is a contender in this category

Hell MacGregor and Cruz deserve notice for being whipped by guys they never gave a shot to. There's plenty to go around.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Similarly Eddie calling Conor an 8 minute fighter and getting knocked out in the 8th minute.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

fatherdog posted:

Okay, here are the categories from last year -

Does anyone have suggestions for additions/subtractions?

If we're codifying it, can I suggest the name my wife came up with:

22.) The Edmund Tarvedyan's Head Movement Award for Best MMA Schadenfreude of the year.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fatherdog posted:

Bisping irritates the poo poo out of me but him sitting at the post-fight presser drinking beer and laughing while Rockhold got saltier by the minute was a moment of high comedy

That fight was upset of the year in all ways of interpreting the word upset.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That fight was upset of the year in all ways of interpreting the word upset.

Bisping being happy and winning fights certainly upsets me.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can we get a 2017 thread with a placeholder OP? I want to make a nomination from the Invicta card.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It completely slipped my mind, but Schaudenfruede of the Year could go to Cyborg for being insufferable all loving year, then pissing hot after repeatedly ducking the title shot she demanded

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Can we get a 2017 thread with a placeholder OP? I want to make a nomination from the Invicta card.

I'll make a new one soon, just post it in here for now

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

fatherdog posted:

I don't like "Least Favorite Fighter" because the guys with really annoying personalities have to share space with actual rapists and murderers and you wind up feeling weird for picking the dudes that just irritate you a lot. Worst fight is a good one, and I think somebody suggested Schadenfreude of the Year so I think I'll add that too.

Just pick Tyron Woodley

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fentry posted:

I'll make a new one soon, just post it in here for now

Invicta FC 21 Amy Montenegro vs Celine Haga
Nominated for MMA Comedy
Haga taps to an armbar half a second after the bell at the end of round 1; Montenegro doesn't get the win and fight continues. Haga chokes Montenegro unconscious at the bell in round 3; Montenegro wins the decision. That's right - this fight had a submission, a technical submission, and a unanimous decision.

Nominated for Referee Fuckery
Greg Franklin for overseeing ^^^^^

Nominated for Fight of the Year/Honourable Mention
Because it was cool as poo poo gumby girl grappling the whole way through in addition to the weirdness of the whole thing.

Invicta FC 21 Megan Anderson vs Charmaine Tweet
Nominating Tweet for some kind of comedy/schaudenfreude/lameness award for naming her backfist the "Sask Slap" (cuz she's from Saskatchewan, right? hue hue) after she got one TKO via backfist, you know, beacuse it's her special move now, and then spamming it like a hyperactive tween playing Tekken while Megan Anderson punched her face literally off.

UFC Fight Night 103 - Oleksiy Oliynyk
Sub of the year, ofc - Bottom mount ezekiel choke finish of Victor Pesta.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Worst Fight of the Year: Hisaki Kato vs Ralek Gracie - Bellator 170

Knockout of the Year: Paul Daley vs Brennan Ward - Bellator 170

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Duck of Death posted:

Yeah.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I guess the 2016 awards will die along with our previous leadership?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thrifting Day! posted:

I guess the 2016 awards will die along with our previous leadership?

If somebody makes up the thread I'll sticky it. Fentry has a list for each category in the OP - don't know if they're already planning on putting something together or not.

2017 version of this thread is up as well, if you haven't already seen it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
2016 MMA Awards voting is NOW OPEN

also, can anyone track down the 2015 results? I couldn't find it, but i'm also a doofus

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The Duck of Death posted:

Paul Daley being a solid fighter who completely screwed himself out of a good career will always be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

2016 MMA Awards voting is NOW OPEN

also, can anyone track down the 2015 results? I couldn't find it, but i'm also a doofus

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759551&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

• Locked thread