Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia posted:

I want more dates between Haru Shihoru and Mary Yume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The next season of grimgar will be nothing but various characters going out on dates with each other.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

The next season of grimgar will be nothing but various characters going out on dates with each other.

That's pretty much what I want tbh. Maybe also some home improvement for their picturesque yet rundown boarding house. They can make friends with/date the gobs, too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
oh, and more of the adorable hate-filled demon

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also more delicious moguzo food

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Given his cooking and figurine skills the party should probably invest their bounty gold into buying and running an inn. Itd be way chiller.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The backgrounds were gorgeous, and I never really minded a chance to appreciate them while a nice song played.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Just finished this. Good series with some annoying animation problems and I hope it gets a second season.

And, staying true to itself, Grimgar made sure to include one last "Yume's rear end featured prominently" scene in the finale.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Clarste posted:

Just intuitively, Yume would make a terrible leader and Mary would be double-traumatized if Haruhiro died, so Ranta does kind of make the most sense by default.

Yume and Mary would make good leaders and Shihoru could grow into a great one. They also have the huge advantage to be in positions where they can look at the whole of the battle and to be able to quickly intervene everywhere.

Ranta? Ranta would make a horrible leader given he actually can't communicate well nor understand people around him, and he is constantly in melee so can't actually see what's going on.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ranta seems like he understands people fairly well. He just doesn't really care.

He has a lot more insight on haruhiro than haruhiro himself does

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

Ranta seems like he understands people fairly well. He just doesn't really care.

A most important quality for a leader to have?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wasn't saying he'd be a good leader :v:

it'd certainly be interesting to see though. i think he has the ability, but not the personality.

haruhiro, meanwhile, takes being a leader very seriously, but doesn't really have much leading ability.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ninjewtsu posted:

i wasn't saying he'd be a good leader :v:

/shrug. In practice, not understanding and not caring to understand are the same thing

e. and nah, not arguing about this lol

Knorth fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arkeus posted:

Yume and Mary would make good leaders and Shihoru could grow into a great one. They also have the huge advantage to be in positions where they can look at the whole of the battle and to be able to quickly intervene everywhere.

Ranta? Ranta would make a horrible leader given he actually can't communicate well nor understand people around him, and he is constantly in melee so can't actually see what's going on.

Yume is even more terrible at communicating what she's thinking, and as I said Mary would be double traumatized by Haruhiro's death and possibly quit the business altogether.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

That's how people work, you have the least insight about yourself. However, Ranta has been clearly unable to understand pretty much anyone. That he has insights about Haruhiro doesn't mean he is not utterly wrong too.

Clarste posted:

Yume is even more terrible at communicating what she's thinking, and as I said Mary would be double traumatized by Haruhiro's death and possibly quit the business altogether.

Yume is actually not that bad as she pretty consistently is able to communicate with everyone but Ranta, and writing Mary off is neglecting how she grew up.

Hell, Yume actually gets able to comunicate with Ranta by the end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mary's growth strikes me as "you don't need to keep mourning forever, you can make new friends." However, if those new friends immediately die as well then that same message flips over into "you will live a life of constant suffering." Growth isn't a one-way street, and people don't magically become better people even given cathartic experiences. I would say she's showing a lot of potential but is still relatively fragile, emotionally. Her reaction to Haruhiro even attempting to stay behind to help them seemed somewhat telling to me. I mean, it's certainly not unreasonable, but dungeon crawling isn't a reasonable life in the first place. Not everyone's going to be suited for it, which is sort of the point of the story, at least in the beginning.

Yume... well, honestly I can't remember it all that clearly but she struck me as being incredibly bad at choosing the right words and expressing herself. She's honest and direct, but just not a good speaker. It's a matter of skill and practice. Other people have to stop think about what she's saying pretty much every time she talks, which is not something I'd appreciate in a leader explaining a strategy or giving orders based on split-second decisions.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yume, Moguzo, and Shihoru strike me as people with little confidence in their own decisions, and really need someone else to take charge. They might do well as the last resort, but Haru taking the initiative was a huge weight off their chests.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Phobophilia posted:

Yume, Moguzo, and Shihoru strike me as people with little confidence in their own decisions, and really need someone else to take charge. They might do well as the last resort, but Haru taking the initiative was a huge weight off their chests.

:thejoke:
(Replace the word 'joke' with 'show')

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

It was the same for Haruhiro though. He was 'chosen' to take over, but he is definitely not someone who wanted to be the leader and had to learn to be one. "Ranta is arrogant" is not the trait that would make him the best leader choice here.

Yume actually is decent at talking to people and get through to others, and she is decently smart and not the type to rush into death. Shihoru is really really good at taking things seriously and would make an incredible leader because she'll work her rear end off to be one. Mary would be pretty good mainly because she is the one they all already mostly look up to and she has decent experience as well as a great position for being a leader.

The reason Moguzo isn't a good choice is because he just wants to rush at people and because a tank shouldn't be the leader. Ranta is basically a Moguzo that also is super arrogant and has issues communicating. He is by far the worst choice for a leader, but he is Haruhiro's rival.

So Haruhiro chose him because as Ranta is his rival he has "strength" in Haruhiro's mind (also because he is a guy).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Might as well shed some light.

Yume would be a terrible leader. She actually is not very intelligent, but the main thing is that she is very risk adverse and against trying new things, when she thinks they have a good thing going. She is not too good at comuicating. She also holds grudges in some cases, for a while in the light novel she would always vote against any idea if Ranta was for it.

Shihoru would also be a bad leader. She is very passive and tends to just go for Yume or Haru's opinion on a matter. Haruhiro at one point realized his side would a win a vote because Shihoru was going to vote whatever he did. (He noticed that if he started to raise his hand she would too.) While Yume is gets in more shouting matchs with Ranta, Shihoru clearly hates Ranta more then anyone else in the group. (One of the few things she is vocal about is her hate of Ranta. At one pointing telling him to go kill himself.) In fact insulting Ranta pretty much the only time Shihoru's shy girlness goes away.

Moguzo is also very passive. Mary would likely quit the group if Haru died.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 21, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arkeus posted:

Shihoru is really really good at taking things seriously and would make an incredible leader because she'll work her rear end off to be one.

I don't think that has very much at all to do with being a good leader, and sounds more like a recipe for having a leader who's a nervous wreck that is always exhausted and breaks down whenever anything goes wrong.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Might as well shed some light.

Yume would be a terrible leader. She actually is not very intelligent, but the main thing is that she is very risk adverse and against trying new things, when she thinks they have a good thing going. She is not too good at comuicating. She also holds grudges in some cases, for a while in the light novel she would always vote against any idea if Ranta was for it.
I... pretty much disagree with everything there. She is pretty good at communicating, and holding grudges isn't bad. The only one in the team that doesn't hold grudge is Mozugo.

Being risk adverse is, in my mind, a great thing. for a leader.

quote:

Shihoru would also be a bad leader. She is very passive and tends to just go for Yume or Haru's opinion on a matter. Haruhiro at one point realized his side would a win a vote because Shihoru was going to vote whatever he did. (He noticed that if he started to raise his hand she would too.) While Yume is gets in more shouting matchs with Ranta, Shihoru clearly hates Ranta more then anyone else in the group. (One of the few things she is vocal about is her hate of Ranta. At one pointing telling him to go kill himself.) In fact insulting Ranta pretty much the only time Shihoru's shy girlness goes away.
Shihoru would be an incredible leader. She has issues with taking charge of other people and has big trust isues (in the sense she trusts people too much) but she is the one who actually think things through the best and is very decisive.

quote:

Moguzo is also very passive. Mary would likely quit the group if Haru died.
Being passive isn't bad, it's better than being the opposite, and Mary wouldn't quit the group if Haru died. Her whole arc is that it's actually part of life to have her friend dying and she should learn to still cherishes the moments she has with them.

Paracelsus posted:

I don't think that has very much at all to do with being a good leader, and sounds more like a recipe for having a leader who's a nervous wreck that is always exhausted and breaks down whenever anything goes wrong.

That sounds like a receipe for having a leader that's actually a leader instead of the mess that is Haruhiro actually.

Arkeus fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 22, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"I will vote for whatever haruhiro votes for" does not strike me as a decisive person. Being able to have an independent opinion on important decisions seems like a prerequisite to being a leader, before we even start talking about personality or ability to communicate

Taking your grudge to the point of "I will always vote against ranta, despite any reasoning" also sounds like a pretty big "lovely leader" warning sign.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Hi, there's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_RZwObQmc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nice. The music in this show is pretty good.

• Locked thread