Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Saoshyant posted:

Nice! Glad this project is taking off. What's the current total?

235 out of 683. If I can hit 50%, I'll be doing good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

That's... way more than I expected by now. Good job!

Is the stuff being stored on Archive.org or is that the plan later or what?

Yuu Morisawa
Oct 4, 2013

Watch Creamy Mami
The 3.74 update made me realize that I was locked out of the account I was using for at least several months and I had no idea until I tried to setup 2FA

I didn't invest much money into the account so it was not a huge loss at least

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1608290662440660992?s=46&t=Zueeb96wVLhY9dKEbGAXEQ

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Vita is not dead. I'm playing Severed on mine and I'll be out of town next week so I'm taking the vita and playing the Lego movie the videogame.

I'm just trying to finish all my ps+ vita games before I 'retire' my system and start using a Playstation portal later this year.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I haven't played in a while but I won't give it up. I'll try to boot it up later and see if it still works.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mine is still a Persona 4 Golden machine with the occasional Playstation classic and Minecraft thrown in but I take comfort in knowing that I can always replace the battery and crack the whole thing into a super-emulation machine and play Ocarina of Time on the go.

Sony not doing the last ditch thing and giving the Vita PS5 remote play capability was a crime. I guess they had Portal in the planning but what a slap in the face of Vita owners goddamn.

E: Like Sea of Stars could've been a native Vita game and would've been a perfect PS5 remote play game, but no.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I just gave mine a new (old stock) battery and good thing too because it was starting to swell.

I still use it for emulation, i'm playing the pc engine CD version of rondo of blood and it's perfect. really, anything 8 or 16 bit runs pretty much perfectly, plus psp / ps1 / a bunch of n64, it's just great. the oled has an almost crt-like effect on old games, it's just a great piece of hardware done dirty by the suits.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I still use mine all the time

Right now I'm reading The House in Fata Morgana on it, and afterwards I think I'll flip a coin and see if I start the English translation patch for Trails in the Sky, or play Suikoden since one of my friends won't stop bugging me about how good Suikoden is

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm waiting on an OLED vita to ship. The Vita is alive and well in our hearts

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Apparently netflix will stop working on vita on October 16th.

Everyone is gonna say 'vita had netflix???'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ineffiable posted:

Vita ha- aw gently caress.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

I knew it HAD it.

Did not know it somehow STILL had it.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I still use it for emulation, i'm playing the pc engine CD version of rondo of blood and it's perfect. really, anything 8 or 16 bit runs pretty much perfectly, plus psp / ps1 / a bunch of n64, it's just great. the oled has an almost crt-like effect on old games, it's just a great piece of hardware done dirty by the suits.

Yeah mine is primarily a Symphony of the Night machine (I have yet to find a better way to play SotN, the screen and sleep function are just perfect and the PSX version is my fav) but I dip into Soul Sacrifice Delta, Dynasty Warriors 8, the PSP Armored Cores, Dangan Ronpa, etc. here and there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You know, Soul Sacrifice Delta is neat and all but there's something about the game's lack of feedback that rubs me the wrong way. I never know if I'm doing a good job, if I'm actually hurting the creature, if the damage type I'm doing is correct, if I should be changing tactics/spells/whatever. I just sorta do stuff until the thing dies or I do.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

You know, Soul Sacrifice Delta is neat and all but there's something about the game's lack of feedback that rubs me the wrong way. I never know if I'm doing a good job, if I'm actually hurting the creature, if the damage type I'm doing is correct, if I should be changing tactics/spells/whatever. I just sorta do stuff until the thing dies or I do.

Yeah. About your only way to make visible progress is through destroying Ill-Cursed Parts and triggering Elemental Hells since nothing really changes behavior like a Monster Hunter target. That said, changing offerings is usually pretty clear- if you're having a hard time landing a certain kind of Offering or keeping up in a fight, swap it out for a different type.

There are very few Offerings I feel are evergreen for every fight- swapping your loadouts to deal with the challenges of the current target is very important. Some enemies are super mobile and are are prone to tripping trap-style offerings and can be tracked by homing, some are really sturdy and need to be knocked out of dangerous moves before they happen, asking for heavy hitters with a lot of oomph, etc. A lot of fights will be hard to clear until you figure out the kind of loadout you want for it. If you're not playing a blood-focused build, I'd prepare to keep a sizable suite of Offerings up to date and be ready to farm a bit in the face of some hard fights to get the right tools.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2023

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah I was struggling until I started aiming for Ill-Cursed Parts. Destroying them increases the rewards you get, so you want to do it anyway. My bread and butter is Explosive offerings because number go up!!!!

It's a real bummer the servers aren't up anymore. We probably could've gotten some goon action going.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Soul sacrifice is one of the best co op experiences I've ever had and it's a shame it hasn't had a console rerelease

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It was basically the only good thing to come out of Comcept (well, Sweet Fuse was nice enough too) lol

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i've been meaning to get into it, you can technically still play co-op through xlink kai. i should see if there are any active discords.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you're willing to overclock, you can now play Hollow Knight on your Vita:

https://github.com/PatnosDD/Hollow-Knight-PsVita

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm hunting for a Vita, what's the concensus about the 1000 vs 2000? Iirc the 2000 has micro USB and 1gb internal memory and the 1000 has better screen? They're both about 100€ from a trusted seller with warranty and I'm eyeing which one to pick for CFW and portable gaming.

Are batteries easy to replace for future proofing?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
This might sound harsh but in this day and age the OLED screen is the main reason to pick up a Vita. You're going to want an SD card with SD2Vita for storage anyway and I've never had a problem with the 1000 connector.

I haven't replaced the battery yet myself (I have two 1000s, presumably from 2013ish, and both still have OEM batteries and play fine, I recommend airplane mode) but I have some backups on hand and by all accounts it's not difficult to replace. Leagues easier than monsters like the iPod or Steam Deck at least.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Get a 1000 and aim for a 3G model so you can use PSVSD instead of an SD2Vita imo. I always find them a bit fussy and it leaves the cartridge slot free for legit carts.

The only downside is encasing the microSD card forever and doing all the management of files on that over USB or FTP but it’s 2024 and giant microSD cards are practically being given away so who cares.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
buy both a 1000 and a 2000

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

orcane posted:

buy both a 1000 and a 2000

This, but if not, then get a 1000, that screen is :kiss:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like the 1000 for the screen is winning. I guess I'll need a proprietary memory card will be needed for the initial CFW setup, right? That's gonna be the fun part I guess. SD2Vita is easier to get nowadays at least in here.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
they got max Payne and gta trilogy working now

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that with the android translation thing? Or decompilation ports? Because I thought those games were already working?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Guillermus posted:

I guess I'll need a proprietary memory card will be needed for the initial CFW setup, right?

nope! the 1000 model has 4gb of built in storage, another point in its favor.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm pretty sure you need a memory card to hack the 1,000. Do some more googling because I honestly can't remember. I have a 1,000, and I bought a memory card. But maybe I didn't need to?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You don’t anymore, there are tools to use the hidden onboard storage on the original models.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

nope! the 1000 model has 4gb of built in storage, another point in its favor.

Late reply but thanks! I'm still looking for a good one to pick up

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Vanillaware games on the OLED Vita are amazing, but the screen is just too small to really appreciate the art.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Asteroid Alert posted:

Vanillaware games on the OLED Vita are amazing, but the screen is just too small to really appreciate the art.

Speak for yourself. It's not possible to truly appreciate the art in Dragon's Crown except on a handheld.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
more than a handful-held

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Just diving back in to the hacked vita experience after a few years not keeping up...

Is there a list somewhere of ports that are fully functional (no frequent crashing, not in progress/ demos)? Excited to check out san andreas and blood, and maybe even Fallout - though i cant imagine that is a good experience on such a tiny screen.

As a bonus question are there any recommendable dungeon crawlers that arent full with creepy anime titty girlies? I am looking to check out some of the games that came out towards the end of the console life - so far on my list to check out is just soul sacrifice. Is there anything else worth checking out? (Not a VN fan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Science_enthusiast posted:

As a bonus question are there any recommendable dungeon crawlers that arent full with creepy anime kitty girlies?

Damascus Gear
Darkest Dungeon
Digimon Cyber Sleuth