Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right
I've always been fascinated with these guys. Recon teams made up of a few Americans and some regional soldiers wearing sterile or enemy gear, using unconventional weapons and equipment, landing under fire, extracting under fire and generally doing all of the hosed up secret war poo poo you hear about in movies.

I've made a somewhat disturbing observation about them though. In all the pictures of their gear, they ALWAYS have a gas mask. ALWAYS. A group of men who forgo bringing food in order to save weight or make room for a few more magazines, yet they always bring their masks. Nobody ever talks about them, they just always had em.

My thought is this, were the MAC-V SOG guys using chemical weapons? We have acknowledged the use of defoliants (Agent Orange) but I feel like there may be more to this story. Agent Orange was found to have a super toxin in its make up. I wonder if these guys were having a suped up version dropped as a support weapon.

Anyone have thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iverson
Apr 25, 2012
truly some ghoulish, conspiracy-mongering forums

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
MACVSOG wrote this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure my mom's uncle was MAC-V SOG. He was a Marine, retired Colonel I think at the end. Started in WWII, went to Korea, then got detached to Vietnam in 64 and 65. All he would say about it was he was training indigenous people, and when he died and his family looked up his records that part was just blocked out. Some random nonsense, but he had pictures of his time there and he wasn't the type to lie.

:iiam:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

MAC-V SOG ROLE CALL

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
my dead gay uncle

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
yeah they were loaded up on pre mission MREs and then farting in the bush

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They won the American Revolution. The secret one.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
MAC-X best MAC

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Faaaaaaarrrrrrttt

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was MACV-SOG op, and the reason we always brought gas masks was because it was a really funny running prank

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The swapped out the charcoal filters with a complicated micro bong and sealed the smoke into the mask.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

squirrelcop posted:

I've made a somewhat disturbing observation about them though. In all the pictures of their gear, they ALWAYS have a gas mask. ALWAYS.

SHOW US THE PICTURES! Were the gas masks laid out on a blue tarp?? My uncle was a green baray kernel whose records were navy SEALed by raygun, I'm with you, brother.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
This one time, in 'Nam, I made a hat out of Charlie's ears.

-a SOG Marine

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
It is me. I am MAC-V SOG.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpbv4oCv100

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
loving el oh el

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

PC-V SOG is better.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
CUC-V POG

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
all MAC-V SOG records were sealed by Ronald Reagan I'm a Green Beret Colonel and I'll fuckin kill you

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
mgs-v sog

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The swapped out the charcoal filters with a complicated micro bong and sealed the smoke into the mask.

This is probably true.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

No man, they were too drunk on cheap beer and Crown Royal to wanna throw weed in the mix. You ever get the spins while out in the bush getting hunted down by Charlie?

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

squirrelcop posted:

My thought is this, were the MAC-V SOG guys using chemical weapons? We have acknowledged the use of defoliants (Agent Orange) but I feel like there may be more to this story. Agent Orange was found to have a super toxin in its make up. I wonder if these guys were having a suped up version dropped as a support weapon.

Anyone have thoughts?

"Agent Orange" (which is actually a term used to describe a wide array of tactically deployed defoliants, to include 'Agents" covering the whole rainbow) was not a chemical weapon and it's not like we ever hid the fact that we were using it. gently caress, we sprayed it along the DMZ in Korea and around the Air Bases in Thailand. Operation Ranch Hand, the name of spraying operations, were run by the Army Chemical Corps without a great deal of secrecy. The only reason it was controversial was because it was difficult to prove that health effects arising 20-30 years after the fact were the result of possible exposure to it. And actually, it was a contamination with dioxin in some of the mix that might have been the cause, but it's hard to prove forty years after the fact.

Bu that said, the use of chemical weapons in Vietnam is not something of public record. There's always been rumors of special ops using nerve agents (see. e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tailwind ) and there's been reports from U.S. Soldiers who defected during the war that chemical weapons were used on them. But it's difficult to take anecdotal reports of war crimes without evidence as credible.

Most likely, special operations recon forces had gas masks as a standard piece of kit as a "just in case". Food is something that you wouldn't need in a firefight and could be foraged on the move, where as being caught without a mask when up against even tear gas could quickly compromise the mission.

Seriously though, while a lot of poo poo happened in Vietnam, you had a large force of draftees who didn't want to be there doing to majority of the fighting. If there were any big conspiracy to cover up war crimes by U.S. forces, you would likely have thousands of resentful pissed off vets pulling documentation out of their asses to prove it, prison be damned.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

cult_hero posted:

Food is something that you wouldn't need in a firefight and could be foraged on the move, where as being caught without a mask when up against even tear gas could quickly compromise the mission.

If there were any big conspiracy to cover up war crimes by U.S. forces, you would likely have thousands of resentful pissed off vets pulling documentation out of their asses to prove it, prison be damned.

What loving planet are you from

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Zeris posted:

What loving planet are you from

probably europe

squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right

cult_hero posted:

Seriously though, while a lot of poo poo happened in Vietnam, you had a large force of draftees who didn't want to be there doing to majority of the fighting. If there were any big conspiracy to cover up war crimes by U.S. forces, you would likely have thousands of resentful pissed off vets pulling documentation out of their asses to prove it, prison be damned.

This is a really good point. I hadn't thought of that angle. I think that the SOG guys were operating in such an isolation bubble that they could probably get away with it.

Perhaps another argument against the use is the lack of accusations from Vietnam, China and the then Soviet Union.

The gas mask is still an oddball item in a gear list that consisted of clothes and things that kill

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

squirrelcop posted:

The gas mask is still an oddball item in a gear list that consisted of clothes and things that kill

Every gear list has oddball items.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
op you should provide some pictorial evidence of your claim then we can discuss the topic further :tipshat:

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
Just read "Secret Commandos," a MAC-V SOG guy's experience of 3 years in theater, and it makes total sense. The MAC-V SOG guys knew that the VC/NVA rarely had their own gas masks so they would carry CS (tear gas) grenades with them. When you need to break contact and get the gently caress away from a larger element CS can be really useful. They also used other cool things like hand grenades with 5 minute timers so that as they broke contact the grenades would go off well after they were gone, further slowing any pursuit. So no, there was no nefarious conspiracy, it was guys knowing their enemy's equipment shortcomings and how to best exploit it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Why would you need a gas mask if you're breaking contact from CS gas also CS gas in the open uhhh

• Locked thread