Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TigCobra
Oct 29, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The wife and I are currently planning a trip abroad and need to get passports. She has never had a passport so we assumed that she just needs to go through the standard process. I on the other hand have a passport card from about 5 years ago. Since you can not fly with a passport card I will need to get the passport book. Can I go through and fill out the renewal application and receive a passport book? Or do I have start from the beginning again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

TigCobra posted:

The wife and I are currently planning a trip abroad and need to get passports. She has never had a passport so we assumed that she just needs to go through the standard process. I on the other hand have a passport card from about 5 years ago. Since you can not fly with a passport card I will need to get the passport book. Can I go through and fill out the renewal application and receive a passport book? Or do I have start from the beginning again?

travel.state.gov has a neat little wizard to guide you through the process. You can even fill out the forms online and save as PDF to print

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
You need the book to renew. So you need to apply for a new first time DS-11.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/t...v=top-news&_r=0

Looks like passport applications are expected to take 50% longer this year (up to ~6 weeks), so just keep that in mind.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
My passport expires this year, but I have lost it at some point in the last three years. How do I renew without the original passport?

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Anya posted:

My passport expires this year, but I have lost it at some point in the last three years. How do I renew without the original passport?

You don't renew you need to apply for a new passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Anya posted:

Not to be a dick, but this is one of those super straightforward questions that's perfect for Google.

https://www.google.ch/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20to%20renew%20passport%20if%20you%20lost%20it

1.Complete a Statement Regarding a Lost of Stolen U.S. Passport Book And/Or Card (Form DS-64).
2.Complete an Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11).
3.Bring a recent, color passport photograph.
4.Provide proof of your U.S. citizenship and identity.
5.Pay any applicable fees.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/lost-stolen.html

And 6. write your passport number down somewhere, so at least you have that if you lose your passport.

• Locked thread