Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Was I imagining it, or do (some of?) the trucks in ATS have a proximity sensor that beeps if you’re about to crush a car when you’re turning?

If I wasn’t imagining it, has some bright sod modded it into ETS yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Was I imagining it, or do (some of?) the trucks in ATS have a proximity sensor that beeps if you’re about to crush a car when you’re turning?

If I wasn’t imagining it, has some bright sod modded it into ETS yet?

It's definitely a thing, my high-end Volvo has it! I feel like certain trucks in ETS must have it too but I'm not certain.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It's an option in the settings, don't remember the name but it's around the cruise control erm controls.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Thank you both, I’ll have a look later!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

It's definitely a thing, my high-end Volvo has it! I feel like certain trucks in ETS must have it too but I'm not certain.

I can verify the Scania S has it.

Is it just me or is ETS2 just more crashy lately? I've been trying to plow through the Balkans events but man is it getting tedious to restart the game after every job.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Kilonum posted:

Is it just me or is ETS2 just more crashy lately? I've been trying to plow through the Balkans events but man is it getting tedious to restart the game after every job.

I started having crashing problems after the West Balkans update in ETS2 too. The only thing I could get it to stop crashing was running in opengl mode. I have no idea why that fixed it.

ATS has had no crashing problems. I've been running some multi hour marathons in it recently and it has been peachy keen.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I exclusively play in VR and can't recall the last crash. Of the software. I crash my truck into enemy vehicles all the time.
Also finally finished the Euro event, had to keep warping to other cities since the available deliveries were just back to where I started and so wouldn't count.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The Christmas event is active and it's a bit more involved than last year's!

There are five unique depots in WINTERLAND, which is a special map made for the event. You have to deliver special Christmas goodies to or from each one, then complete 15 deliveries to or from them in total. You enter/leave Winterland by accepting one of the event's jobs and then driving to a portal marked by a swirl/snowflake. Most of these seem to be outside towns/cities at service stations on the main map. The community goal is similar to last year's, where each city has a certain amount of deliveries to reach, visible on the map when picking a job.

Winterland is, naturally, snowy, complete with its own driving physics, so you move much slower than normal and are liable to slip around a bit. It's cute and it looks great, possibly a test run for implementing seasonal weather in the main games? That said, there's no traffic and it's fairly small, so I won't be in a rush to complete my personal goal. Also, getting up to the mountain resort is a real slog.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
They put some real effort into this event and it shows. Great job overall.

There's even a tracker on the World of Trucks website showing how many christmas cargo runs people have made to or from any given town.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The Christmas event is active and it's a bit more involved than last year's!

There are five unique depots in WINTERLAND, which is a special map made for the event. You have to deliver special Christmas goodies to or from each one, then complete 15 deliveries to or from them in total. You enter/leave Winterland by accepting one of the event's jobs and then driving to a portal marked by a swirl/snowflake. Most of these seem to be outside towns/cities at service stations on the main map. The community goal is similar to last year's, where each city has a certain amount of deliveries to reach, visible on the map when picking a job.

Winterland is, naturally, snowy, complete with its own driving physics, so you move much slower than normal and are liable to slip around a bit. It's cute and it looks great, possibly a test run for implementing seasonal weather in the main games? That said, there's no traffic and it's fairly small, so I won't be in a rush to complete my personal goal. Also, getting up to the mountain resort is a real slog.

Yeah, this is really neat. Even if it isn't perfect, I'm glad they did something a bit different this year. And as you say, it would be SUPER cool if this was a test for weather effects in the main game.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
And it opens the way for an April Fools' Day gag about deliveries to Skyrim or something. :v:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I still genuinely want an inexplicable non-event fantasy map. You're still driving regular trucks, but it's across the loving Planes of Huy'thago The Firegod or down the Floating Highway of Meztadrevu's Menagerie and poo poo like that, and you're delivering gloranges and elven furniture.
Edit: if you drive orcish pallets into regular earth Europe your truck gets blown up by a predator drone.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 17, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just bought ATS since it was on sale. It's been years since I Euro-trucked (I checked and the last page I had seen itt was from 2017!). That being said, as ATS is listed as 'Verified' for Steam deck, are the controls normal at all, or will I have to majorly mess with them to get something good?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use the standard controls and they make sense.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I use More Truck Controls 3.1, I think I remapped stuff I didn't use like throttling and made sure my turn signals were properly mapped, like a very cool person.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
They confirmed that Missouri is the next state. So Abe Simpson will not be happy. :v:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

Anybody really into Euro Truck Sim 2? The modding world? The ongoing AirGoons DCS campaign has an opportunity for an ETS2 tie in, with a modded South America map but the barrier to entry is pretty high for most of us who haven't ever navigated the mess of dlc and mods and installs and stuff.

Some details here!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post536641828

cross-posting lookin for some help navigating the mod stuff or some folks who want to truck against the encroaching Chinese forces in Tierra Del Fuego.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Next expansion after Greece will be the Nordics. That’s cool, they’re getting good at realistic sceneries, though Czechia and Poland are horribly outdated at this point, as is the UK.

On that front, they’re pushing forward with the Germany update and focusing on the Rhine-Ruhr region. The latest Steam update shows Dusseldorf, where I lived for a while and the vignettes they’ve shown were 1:1 renditions of real places downtown and around the airport. Impressive!

Kinda wishing some day for the FS2020 1:1 real world treatment.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Pretty funny releasing a "nordics" DLC when they already have a Scandinavia DLC. Whatever, it will be cool.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Pretty funny releasing a "nordics" DLC when they already have a Scandinavia DLC. Whatever, it will be cool.

There are several important differences between the two. That said, I just hope they will do the scenery justice.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Promods has some stellar sceneries for Iceland and the Faroes

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Ooh, didnt know about Promods.
I bought like 6 new states for ATS a few weeks back, so I can install Promods Canada for even more truckin.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Even downloading Promods is a venture into insanity so venture with caution.

Likewise scenery quality ranges from “obsessive guy’s backyard modeled painstakingly on a scale of 1:1” to “holy poo poo, the game’s engine was not meant to simulate off road trucking in the Yukon/Siberia/Moon”

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mokotow posted:

Next expansion after Greece will be the Nordics. That’s cool, they’re getting good at realistic sceneries, though Czechia and Poland are horribly outdated at this point, as is the UK.

On that front, they’re pushing forward with the Germany update and focusing on the Rhine-Ruhr region. The latest Steam update shows Dusseldorf, where I lived for a while and the vignettes they’ve shown were 1:1 renditions of real places downtown and around the airport. Impressive!

Kinda wishing some day for the FS2020 1:1 real world treatment.

1:1 would really suck in a land vehicle though. Even the maps now are at the very edge of tolerability.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Star Trucker has a demo in the current Steam Next Fest. Seems interesting if the idea of space trucking appeals. Has some bugs (there's one cold area that the in-truck heater only works to counteract some of the time, a few blocked cargo drop off points, battery and fuel wear seems too high, needs an FOV slider), but the bones of something cool are there and I really like how it's doing the full on "trucks but in space" deal.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Okay, important safety tip for those trying out the Space Truckers Demo: Make sure your truck is fully stopped before attempting a space walk.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

We can’t ghost ride the whip?
:argh:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Soo in ats I got a 1500 fine for driving in a national park... That was a little bummer my workers will have to work harder now to make up for it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Both base games of ATS and ETS are on sale for $5.
I enjoy ATS but is there any reason to get ETS also?
I guess maybe for a change of scenery.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't played ets since ats came out..... But at least you can go to ausfart in ETS

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have both and I kinda like switching to the other when I get bored - a change of scenery thing like you said. If you're used to ATS, ETS will probably seem really slow and much less detailed in terms of its map though. Of the base map, Germany and Austria have been remastered (a new Switzerland is coming), but other parts are painfully dated, especially the UK. You'll also have to get used to not being able to turn right at a red light, traffic lights being placed differently and speed cameras being a thing, but that stuff might provide some new fun new challenges.

I find them both really fun to just chill and explore with though, especially if you get one or two map DLCs as well (Going East is dated too, Scandinavia onwards is a marked improvement for ETS).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Speed cameras just means that my workers need to work harder to cover my fines.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

tater_salad posted:

Speed cameras just means that my workers need to work harder to cover my fines.

:hmmyes:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drive fast enough and you come out ahead, surely

And yeah ATS is better imo, but eventually you’ll hit a point where you’ve seen every state and want a change of pace (but not such a big change that you’ll stop playing a truck simulator)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

IMPORTANT NEWS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQlqmU6UlAQ

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well poo poo I have fanatec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Amazing how easy it is to fall into a zen-like state in this game, even after not playing it for awhile.

Was driving from London to Paris, and the radio auto-tune mod had me connected to a British talk station. I got to hear some English boomer complain the host of "Mens-only spaces where men can be free to conversate outside the domination of women." The host pushed back and drilled down until he arrived at the conclusion the guy just wanted to bitch about women without being challenged. Then the host took calls about the salaries of NHS nurses, the condition of Kate Middleton, and Crocs (the shoes).

Then I landed in Calais and got a French pop station. This game rules so much. Are there any must-have extensive mods that expand gameplay (buses, etc) or improve cityscapes? I really like the cross-country aspect; the business sim is secondary. I saw ProMods was recommended but I don't have any of the DLC (yet) looks like that's being discussed upthread. Sorry!

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 23, 2024