Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Fly Molo posted:

That's why Oilfield Fuckups is always hilarious!

And I finally got a non-oilfield job, barely dodging massive company-wide furloughs. Hellllll yessssssss

Congrats I am glad to hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

ch3cooh posted:

If anyone has specific drilling related questions I might be able to help.

Yeah, do you guys need a wellsite geologist? :v:

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Also, hello thread, I look at rocks in a comfy shack. I'm like a mudlogger, except mudloggers have to go get their own rocks to look at.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
How many times can a dead cat bounce?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

JohnGalt posted:

How many times can a dead cat bounce?

Oil isn't really a dead cat. It's more something that fucks over everyone that works in it once every 15 or so years.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Oil isn't really a dead cat. It's more something that fucks over everyone that works in it once every 15 or so years.

I was referring to the small (and short lived) price jump.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I work in the oil services and I heard hippies like being deckhands because there are 10 gallon buckets of dope, 15 foot joints, and a trip each day.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

So what caused the collapse in the price of oil recently? I've heard multiple theories including my favorite of "Its a US conspiracy to collapse the economies of Venezuela and Russia."

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I've seen so many company men explain away nasty chunks of metal, fiber, gel, etc. that comes out of a well with "oh, that's just pipe dope". Really? Cuz it sure looks like they didn't flush out the well properly.

Man Whore posted:

So what caused the collapse in the price of oil recently? I've heard multiple theories including my favorite of "Its a US conspiracy to collapse the economies of Venezuela and Russia."

It's my understanding that it's due to lots of supply, weakening demand, and a speculative bubble deflating. For years the price of oil has only gone up uP UP because people assumed that demand would only go up, and supply would only go down. Problem is, tight shale fracking techniques have massively expanded the available supply of oil, Saudi Arabia is fighting a war in Yemen so they need the money from producing more and more, and Russia is fighting in Ukraine so they can't afford to cut back either. OPEC is at its heart a voluntary organization, and none of the countries in it can afford to take a big revenue cut. At the same time, China's economy is imploding, Europe is stagnate, and the other developing markets aren't picking up the slack.

Suddenly that illusion that prices can only go up got shattered. And once that happened, people started seriously asking, "why were we valuing it at $100+? Why not $80, or $60? Why not $40, or $20?"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fly Molo posted:

It's my understanding that it's due to lots of supply, weakening demand, and a speculative bubble deflating. For years the price of oil has only gone up uP UP because people assumed that demand would only go up, and supply would only go down. Problem is, tight shale fracking techniques have massively expanded the available supply of oil, Saudi Arabia is fighting a war in Yemen so they need the money from producing more and more, and Russia is fighting in Ukraine so they can't afford to cut back either. OPEC is at its heart a voluntary organization, and none of the countries in it can afford to take a big revenue cut. At the same time, China's economy is imploding, Europe is stagnate, and the other developing markets aren't picking up the slack.

Suddenly that illusion that prices can only go up got shattered. And once that happened, people started seriously asking, "why were we valuing it at $100+? Why not $80, or $60? Why not $40, or $20?"

While this is somewhat true Saudi Arabia's massive price cutting has a lot to do with it. It was designed to cripple fracking for the next 10 years.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

I work in the oil services and I heard hippies like being deckhands because there are 10 gallon buckets of dope, 15 foot joints, and a trip each day.

And a pusher on every rig!

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Man Whore posted:

I've heard it's that established oil producers were not happy with American companies trying to cut into their business with fracking. And knowing that they operate on the basis that they are only profitable at high values, the traditional producers (mostly Saudi Arabia) ramped up production to create an over-supply and take the legs out of oil prices.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Investing thread thank you for posting. Sorry if you covered this earlier but I'm interested to know how you got into it

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Marenghi posted:

I've heard it's that established oil producers were not happy with American companies trying to cut into their business with fracking. And knowing that they operate on the basis that they are only profitable at high values, the traditional producers (mostly Saudi Arabia) ramped up production to create an over-supply and take the legs out of oil prices.

Exactly that.

The Saudis tried this a couple of years ago. They kept production high even though demand wasn't enough for that. Many oil producing Countries were mad at the Saudis for oversaturating the market. The goal was to shut down American production. Problem was, they hosed around too long before deciding to saturate the market and we (the Americans) had gotten a foothold strong enough to weather anything the Saudis could influence.

America is at the point where we are so efficient at deep well drilling, fracking and pipelining that our oil is cheaper than Arab oil when the market is stable. Obviously, right now is not the case of a normalized and stable oil market.

I work on a lot of wells and pipelines in SE Ohio, W Pennsylvania and N West Virginia. The amount and concentration of deep wells varies greatly. I've met a lot of local people that we call "mailbox millionaires" because of drilling and pipelining in their areas. There are areas where you can find active and productive wells every few thousand feet in every direction and all of them are linked together via underground pipelines.

The days of shallow drilling one well per site or well pad are over. We go deep, like 9-12 thousand feet with as many as six wells in one surface location or well pad. Once initial production weakens, after weeks, months or even years, sometimes we're able to frac the gently caress out of the area. Sometimes we can frac the area twice over time. Imagine a simplified tree upside down that is 12 thousand feet deep and 1500 feet wide... a well can get that complex.

The days of running naked steel 2-6 inch diameter pipelines are over. Even 12" pipelines are becoming less common. We're lowering in 16-42" lines now. The steel is 100% coated to prevent corrosion, shielded/padded to prevent contact with the material covering the line, even all of the back-fill over the line is filtered to create high quality back-fill. There's a line that will be laid during this year and part of 2017 that will come near my house as it travels across Ohio. It will be DOUBLE 42" lines and DOUBLE 36" lines. Some of the lines, similar to what I just mentioned, will be in service for 75+ years.

These pipelines will be used as storage when they are not transporting oil and gasses. No nation in the world has storage capacity that comes close to what we now have and we're just now nearing the middle of the window time frame of new pipeline mass installation.

Edited a few spelling errors.

SinJin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 23, 2016

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Marenghi posted:

I don't (and many analysts don't) buy the idea that Saudi Arabia is trying to target shale plays. Mostly because it is the most resistant to the kind of short term price pressure that Saudi Arabia is capable of inflicting.

Shale wells are not the long term investments that conventional Wells are. Most production is made during the first two year of the life of that well (payoff time can be as low as 6-9 months). Also, there are low barriers to get into the shale plays (low exploration risks) because it's almost impossible to drill a dry hole.

The only hope is that future operaters are significantly impacted by limiting future access to capital/credit. I have a hard time imagining that would be the case if oil was above $100/bbl.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

SinJin posted:

Exactly that.

The Saudis tried this a couple of years ago. They kept production high even though demand wasn't enough for that. Many oil producing Countries were mad at the Saudis for oversaturating the market. The goal was to shut down American production. Problem was, they hosed around too long before deciding to saturate the market and we (the Americans) had gotten a foothold strong enough to weather anything the Saudis could influence.

America is at the point where we are so efficient at deep well drilling, fracking and pipelining that our oil is cheaper than Arab oil when the market is stable. Obviously, right now is not the case of a normalized and stable oil market.

I work on a lot of wells and pipelines in SE Ohio, W Pennsylvania and N West Virginia. The amount and concentration of deep wells varies greatly. I've met a lot of local people that we call "mailbox millionaires" because of drilling and pipelining in their areas. There are areas where you can find active and productive wells every few thousand feet in every direction and all of them are linked together via underground pipelines.

The days of shallow drilling one well per site or well pad are over. We go deep, like 9-12 thousand feet with as many as six wells in one surface location or well pad. Once initial production weakens, after weeks, months or even years, sometimes we're able to frac the gently caress out of the area. Sometimes we can frac the area twice over time. Imagine a simplified tree upside down that is 12 thousand feet deep and 1500 feet wide... a well can get that complex.

The days of running naked steel 2-6 inch diameter pipelines are over. Even 12" pipelines are becoming less common. We're lowering in 16-42" lines now. The steel is 100% coated to prevent corrosion, shielded/padded to prevent contact with the material covering the line, even all of the back-fill over the line is filtered to create high quality back-fill. There's a line that will be laid during this year and part of 2017 that will come near my house as it travels across Ohio. It will be DOUBLE 42" lines and DOUBLE 36" lines. Some of the lines, similar to what I just mentioned, will be in service for 75+ years.

These pipelines will be used as storage when they are not transporting oil and gasses. No nation in the world has storage capacity that comes close to what we now have and we're just now nearing the middle of the window time frame of new pipeline mass installation.

Edited a few spelling errors.

would you say that there is a big problem with abandoned wells and pipeline leaks or have methods improved enough to largely deal with them?

Canada aspired to join the ranks of producers but our energy companies are all shifty, corner cutting, largely foreign owned marauders here to extract as much money from us as possible and they've had an utterly poo poo track record on this.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
I have a question! How are spacing units set for states that don't use PLSS/section-township-range? I am only familiar with North Dakota, and I am too lazy to dig through other state's websites.

I was a mudlogger in North Dakota for about 2 years before I got tired of the schedule and jumped ship to something much more interesting but still ND oil field related. I came to the oilfield on purpose, straight from college with a geology degree (not that you need one to mudlog lol) which I found set me apart from a lot of field people. The majority of them were there only because they couldn't find any work at home and turned to oilfield work because they saw it as their last option

I am one of those people who thought they were making way more $ than they really were at the time. I was working 12hr days for up to 60 days in a row (we didn't have rotations and the rig was poo poo slow) and I was making less than I am now in my 9-5 oil job. But I managed to save about 70% of what I made since I primarily lived on the rig and because I don't have a family/drug problem my cost of living was super low when I was on days off. Mudlogging was easy as hell though, and I got to learn a lot about rig stuff without doing much hard work

John Cenas Jorts fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 23, 2016

bootsy
Jun 29, 2010
I spent a year as a social worker for a government benefits agency in a state adjacent to TX with an economy dependent on the oil and natural gas industries. For so many poor, uneducated white guys leaving rural towns, oilfield work apparently about as good as it gets in this region. The sheer number of suddenly out-of-work dudes I interviewed every day was utterly depressing.

A job where you can make great money in exchange for physical labor and that doesn't require a college degree or even a diploma, for that matter? That's a dream come true. The problem is, none of them planned on the fickle nature of the oil industry and now they're screwed financially with wives, children, ex-wives and child support payments, truck payments, you name it... One week you're making bank and the next, you're applying for food stamps and Medicaid.

My question is this. Based on your experience, is there any awareness within the industry (amongst the lower levels) of how dangerous a game the job can be? Do roughnecks see it as a worthwhile gamble? "I can make some money and have a small chance of getting screwed in the long run," or is it simply a matter of "money right here, right now," with no future in mind?

Additionally, what's the best swear word/phrase combo you ever heard while working?

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

would you say that there is a big problem with abandoned wells and pipeline leaks or have methods improved enough to largely deal with them?

Canada aspired to join the ranks of producers but our energy companies are all shifty, corner cutting, largely foreign owned marauders here to extract as much money from us as possible and they've had an utterly poo poo track record on this.

No doubt there are companies out there that do poor work, I've seen it. It's a shame because one bad story will cause local residents to protest and refuse to let anyone come into their area. There are a few Counties (I'm only referencing the Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia area) that have bans on all drilling.

As for big problems with wells. The worst I've seen were three unrelated well pad explosions. (I was at these sights only after the incidents and after initial cleanup.) I recall one was pinpointed to a worker smoking a cigarette in a restricted area. To clarify a little, most modern well pads are 50-400 feet square, flat and all open. At most, a dirt berm will ring part of or all of the perimeter. Some pads have no restrictions on open flames. Some pads are off limits to all but the most essential personnel and have very tight restrictions on anything that could cause an ignition. Characteristics of pads vary a lot.

It's still too early to know for sure how mother nature will reclaim these modern deep wells. They are far below the water tables. Some are sealed off with massive amounts of grout and concrete. A few have been used to hold large amounts of potentially toxic drilling fluids collected from many other wells and tunneling/boring projects. My family and many others in our area are concerned about them. A couple areas have developed seismic activity from fracking. I have family members that have felt tremors several times a day.

Modern (under 40 years old) pipeline failures are very rare here. Government agencies and pipeline operators take any failures very seriously and work fast to fix them. They try hard to avoid bad press like that. There was a leak about 5 minutes drive from my home one year ago. A nature hiker walked into an area that smelled gaseous, was a bit wet/muddy and there were small bubbles purkulating over a 30 foot area. This was a rather large line and it was very high pressure. The area would have been devastated if it exploded. A nearby campground community would have been affected. Luckily, the bad joints (a section of pipe, usually 40 feet in length) were cut out and replaced. The contaminated ground was hauled away and replaced. The contamination stayed very close to the line. If I recall correctly, the failure was blamed on an area of damaged protective coating. The coating protects the steel from corrosion. I'm guessing the line is 30+ years old.

While planning to build new pipelines, we do occasionally discover very old and usually small lines that obviously failed in spectacular fashion long ago. Often, the locals usually have no clue about them, no one claims them and the local Government has no clue who installed them. Most old pipelines were laid right on the surface or about a foot down. New lines are now at least 7 feet deep.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sbaldrick posted:

While this is somewhat true Saudi Arabia's massive price cutting has a lot to do with it. It was designed to cripple fracking for the next 10 years.

Oh absolutely, I'm just of the opinion that they hosed themselves pretty hard since they didn't realize how bad it was gonna get. You don't get a $98 billion budget deficit on purpose. They probably thought they'd gently caress over frackers, Russia, and Iran since they would weather the storm a little better, they just didn't count on loving everybody ramping up production and crashing the price together.

It is having a long-term effect on the abilities of US frackers to ramp back up though, and expand operations when prices come back up. A lot of human talent and work experience is being lost as people find other jobs or leave the oilfield workforce. The workforce has been gutted pretty thoroughly, and while everyone says they're keeping the best and brightest, training new people will take a lot of time and money.

bootsy posted:

My question is this. Based on your experience, is there any awareness within the industry (amongst the lower levels) of how dangerous a game the job can be? Do roughnecks see it as a worthwhile gamble? "I can make some money and have a small chance of getting screwed in the long run," or is it simply a matter of "money right here, right now," with no future in mind?

Additionally, what's the best swear word/phrase combo you ever heard while working?

Not really, no. In some abstract way everyone I talked to was aware that things could go bad, but most everyone was thinking that any downtown would be temporary, and that they'd find a way to make ends meet. "It's gonna bounce back, it always has" was one of the more common sayings. Even these last 12 months as things slid from bad to worse, I saw a lot of guys buying brand new pickups and other flashy poo poo, because they were able to get work for a week or two and got one good paycheck. Ignoring the rest of the month(s) that they just sat around the shop making dick.

Hmmm, cockface, guttercunt, or chucklefuck, it's a three-way tie. One guy would start calling folks "peckerheads" when he got pissed off, but that was mostly funny because he was prissy as hell. One favorite joke was, "how does a Texan mom know her daughter's on her period? Cuz her son's dick tastes funny." There was a fuckload of arguments over how Texas is better, or Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Georgia, etc.

Nowadays at least, the racism has gotten (forcibly) toned down a lot. Every once in a while you still had a (usually older) hand go on a rant about how goddamn niggers are ruining this country! and if one tried to gently caress his daughter he'd shoot 'em both!, but for the most part things are pretty chill. The racism and sexism are more low-level nowadays, giving minorities and women a harder time if they gently caress up, and not giving them any second chances.

e: also cock-chugging thundercunt.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 24, 2016

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
A pipeline project we were checking on. One of the dozer operators was an (drop dead gorgeous) 18 year old woman.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fly Molo posted:

Oh absolutely, I'm just of the opinion that they hosed themselves pretty hard since they didn't realize how bad it was gonna get. You don't get a $98 billion budget deficit on purpose. They probably thought they'd gently caress over frackers, Russia, and Iran since they would weather the storm a little better, they just didn't count on loving everybody ramping up production and crashing the price together.

It is having a long-term effect on the abilities of US frackers to ramp back up though, and expand operations when prices come back up. A lot of human talent and work experience is being lost as people find other jobs or leave the oilfield workforce. The workforce has been gutted pretty thoroughly, and while everyone says they're keeping the best and brightest, training new people will take a lot of time and money.

They for sure didn't expect the price fight to go along as long as it has, plus the small wars they have been fight in Yemen and Iraq.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

It depends on the company. You get some one like OXY or Hess. I rarely hear about capped and abandoned wells leaking.

Now smaller ones are another story. There was a major blow out here about a month ago. Several square miles were hosed. People were evacuated for over a week, live stock and pets were dead. Houses were contimnated along with everything on them
H2S is a scarey mother.

http://m.lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2015-12-09/more-400-evacuated-after-gaines-county-well-blowout-fix-could-take-days#gsc.tab=0

The issue was not only was it a old well bit the relief and close valves as well as all the back ups were manual and not atomatic. So when the blow out happened even if some one had been standing right there it would of been physically impossible to close all of them off in time.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 24, 2016

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I've been trying to find more information about that Gaines County well for a while. It was CO2 flood and it blew out due to "casing problems." I can't figure out if that means the well was on production and developed a leak in the production casing that caused uncontrolled gas migration up the backside (a big part of well control is controlling the expansion of the bubble as it rises to the surface if the bubble is not allowed to expand it brings bottom hole pressure to surface) or if the gas somehow had a leak path to a shallow zone that a drilling rig hit before they had set surface casing and had BOPs on the hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Iran is getting into it because they lifted sanctions. Dunno the oil price is gonna go up for awhile. Read shale is profitable at $60/barrel.

Government looks after all holes in the ground. Customer uses the software for wellbore pictures they gotta turn in. There was something wrong one month and they joked about getting crayons to fix it to turn in.

If your thinking water tables, I think the oil is alot deeper and there's extra upper casing?

The wells are deeper than what the opening to Beverly Hillbillies shows you, where Jed can shoot an open flowing well open in the top soil.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 27, 2016

• Locked thread