Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

One of my grandads was a army quartermaster during korea. Served in france doing logistics.

The family business is specialty rubber molding, and during ww2 it became a shell factory. The same pressroom is still used today, which is pretty mindbending. Also like 200 yards down the road they found a trio of german spies and radios. I should try to search for it sometime.

My great uncle was a railroad guy in the army, i think. He went to kuwait during desert storm, now he does a public access show for the vfw

My great uncle on my other side was a navy firefighter. I think he was in vietnam, i havent seen him in like 20 years.

Also theres like a far off cousin of a cousin on my grandmothers side that got kicked out out the marines for doing, and i am quoting my mother after reading about another crime committed in the local paper, "some kinda gorilla steroid stuff that he was injecting into himself."

The crime that was in the paper was he got busted for voyuerism when a girl found him jerking off inside the wall of a tanning booth

usmc.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
My grandfather was a B29 pilot. He was in the air when Hiroshima was bombed and saw it happen.

After the war he flew in the Berlin Airlift and then helped some other officers smuggle a shitload of whiskey from Canada back to KI Sawyer in USAF aircraft.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

BIG HORNY COW posted:

My grandfather was a B29 pilot. He was in the air when Hiroshima was bombed and saw it happen.

How far away was he?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

VikingSkull posted:

Oh one of the family members I didn't talk about before is my mom's grandfather. I've had dozens of family in basically all the wars, most don't have cool stories.....but my great-grandpa might have the dumbest one. He was the definition of a wop, he was on an Italian freighter and jumped off in Kingston, NY. Spent a few years here in the States illegally before WWI broke out. The dumb fucker then left the US to fight for Italy, saw a bunch of mountain warfare against Austria-Hungary in miserable conditions and then came back to the US. Eventually got his citizenship, but what the gently caress grandpa. What the gently caress.

Actually the term you were looking for is loving awesome

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wife's grandpa is this guy, with the rakish long hair. These photos were in Life magazine.

Being a South African flying for the RAF means you get a rad callsign, ZULU :black101:

His life during the Battle of Britain was pretty much wake up early, eat breakfast, get in a plane and go shoot down Jerry, come back for lunch, get back in a plane and do it again. He has 18 kills in the air, and had 2 days with 5+ kills each (each of which earned him a Distinguished Flying Cross)
He got shot down once over England.
Then he got shot down again over England in flames, and was severely burned and blinded for 2 weeks.
Later he was transferred to Ceylon, and took off from the aircraft carrier over the ocean. He had engine problems right away, and didn't think he could make it to the airfield. So he turned around and landed safely on the carrier without any of the aircraft landing gear (tailhooks and whatever), and described the landing in the most :britain: way possible "Royal Navy was pleased with my efforts". Not long after, he got buzzed by a gang of Zeros and got to spend the night in the Ceylon jungle with a parachute blanket.

He wasn't a very respectable person after the war. We suspect the concussion and head injuries from bailing out in flames the second time scrambled his brains.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

How far away was he?

Dunno but he said it scared the bejesus out of everyone on board and they called it in on the radio.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I guess an inexplicable giant flash would be pretty disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My great grandfather joined the cavalry in 1914 and was part of the expedition to Mexico chasing Pancho Villa before going to France for World War I. My father owns a German carbine that he brought back from WWI. The story goes that my great-grandfather was out with an officer and they were walking around a train car, checking it out. A German hidden inside the car let my great-grandfather pass and shot the officer before being shot in turn and that the rifle belonged to that German. True? Bullshit? I don't care, we have a German rifle from World War I.

He stayed in the Army after the war and received a commission before the start of World War II and was sent to Europe again when the war started, ending the war as a major. Almost all of his sons fought in WWII as well.

My father once shared a story about how he learned about Europe in school and asked his grandfather if he'd ever want to go to Europe. "No," he said. "I've already walked across it twice."

• Locked thread