Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Resty Devvies is a long-running British sitcom, soon beginning production on its much-awaited 35th season. It tells the story of the Bluthtons, a formerly wealthy family who lost everything, just trying to hold onto the last of their title and land. Its lead character, Mickey Bluthton, must keep them all together, lest the Queen revoke their nobility. This struggle leads to many misadventures and hilarious situations. But Mickey must also protect the innocence of his son, George-Mickey “Jo-Jo” Bluthton, from his corrupt and scheming family, especially his mother Lucius.

It is written and created by Michael Hurtwitz. It is aired on Sky TV in the UK, and can be found on Netflix in the U.S. and Canada.

The cast:

Jason Statham as Mickey Bluthton – The moral heart of the family, Mickey tries to stop their crazy schemes for money and power before the Queen revokes their title. Mickey often has to stand up to his mother, Lucius, the family’s manipulative and powerful matriarch, but sometimes finds himself drawn into her webs of deception. His son, George-Mickey, is the most important person in the world to him. He does whatever it takes to keep the boy in the dark about the family’s wacky plans and plots.

Michael Sarah as George-Mickey “Jo-Jo” Bluthton – Mickey’s son, Jo-Jo is a lot less innocent than he first seems. While his father tries to stop him from learning of the family’s activities, Jo-Jo tries to hide his bisexuality from his father, always working not to be caught with his boyfriend, a young man referred to only as “Egg.” Egg is never shown on-screen, and it is a running joke that he may be entirely made up. Jo-Jo also has a crush on his cousin, Funky May.

Sir Jeffrey Tambor as “King” George Bluthton – Played by legend of stage and screen Sir Jeffrey Tambor, King George believes he can restore the family’s wealth and power through accounting crime. But the truth is that he is only a patsy in the schemes hatched by his wife Lucius and the CIA, who are working together to undermine the Queen, Lucius’ longtime rival.

Maggie Smith as Lucius Malfoy Bluthton – Lucius is Mickey’s enemy. She is the dark heart of the Bluthtons, but also the only woman who understands his position. They alone understand what is going on. The Queen hates Lucius, who once said something very cutting about her favorite dog, and wants nothing more than to destroy the Bluthtons. But Lucius is always one step ahead, even as her own hubris brings down her plans episode after episode.

William Arnett as Gawb Bluthton – “Oi, it’s Gawb, innit?!” With that catchphrase, fan-favorite Gawb bursts into ever scene. Gawb, the false magician, has even less idea what is going on than his father, King George. He is obsessed with becoming a true practitioner of magic, and is perpetually mocked by the narrator, Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint). Gawb believes his magic can restore the family’s fortunes. He does not realize it, but he has saved the family on several occasions, intercepting letters from the Queen that would take away their title and flinging them into the sea. Gawb believes defeating the mail will win him his powers.

Scarlet Johansson/Uma Thurman/Jane Krakowski/Jennifer Aniston/Billie Piper as Lindsay Bluthton – Lindsay is Mickey and Gawb’s vain and selfish sister. She believes she should be the one to lead the Bluthtons, and perpetually schemes to destroy her mother and take over. However, she is very stupid. Lindsay is played at random by one of five different actresses, but the characters never comment. She hates her husband Funky T, but sexually obsessed with him.

Byron "Buster" Bluth (played by Tony Hale) is the youngest son of George Sr. and Lucille, though it is later revealed that his biological father is actually George Sr.'s identical twin brother, Oscar. (Oscar and Buster share obvious personality traits and a mutual habit for awkwardly giving people shoulder massages.)
As indicated by the narrator in season 2, despite being typically childish, Buster is probably more intelligent than his siblings Gob and Lindsay. He has frequent panic attacks, hates both closed and open spaces, is terrified of sheep, seals, and birds, and is wrathfully rivalrous toward his Korean-born adopted brother, Annyong. Buster demonstrates various childlike nutritional sensitivities as well: for instance, he becomes hyperactive from the sugar in juice and irritable after eating cheese; he also takes frequent naps. He has an unhealthy attachment to his domineering mother Lucille; one of the running gags throughout the series is his quasi-incestuous, Oedipal complex. For her part, Lucille won't let him go in the sun, swim in the ocean, or stand on their balcony in windy weather. George Sr. makes reference to the "claw marks" left on Lucille's womb after she gave birth to Buster. He sometimes tries to assert his independence by defying his mother's orders, as when he dates her rival, Lucille Austero. He has an alienating habit of greeting people with shoulder massages, and commonly addresses his relatives by their relation to him (for example, Gob and Michael are greeted with "Hey, brother" and Oscar is greeted with "Hey, uncle-father Oscar." Steve Holt is greeted with "Hey, possible nephew"). Buster seems to have inherited many personality quirks from his biological father Oscar, such as his cluelessness, doughiness, and propensity to give shoulder massages. Despite his obvious personality flaws, Buster does care about the rest of his family more than many of the other Bluths, shown when he, unlike the rest of his siblings, does not sell the company stocks at Michael's request and fakes a coma so that he wouldn't have to testify against his family.

In the second season premiere, Lucille spontaneously enlists Buster in the United States Army at the urging of a Michael Moore impersonator. Although Buster's training is poor, his possible deployment to Iraq is a recurring fear of his and his mother's. This possibility is abruptly nullified when Buster's left hand is bitten off by a "loose seal" (note the pun on "Lucille"), when he impulsively gets the courage to jump into the ocean one day after years of being afraid to swim. In subsequent episodes he wears a trans-radial prosthetic on his left arm that is sometimes a hook and other times a prosthetic hand.

In season 4, Buster reenlists in the Army for a sense of purpose after his mother Lucille is arrested and Lucille Austero rejects him for being unable to have a relationship rather than view her as a surrogate mother. In the Army, Buster is unwittingly made a UAV pilot (thinking he is merely playing a video game), but is "wounded" after falling out of his chair, receiving several commendations and being fitted with an oversized robotic hand that makes more powerful motions than he can control. Realizing for the first time that he has been killing people as a UAV pilot, he fakes failing his physical therapy, eventually failing the "Q Test" (cute test) in which he proves he is able to control his prosthetic when he delicately holds a kitten. After being discharged from the Army, he meets Herbert Love's wife, Ophelia, who takes pity on him and convinces her husband to let him stay with the family, suggesting he could be useful to the campaign as a poster child against wasteful government spending. She later sleeps with Buster in retaliation for photos she finds of Herbert and Lindsay, but then breaks it off with him after Herbert ends his affair and wants to make the marriage work. At Cinco de Cuatro, Buster knocks Herbert unconscious with his prosthetic hand after being told by Perfecto Telles (an anti-bullying squad member defending Maeby) that Herbert is a bully. His storyline in the fourth season ends with him being arrested for Lucille Austero's murder after being seen around the staircar where her body went missing.
Entertainment Weekly selected Buster as the uncle for "The Perfect TV Family".[10]

Ricky Gervais as Funky T – Funky T is Lindsay’s husband. He wants to become a policeman, but like his wife is very stupid. Funky T refuses to take off his clothing, but Ricky Gervais likewise refuses to appear on screen wearing anything at all. So Funky T instead spends much of his time declaring that he is wearing pants, or talking about how much he likes the pants he is wearing. Gervais is four inches, uncut.

Sarah Michaels as Funky May – Funky T and Lindsay’s daughter, Funky May is a gifted wizard but refuses to reveal this to Gawb. Jo-Jo and the narrator, Ron Weasley, are in love with her. Funky May wishes only to be rid of the curse of magic, which she hopes to accomplish by defeating the mail. In every episode, she struggles to get to the mail before Gawb throws it into the sea. She never succeeds.

Rupert Grint as The Narrator, Ron Weasley – Rupert Grint narrates the show in-character as Harry Potter’s friend Ron Weasley. He constantly mocks the strange habits of Muggles, and despises the false magician Gawb. He is in love with Funky May, but knows he cannot have her, so instead seeks to arrange it so that she and Jo-Jo fall in love. He has no power to influence the events of the show, but nevertheless tries. He is a liar and a fool.

Who are your favorite characters? What was their funniest misadventure? Please discuss this cult classic, and its upcoming 35th season, in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is amazing. Best OP ever.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

http://i.imgur.com/1GcE7PE.gifv

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sir Jeffrey Tambor

Hear, hear!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Good poo poo, OP

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Byron "Buster" Bluth (played by Tony Hale) is the youngest son of George Sr. and Lucille, though it is later revealed that his biological father is actually George Sr.'s identical twin brother, Oscar. (Oscar and Buster share obvious personality traits and a mutual habit for awkwardly giving people shoulder massages.)
As indicated by the narrator in season 2, despite being typically childish, Buster is probably more intelligent than his siblings Gob and Lindsay. He has frequent panic attacks, hates both closed and open spaces, is terrified of sheep, seals, and birds, and is wrathfully rivalrous toward his Korean-born adopted brother, Annyong. Buster demonstrates various childlike nutritional sensitivities as well: for instance, he becomes hyperactive from the sugar in juice and irritable after eating cheese; he also takes frequent naps. He has an unhealthy attachment to his domineering mother Lucille; one of the running gags throughout the series is his quasi-incestuous, Oedipal complex. For her part, Lucille won't let him go in the sun, swim in the ocean, or stand on their balcony in windy weather. George Sr. makes reference to the "claw marks" left on Lucille's womb after she gave birth to Buster. He sometimes tries to assert his independence by defying his mother's orders, as when he dates her rival, Lucille Austero. He has an alienating habit of greeting people with shoulder massages, and commonly addresses his relatives by their relation to him (for example, Gob and Michael are greeted with "Hey, brother" and Oscar is greeted with "Hey, uncle-father Oscar." Steve Holt is greeted with "Hey, possible nephew"). Buster seems to have inherited many personality quirks from his biological father Oscar, such as his cluelessness, doughiness, and propensity to give shoulder massages. Despite his obvious personality flaws, Buster does care about the rest of his family more than many of the other Bluths, shown when he, unlike the rest of his siblings, does not sell the company stocks at Michael's request and fakes a coma so that he wouldn't have to testify against his family.

In the second season premiere, Lucille spontaneously enlists Buster in the United States Army at the urging of a Michael Moore impersonator. Although Buster's training is poor, his possible deployment to Iraq is a recurring fear of his and his mother's. This possibility is abruptly nullified when Buster's left hand is bitten off by a "loose seal" (note the pun on "Lucille"), when he impulsively gets the courage to jump into the ocean one day after years of being afraid to swim. In subsequent episodes he wears a trans-radial prosthetic on his left arm that is sometimes a hook and other times a prosthetic hand.

In season 4, Buster reenlists in the Army for a sense of purpose after his mother Lucille is arrested and Lucille Austero rejects him for being unable to have a relationship rather than view her as a surrogate mother. In the Army, Buster is unwittingly made a UAV pilot (thinking he is merely playing a video game), but is "wounded" after falling out of his chair, receiving several commendations and being fitted with an oversized robotic hand that makes more powerful motions than he can control. Realizing for the first time that he has been killing people as a UAV pilot, he fakes failing his physical therapy, eventually failing the "Q Test" (cute test) in which he proves he is able to control his prosthetic when he delicately holds a kitten. After being discharged from the Army, he meets Herbert Love's wife, Ophelia, who takes pity on him and convinces her husband to let him stay with the family, suggesting he could be useful to the campaign as a poster child against wasteful government spending. She later sleeps with Buster in retaliation for photos she finds of Herbert and Lindsay, but then breaks it off with him after Herbert ends his affair and wants to make the marriage work. At Cinco de Cuatro, Buster knocks Herbert unconscious with his prosthetic hand after being told by Perfecto Telles (an anti-bullying squad member defending Maeby) that Herbert is a bully. His storyline in the fourth season ends with him being arrested for Lucille Austero's murder after being seen around the staircar where her body went missing.
Entertainment Weekly selected Buster as the uncle for "The Perfect TV Family".[10]

I don't think this part's accurate.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I don't think this part's accurate.

Egon's not on board.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, let's quote our favourite lines from Resty Devvies!

"I royally cocked that up!"

"Who'd like a sausage?"
"It's called a banger in the mouth, my dear Mrs. Fatterbosom."

"No, that's not my bloody trick, Mickey, it's a loving illusion, ya c***!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

lenoon posted:

Good poo poo, OP

No kidding. :psyduck:

quote:

"No, that's not my bloody trick, Mickey, it's a loving illusion, ya c***!"

Almost fell out of my chair laughing at that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Resty Devvies Season Series 35 Anticipation Thread - Oi, it's Gawb, innit?!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

No one calls it the 'Gothic Castle', mate.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Silver Brushes posted:

Resty Devvies Season Series 35 Anticipation Thread - Oi, it's Gawb, innit?!
Right. Mods?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Thank you, mods!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I've seen three Resty Devvies actors in this Donald Trump movie so far. http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/ad38087bac/donald-trump-art-of-the-deal-movie?_cc=__m___&_ccid=bba1d56788101084

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty
So the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel from Netflix is subtitled Sword of Destiny. That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el2mz_D-GRQ

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MrXmas posted:

So the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel from Netflix is subtitled Sword of Destiny. That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el2mz_D-GRQ

I make up my own patter, thanks.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
TEA FOR DONG

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
they're actually not doing season 5 this year and this thread is dumb and not funny.

i guess just quote it for a million pages now. LOL he blue himself! classic!

this show deserves better.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

they're actually not doing season 5 this year and this thread is dumb and not funny.

Oh, look everyone, the arbiter of funniness has made a ruling, guess it's time to pack up the thread.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
The best thing to do to keep the show's fanbase engaged is to just not talk about the program, this program here, Arrested Development on the television. That is what the show deserves.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, your wife is dead!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

What is this, the Community thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

What is this, the Community thread?

A thread for ants?!

• Locked thread